Re: Flags

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 10 2:49 AM
      --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "Le Bateman" <LeBateman@A...> wrote:

      > Perhaps the person meant Battle Standards. The Saxons were said
      to have
      > used one, a Black flag with a white dragon on it.

      Hi Le,

      I have never heard of such a flag or standard being used by the
      Saxons (neither Old Saxons nor Anglo-Saxons). A red dragon is of
      course the ancient symbol of Wales. The Saxons on the continent (and
      in Britain) may have used a White Horse as their symbol.

      For the Visigoths and the Ostrogoths of the late 5th (and 6th to 8th
      century) I think the only really conceivable symbolism would be that
      of the Christian Chi-Rho and/or the image of Christ. The Visigoths
      put the image of Christ on their coins from the mid-7th century
      onwards and speculatively one might assume that they used a similar
      empleme on standards etc.

      Cheers