[gothic-l] Re: gothic grammar, chapter 1

  • M. Edward Carver
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 3, 1998
      Eric Craven wrote:

      > have a look, if its interesting ill provide more. maybe someone can
      > translate for the
      > non-german-speakers...

      Introduction

      I. The Goths and their Language

      a)The Gothic language was the language of the germanic people, the Goths
      (also Goutwone[s], Gutones). These branches probably separated in the
      early 3rd century and were earlier known as "Ostrogotae" and "Visigotae"
      but today they are commonly East Goths and West Goths. Neither did they
      play a historically insignificant role in the era of tribal migrations.
      The Goths disappear from history with the fall of the East Gothic empire
      into Italy and West Gothic empire into Spain.
      b) The Goths belong to a group of germanic branches that is often
      refered to as the "Gothic Group" or, by Pliny the Elder (hist. nat. iv,
      99), as the "Vandalic Group" (Wandals, Vandali, Bandiloi). The more
      important members of this group are, besides the Goths, the Gepidi,
      Vandali, Burgundii, Heruli, Rugii and Sciri. These tribes were
      originally situated in the northernmost part of central Europe,
      approximately from the Elbe river east to the Weichsel. Their languages
      were probably closely related, though apart from Gothic there are only
      extremely scarce linguistic remnants (almost entirely proper nouns in
      non-germanic transcriptions), thereby disallowing any precise picture of
      the relationships between the languages. That the linguistic connection
      could generally be considered old is improbable; often we must take into
      account later, mutual influences.
      c) We thus distinguish the Gothic (or Vandalic) tribe, linguistically
      East Germanic, from the remaining germanic peoples (linguistically North
      and West Germanic).

      Matt
    • Christian Petersen
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 5, 1998
        M. Edward Carver wrote:

        > Eric Craven wrote:
        > >
        > > have a look, if its interesting ill provide more. maybe someone can
        > > translate for the
        > > non-german-speakers...
        >
        > Introduction
        >
        > I. The Goths and their Language
        >
        > a)The Gothic language was the language of the germanic people, the Goths
        No, it should be:
        'The Gothic language was the vernacular of the Germanic tribe OF the
        Goths.' However, everyone be warned: Carl Hostetter is right in giving a
        hint on the copyright. Since I have contact to the publisher, I know
        about it. The restrictions in force always depend on the respective
        country.
        So, before you put too much effort in it, keep in mind that even a
        translation should be used for personal use only. At best, Eric might
        use it for a single teaching purpose over in Japan, for instance.
        I'm just telling you this right-in-time lest you are disappointed later
        on.
        Have a nice week; Chris