Re: [gothic-l] Re: Baltic Amber

  • James Young
    Message 1 of 34 , Jul 18, 2004
      Thanks Ingemar,

      Somebody from one of Hermanric's vassal states murdered him, right? Just before a battle with the Huns on the Don or the Dneiper? The Huns killed his replacement and subjugated the Ostrogoths and other tribes. Then Athanaric and the Visigoths out of Dacia tried to stop them at the Dniester. They failed. Despite an agreement to stay out of the Empire after the Procopius debacle, Athanaric runs to Constantinople where he gets murdered. There is another reference to Athanaric as a short term leader of the Visigoths in Moetia after Fritigern dies, but before Alaric. I don't know if that is the same guy.

      The idea of kings is more of an eastern philosophy while in the west elected judges still ruled smaller groups of communities. Alaric is I think the first king of the Visigoths and he is from the Balthus family who's royalty, like the Amani family (Hermanric, et al) is from the east Fritigern and Athanaric are great western leaders at thi time of hermanric, but they weren't kings.

      Jim

      Ingemar Nordgren <ingemar@...> wrote:
      --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, James Young <daddio52@s...> wrote:
      > Ingemar,
      >
      > Do you think Hermanric, the Ostrogoth, was trying to cut the Huns
      out of the northern silk routs?

      > Were there two Athanarics?
      >
      > Jim

      Hi Jim,

      I've never heard of that. The extent of his supposed realm only is
      suggested by Cassiodorus/Jordanes and hence we know little of it.
      Archaeology shows the way the Goths spread from the North but
      archaeological finds do not suggest a Gothic control of the silk
      routes in the time of Ermanarik - as far as I know anyway. He had work
      enough to try to stop the Hunnic onslaught after they were driven
      westwards themselves. As you know he didn't succed and Balamber took
      over and made the Ostrogoths subordinated allies. Concerning the
      kindins Athanarik there was only one but Jordanes mentiones him in one
      context rather as Gothic/Ostrogothic king than Vesigothic kindins but
      in another section he is Vesigothic. It needs kind of interpretation
      when reading Getica.

      Best

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

    • James Young
      Message 34 of 34 , Jul 27, 2004
        Goljan Greg,

        Check this web site. They may have something for you:
        http://www.ling.upenn.edu/~kurisuto/germanic/goth_wright_glossary.html

        Bi-wisa,
        Jim

        greg scaff <g_scaff@...> wrote:
        Hails,
        I am wondering which colleges/ universities in the
        U.S. offer courses in Gotish- I've seen references to
        "Germanic Studies' which apparently can mean sometimes
        German. Please reply privately to my email, any
        replys will be appreciated.
        Thanks,
        Greg