Re: Spanish Goths

  • Ingemar Nordgren
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 6, 2004
      Exellent! Thank you very much. Merci beacoup!

      Ingemar

      --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "Denis Glenard" <denisglenard@y...>
      wrote:
      > Here is a bibliography on the subject:
      >
      > "Histoire des races Maudites de la France et de l'Espagne" (Michel
      Francisque, 1847)
      > "Histoire del Peuples et des Etats Pyrenees " (Cenac Moncaut, 1873)
      > "Las horas solitarias" (Pío Baroja, 1918)
      > "El barrio maldito" (Félix Urabayen, 1925)
      > "Bozate y los Agotes. Enigma histórico" (Julio Altadil, 1934)
      > "Histoire des Cagots" (Osmin Ricau, 1963)
      > "Documentos sobre agotes y grupos afines en Navarra" (Florencio
      Idoate, 1973)
      > "Los agotes" (María del Carmen Aguirre Delclaux, 1977).
      >
      > Best regards,
      >
      > Denis GLENARD
    • Ingemar Nordgren
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 6, 2004
        Dear Ferdinand,

        Thank you very much for this contribution to the understanding of
        cagotes and their problem.

        Ingemar

        --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "F.E.J.D. IV" <visigoth@a...> wrote:

        > I have some information that may be of help but I think in the end,
        > the Cagots will still be an enigma.
      • Ingemar Nordgren
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 6, 2004
          Fantastical Fernando!

          Where did you find this old Swedish text? I am impressed and it is
          quite amusing to read.

          Best
          Ingemar

          --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "F.E.J.D. IV" <visigoth@a...> wrote:

          > Cagots, en folkstam, som annu lefver på snorra slutninggarna af
          > Pyreneerna afvensom I Bretagne, Poitou, Gascogne och Guienne I
          > Frankrike samt I Baskiska provinserna I Spanien. Den uppkom i 13:de
          > årh. och härstammar från spetälska personer, som uteslutis ur
          > samhället. Under flere århundraden behandlades cagots som parias. De
          > fingo gifta sig endast med hvarandra, voro uteslunta från åtskilliga
          > verksamhetsområden, måste under gudstjensten uppehålla sig i ett
          > afskildt rum i kyrkan o. S. V. Oaktadt lagstiftningen och
          > lagskipningen redan på 1600-talet sökte skydda dem och 1789 års
          > revolution gafdem medborgerliga råtigheter, har dock fördomen mot dem
          > ännu icke helt och hållet gifvit sig. Deras utseende och språk skilja
          > sig icke från den omgifvande befolkningens. I Pyreneerna äro de i
          > allmänhet snickare eller tunnbindare. Jfr V. De Rochas, "Les parias de
          > France et d'Espagne" (1876) och en på detta arbete grundad uppsats sf
          > Louis-Laude, "Les Cagots et leur congeneres" (i Revue des deux mondes
          > for 1878).
          >
          > Cheers
          > F.E.J.D.
        • F.E.J.D. IV
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 6, 2004
            Dear Ingemar,
            Glad it was of some value. I believe it is either from an 1888 Swedish
            edition of Weners Konversations Lexicon or from the 1870´s ed. of
            Nordisk Familjebok. I will try to verify this in the near future.
            Unfortunately, I forgot to note the source on the photocopy.

            Cheers,
            F.E.J.D.
            Fernando Eladio Jiménez Díaz

            --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "Ingemar Nordgren" <ingemar@n...> wrote:
            > Fantastical Fernando!
            >
            > Where did you find this old Swedish text? I am impressed and it is
            > quite amusing to read.
            >
            > Best
            > Ingemar
            >

            > --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "F.E.J.D. IV" <visigoth@a...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Cagots, en folkstam, som annu lefver på snorra slutninggarna af
            > > Pyreneerna afvensom I Bretagne, Poitou, Gascogne och Guienne I
            > > Frankrike samt I Baskiska provinserna I Spanien. Den uppkom i 13:de
            > > årh. och härstammar från spetälska personer, som uteslutis ur
            > > samhället. Under flere århundraden behandlades cagots som parias. De
            > > fingo gifta sig endast med hvarandra, voro uteslunta från åtskilliga
            > > verksamhetsområden, måste under gudstjensten uppehålla sig i ett
            > > afskildt rum i kyrkan o. S. V. Oaktadt lagstiftningen och
            > > lagskipningen redan på 1600-talet sökte skydda dem och 1789 års
            > > revolution gafdem medborgerliga råtigheter, har dock fördomen mot dem
            > > ännu icke helt och hållet gifvit sig. Deras utseende och språk skilja
            > > sig icke från den omgifvande befolkningens. I Pyreneerna äro de i
            > > allmänhet snickare eller tunnbindare. Jfr V. De Rochas, "Les parias de
            > > France et d'Espagne" (1876) och en på detta arbete grundad uppsats sf
            > > Louis-Laude, "Les Cagots et leur congeneres" (i Revue des deux mondes
            > > for 1878).
            > >
            > > Cheers
            > > F.E.J.D.
          • F.E.J.D. IV
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 7, 2004
              Hello Denis,

              wrote:
              > Hi Fernando,

              > Denis G. wrote:
              > I guess my shortcut was too simplistic. What I mean is, IF there are
              some populations nowadays the origin of whom can be definitely traced
              to the Visigoths, would they have some specific genetic material that,
              if also found in the Cagots, would leave no doubt as to the Goth
              origin of the Cagots ?

              > I take it from your answer that it's not that simple or easy...

              I think I have a better handle on your question (now).
              Though I am a bit uncomfortable with the way the question is phrased -
              the short, simple and sloppy answer is yes –
              Nonetheless, the answer is really not so simple for several reasons
              but the most important reason is because good accuracy demands a
              foolproof well-connected study. One could make inferences by a small
              and quick study but it would only answer a "little" question and
              possibly cause great embarrassment during peer review since it would
              show a lack of rigor.
              Secondly, as concerns your strategy, you would have to substantiate
              the connection between the "present" population you postulate, and the
              Visigoths; thus, it would be seen as somewhat indirect (several extra
              steps).

              There is a more direct strategy. ---One can go directly to sources of
              "visigothic" organic material, namely, Visigothic necropoli. There are
              many Visigothic necropoli throughout the Iberian Peninsula. I am not
              sure if you read through my post where I brought up my "sampling
              strategy" but I have already collected, amplified and typed numerous
              samples from the latter, which could be used as references by which we
              can contrast samples from Cagot cemeteries or any other population.

              Now, let's go back to the beginning. --------- Although the stated
              strategy would provide some reasonably good answers (especially as
              concerns comparisons in Spain) I would feel terribly uncomfortable
              with the outcome since the study would not be deep enough to have the
              kind of certainty and breadth that I am comfortable with. Simply
              stated, the more samples in space and time the more certainty in the
              outcome. To just sample the necropoli in Spain would be to leave out
              too much data that could be had by sampling in Gothic necropoli in
              Italy and Romania and the Black Sea and between the Oder and Vistula
              and Vastergotland and Gotland. Doing the latter could answer many
              questions including, just how homogenous the Gothic tribe was at
              certain points in time. Even more titillating, it could provide a more
              definitive answer as concerns the area and population from which the
              formative Gothic tribe acquired its earliest adherents.

              Cheers,
              F.E.J.D.

              > If you don't mind, I'll pass your comments to the Basque genealogy
              groups where many people will be interested in learning more about the
              topic.

              > Best regards,
              >
              > Denis GLENARD

            • ertydfh110
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 9, 2011
                This guy is supposed to be a real Agote descendant. He is from the Batzan Vally in the Pirineos (where many agotes lived). He also played as an Agote in a recent film.

                Picture:
                http://zuzeu.com/wp-content/uploads/zuzeu/03_11/4742_medium_xegone.jpg

                Video:
                http://www.eitb.com/es/videos/detalle/617762/el-conquistador-entrevista-xegone/
              • ertydfh110
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 9, 2011
                  I add another curiosity. In this case it is not an Agote. Last week on Spanish television there was a program about Spanish nobility. There was a man, who is a marques, that in the minute 23:50 he is showing his family genealogy and he says that he is an ancestor or Ervigio, a gothic king:

                  http://www.rtve.es/noticias/20111003/comando-actualidad-zona-noble/465800.shtml

                  From minute 20 he is on the program and on 23:50 he shows his genealogical tree.

                  It is just a curiosity.
                • OSCAR HERRE
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 9, 2011
                     my name is derived from the gothic namesakes......i have descendants from noth central sspain and up to the northeastern part at the border of france.......back to the 16th century,,,,,,

                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 9, 2011
                      also read when i was in college thru historical records that the goth were  say like the u. s. marines when they collaborated to turn back the muslim invasion......

                      I add another curiosity. In this case it is not an Agote. Last week on Spanish television there was a program about Spanish nobility. There was a man, who is a marques, that in the minute 23:50 he is showing his family genealogy and he says that he is an ancestor or Ervigio, a gothic king:

                      http://www.rtve.es/noticias/20111003/comando-actualidad-zona-noble/465800.shtml

                      From minute 20 he is on the program and on 23:50 he shows his genealogical tree.

                      It is just a curiosity.

                    • OSCAR HERRE
                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 9, 2011
                        the goths changed all western european history thru their trimphs and tribulations and yet they have only chosen a modest civilized world with peace and prosperity....

                        I add another curiosity. In this case it is not an Agote. Last week on Spanish television there was a program about Spanish nobility. There was a man, who is a marques, that in the minute 23:50 he is showing his family genealogy and he says that he is an ancestor or Ervigio, a gothic king:

                        http://www.rtve.es/noticias/20111003/comando-actualidad-zona-noble/465800.shtml

                        From minute 20 he is on the program and on 23:50 he shows his genealogical tree.

                        It is just a curiosity.