Dative Verbs

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 19, 2004
      While we're in a Gothic composition frenzy, here's my list of verbs
      that take dative - which sometimes comes in handy. Not necessarily
      complete, just the few listed by Wright + those I've spotted since.
      So if you see any gaps... Or if anyone has a more definitive list?

      agljan
      in-aljanon
      (bi-aukan - dat. for person who benefits from the increase, acc. for
      thing of theirs which is increased/added to - an ethic dative
      construction, rather than dat. dir. obj.)
      awiliudon
      and-bahtjan
      bairgan
      balwjan
      ana-biudan, faur-biudan
      uf-brikan
      fra-bugjan - dat. once for commodity; otherwise acc.
      drauhtinon
      us-dreiban - dat. or acc. (same meaning)
      frathjan
      fraujinon - but: thiudanon ufar +dat.
      gaumjan
      and-hafjan - dat. for person answered
      haftjan, sik ga-haftjan, ga-haftnan
      ana-haitan - +dat. = scold; +acc. = invoke
      and-haitan
      hamon, ga-hamon (ana-hamon not attested with object)
      hleibjan
      ga-horinon
      mith-us-hramjan
      us-kiusan - +dat. = reject; +acc. = prove, test, choose
      kukjan - but bi-kukjan +acc.
      fra-kunnan
      ga-laubjan - "to believe in", but "to believe that" +acc.
      ga-leikon, sik ga-ga-leikon, thairh-galeikon - +dat. 'imitate, act/be
      like'; +acc. compare "to" +dat.
      bi-leithan - dat. or acc. (same meaning)
      af-letan
      fra-liusan
      ga-mainjan, ga-ga-mainjan
      mith-matjan
      ufar-munnon
      ga-motjan
      mith-qiman
      fra-qiman - only dat. attested (maybe acc. possible too?)
      us-qiman - dat. or acc. (same meaning)
      us-qistjan, fra-qistjan - dat. or acc. (same meaning)
      af-qithan - (but af-aikan +acc.)
      faur-qithan
      rignjan - dat. for what falls
      sakan, ga-sakan - the latter also found with acc.
      siponjan
      skaidan - dat. or acc., possibly with no difference in meaning;
      attested examples: +dat. = "sever" e.g. bond of matrimony (thatei nu
      guth gawath, manna thamma ni skaidai 'what God has joined, let no man
      put asunder'); +dat. or +acc. = "split, cause to separate" e.g.
      skaidan mannan withra attan 'divide a man against his father'; qenai
      fairra abin ni skaidan 'not to part a wife from her husband'. Also:
      skaidith sik 'he departs', lit. "separates himself".
      skalkinon
      ga-skathjan
      ?*skiutan (only recorded in Crimean, but cf. ON skjo'ta +dat. for
      missile & Go. wairpan, etc.)
      and-standan
      straujan, uf-straujan (ga-straujan not attested with object)
      tekan, at-tekan
      ga-trauan
      ufar-trusnjan - dat. of substance sprinkled
      ga-tharban
      ga-thlaihan
      us-thriutan
      wairpan, ga-wairpan, af-wairpan, us-wairpan - dat. or acc. (same
      meaning)
      waldan, ga-waldan
      wasjan, [sik] ga-wasjan
      id-weitjan
      fra-wisan
      witan 3 - "to keep watch over"

      Typically verbs meaning "to act as" or "to perform the role of X
      towards" - especially 2nd weak verbs, many ending -inon - take dative
      for the person thus served.

      Verbs with the prefix mith- take dat. for the person with whom the
      action is performed. Some verbs with the prefix af-, but not all.

      Verbs of throwing/raining/strewing/sprinkling take dat. for missile.

      Derivatives of hamon & wasjan take dat. for item of clothing being
      put on.

      As in modern German, Russian, etc., doing something to a particular
      part of someone (hitting face, washing feet, cutting ear off, etc.)
      often expressed with person in dat., body-part in acc.

      Many verbs of destruction, loss and injury take dat. for thing harmed
      or lost, at least optionally. Where dat. & acc. indicate different
      meanings, the dat. usually signals the more negative one.
      Synonyms don't necessarily take the same case.