Re: Gothic 'jah' & 'auk'

    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 27, 2004
      --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "llama_nom" <penterakt@f...> wrote:
      > Regarding Gothic JAH, Koebler suggests it is a combination of JA + -
      > UH, the latter being an enclitic particle attached to the end of a
      > word to mean "and", like Lat. -que, with which I think it is
      cognate:

      The Gothic enclitic particle -(u)h "and" is cognate with enclitic
      particles in other Indo-European languages with the same
      significance, for instance: Lat. -que, Greek -te, Sanskrit -ca.
      The reconstructed Proto-IE form is *-qwe.

      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1, 2004
        Here's a very interesting article about Gothic enclitics, including -
        uh, and their Indo-European background: "Indo-European
        > Syntactic Rules & Gothic Morphology", by Vyacheslav V Ivanov.

        http://www.humnet.ucla.edu/pies/pdfs/IESV/1/VVI_Gothic_syntax.pdf

        Llama Nom

        --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "Francisc Czobor" <fericzobor@y...>