[gothic-l] Re: introductions

  • Ulf Wiman
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 27, 1998
      > >My main interests in Gothic are compositional, with an emphasis
      > >(currently) on recreating the Gothic 'voice', and I am thus
      > >fundamentally interested in 'filling in' the Gothic vocabulary through
      > >comparative linguistics.
      > we have a lot of work to do on that, afaik there are many gaps in the
      > vocabulary (fx 4th, 7th ...)
      >

      > >PS: Eric, do you have the addresses of those who were on the original
      > >Gothic list? There were some great minds. Maybe they are on the group
      > >right now! That would be great. In any event, could you relate what
      > >has happened with you since your sudden disappearance, as well as the
      > >cause thereof?
      >
      > i guess i can find them, i will check and enter anybody that i find. u could
      > try to write some kind of welcome message, i guess u got the one i wrote
      > (not very long), ur english is better than mine
      > i ll write about me when we have some more pple
      >
      > tx for helping me to do this once more
      >
      > eric

      Dear Eric:

      I find you idea of reviving or re-instating the Gothic language very fascinating.

      Ulfie

      -----
      See the original message at http://www.egroups.com/list/gothic-l/?start=3
    • M. Edward Carver
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 27, 1998
        ULF!!! good to read that your on the list! I think you were one of the
        original persons Eric and I talked with about starting the list the last
        time. How are your studies going?

        --Matt
      • Ulf Wiman
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 28, 1998
          Matt:

          I would like to see, my own opinion, and maybe somewhat naive, an attempt to promote an interest in the Gothic language and to advance a language resuscitation based on the embers of Gothic. This does not involve any Wagnerian fantasy with racial overtones. By Gothic we don't mean a literary �horror' genre or an architecture style, but a language revival based on real Gothic. This could not entirely be the Wulfian Gothic of the fourth century, but a language using the existing structures of the language and utilizing examples of other language movements, e.g. Cornish, Ivrit (Hebrew), and Nynorsk (New Norse). This by its nature does not entail a "pure" Gothic of the fourth-century language, but a language capable of neologism and loan translations from Germanic languages, like contemporary German and Icelandic, e.g.

          Script: Gothic probably needs to employ the Latin script without any diacritical marks in order to make it comply with ANSI conventions.
          Pronunciation: The Germanic pronunciation of Icelandic could be an "ideal," not the standard, but rather a direction.
          Grammar: It retains as much as possible of the Wulfian grammar.
          Glossaries: Known Gothic words, Germanic loan translations.
          Syntax: Like modern Germanic languages.

          Ulfie (just a thought!)

          > at http://www.eGroups.com -- Free Web-based e-mail groups.

          -----
          See the original message at http://www.egroups.com/list/gothic-l/?start=8
        • Eric Craven
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 29, 1998
            Ulf Wiman wrote:

            > Matt:
            >
            > I would like to see, my own opinion, and maybe somewhat naive, an attempt to promote an interest in the Gothic language and to advance a language resuscitation based on the embers of Gothic. This does not involve any Wagnerian fantasy with racial overtones. By Gothic we don't mean a literary �horror' genre or an architecture style, but a language revival based on real Gothic. This could not entirely be the Wulfian Gothic of the fourth century, but a language using the existing structures of the language and utilizing examples of other language movements, e.g. Cornish, Ivrit (Hebrew), and Nynorsk (New Norse). This by its nature does not entail a "pure" Gothic of the fourth-century language, but a language capable of neologism and loan translations from Germanic languages, like contemporary German and Icelandic, e.g.
            >
            > Script: Gothic probably needs to employ the Latin script without any diacritical marks in order to make it comply with ANSI conventions.

            well, i dont like the idea of changing it all, fx [ai] (=short e) changing to something else...., but does anyone have any ideas what it would look like finally?

            > Pronunciation: The Germanic pronunciation of Icelandic could be an "deal," not the standard, but rather a direction.

            isnt the pronounciation more or less known? my book provides quite an exact guide to pronounciation (maybe its wrong, dunno..)

            > Grammar: It retains as much as possible of the Wulfian grammar.

            i`d say we keep all, or what would u abolish?

            > Glossaries: Known Gothic words, Germanic loan translations.

            loan words is a good idea

            > Syntax: Like modern Germanic languages.

            dont we have enough syntax in the known texts? we could stay with that, i`d prefer a gothic as close to the original as possible.
            btw anyone prepared to try to talk in gothic via irc/...?
            we could try to open a channel once more..

            eric

          • Engill
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 5, 2007
              --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "Ulf Wiman" <Esperanto3@...> wrote:

              > Matt:
              >
              > I would like to see, my own opinion, and maybe somewhat naive, an
              attempt to promote an interest in the Gothic language and to advance
              a language resuscitation based on the embers of Gothic. This does
              not involve any Wagnerian fantasy with racial overtones. By Gothic
              we don't mean a literary `horror' genre or an architecture style, but
              a language revival based on real Gothic. This could not entirely be
              the Wulfian Gothic of the fourth century, but a language using the
              existing structures of the language and utilizing examples of other
              language movements, e.g. Cornish, Ivrit (Hebrew), and Nynorsk (New
              Norse). This by its nature does not entail a "pure" Gothic of the
              fourth-century language, but a language capable of neologism and loan
              translations from Germanic languages, like contemporary German and
              Icelandic, e.g.

              > Script: Gothic probably needs to employ the Latin script without
              any diacritical marks in order to make it comply with ANSI
              conventions.
              > Pronunciation: The Germanic pronunciation of Icelandic could be
              an "ideal," not the standard, but rather a direction.
              > Grammar: It retains as much as possible of the Wulfian grammar.
              > Glossaries: Known Gothic words, Germanic loan translations.
              > Syntax: Like modern Germanic languages.
              >
              > Ulfie (just a thought!)

              hails all members of the list

              I´m not a linguist but i´m very interested in having a gothic
              language I can use in my heathen practices. After reading thru the
              list I found the introductory course by David Salo. I´ll work on it
              and ask as many question I can. I would be very nice to be able to
              hold a ritual for my ancestors in their language or a new version
              based on it.

              Jah Frith ana sunya

              Aggilus