Re: *bleis, dauthubleis*

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 21, 2004
      I've wondered about that bilis connection too. As for the
      adjective, if bli'waz > Go. blius (cf. lasius beside the more normal
      lasiws), it could easily have come to be treated as a u-stem, which
      would explain dauthubljans.

      On the other hand, OE bleo (the noun) is discussed in Campbell's Old
      English Grammar, 578.5: bleo "has a diphthong due to early
      contraction but is historically a ja- stem, Gmc. blija-." And in a
      footnote: "distinguish bliwa- 'lead', ON bly', OHG blio, bli". He
      sounds quite definite on this, but I don't know the full evidence.

      There's also (maybe coincidentally) an OIc.: daudyfli, neut. 'dead
      thing, carcass' - though Zoega divides this up daud- + yfli.

      Not sure if that gets us anywhere...

      Llama Nom

      --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "thiudans" <thiudans@y...> wrote:

      > As I am hand-correcting Bosworth-Toller for Sean Crist's project,
      > I often imagine what the Go. form of a certain OE word might be,
      > or if there's one that already exists. Translating an OE sentence
      > happened upon the word (ge)-bleoh, -bleo' "coloured". A search
      > in Gerhard Koebler's GW finds the entry *-bleis, "coloured"; but
      > the etymological information is lacking. He suggest possible
      > connexion to Lw. Lat. -bilis.
      >
      > This seems a bit questionable in light of the possibility of being
      > cognate with the abovementioned Gmc. (OE) form. Falk Fick
      > Torp (286) has under the entry *bli-1 scheinen (< PIE
      *bhle'[i,u])
      > *blîwa- "Farbe" citing A-S and Fris. examples with meanings
      > colour or coloured.
      >
      > Thus we may postulate a Germ. *bli'wam "colour" and *bli'waz
      > "coloured" Go. -bleis (from 1 Cor. 4,9 in Cod. Ambr. A, the Acc.
      Pl.