Re: Barbarians and Gladiatorial Combat (MORE DOORS)

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 19, 2004
      UPDATE:

      More Houses of Many Doors:

      In Bosi & Herraud's Saga (Bósa saga ok Herrauds), the magician king
      Gudmund of Glasisvellir has a hall with a hundred doors. And a
      recurring motif in Scots Gaelic folktales is the idea of a house with
      a door for every day of the year (see JF Campbell: 'Popular Tales of
      the West Highlands') - which suggests an astronomical myth.

      Also re. Valhall, the first element of the name Hlidskjalf has been
      linked to a Norse word for 'gate', as though possibly inspired by (or
      contrariwise, the inspiration behind) the many doors of Odin's hall.

      Llama Nom

      --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "llama_nom" <penterakt@f...> wrote:

      > Hi Mikael,
      >
      > How did barbarians see the gladitorial combal? As paradise,
      > according to one scholar! Have you heard of M Olsen's theory that
      > Valhall was a memory of colloseum? As described in Grimnismal and
      > Snorri's Gylfaginning, Valhall has 540 doors, and houses warriors
      who
      > spend every day fighting each other. Rudolf Simek, in his
      Dictionary
      > of Northern Mythology (original: Lexikon der germanischen
      Mythologie)