Re: Goths and Vandals

    Message 1 of 38 , Sep 16, 2004
      --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, James Young <daddio52@s...> wrote:
      > Hail Llama Nom,
      >
      > Sorry for the delay.
      >
      > Did you say that there was no German word for "Greeks" before 350
      CE? Wow! Is that must from runic evidence? And that must be
      Scandanavian. Maybe that is too far west. Still, what a shocking
      omission. It disappoints me to learn that there were no German
      stories of Persians or Parthians, no references to Cyrus or Darius
      and their trans Danube forays.

      Hi,

      I read some articles about the Germanic graves of Gommern (ca. 300)
      and Hassleben. The former is the riches Germanic grave ever
      discovered. Gommern and Hassleben are in Germany. These graves
      included objects from the Black Sea region and the dead even got a
      Charons penny in their mouths, indicating that some Greek practices
      had travelled north as well.

      Cheers
      Message 38 of 38 , Sep 16, 2004