Re: Spanish Goths

  • Ingemar Nordgren
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 6, 2004
      Bonjour Denis,

      Mertci beacoup pour ton aidé. Je veux volontier trouver tous qui est
      possible. Les langues etrangère pour mois son naturellemant
      l'Angleterre et l'Allemande fluissant mais je comprend aussi Français
      resonable et jeu peu lire aussi Espanjol mais pas très bon - je
      comprend le sense. C'est a dire je suis interessé en tous les languages.

      Bonnes saluts
      Ingemar

      --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "Denis Glenard" <denisglenard@y...>
      wrote:
      > Bonjour Ingemar,
      >
      > Pas de problème pour trouver des textes sur les Cagots, il y en a
      beaucoup sur Internet, mais en français ou en espagnol.
      > Il faut savoir qu'il est possible que certains de ces cagots,
      chassés devant les armées arabo-berbères, se soient retrouvés en
      Bretagne, où ils étaient appelés "cagous". Je ne sais pas s'il y a des
      textes en anglais ou en allemand sur ce sujet, puisque je ne sais pas
      comment on les nomme dans ces langues, il est donc difficile de faire
      une recherche.

      > I can try and find out more about the subject in french and / or
      spanish if you wish. Just let me know which of the 3 languages you're
      comfortable with, although my guess is that this list is largely
      english speaking.
    • Ingemar Nordgren
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 6, 2004
        Exellent! Thank you very much. Merci beacoup!

        wrote:
        > Here is a bibliography on the subject:
        >
        > "Histoire des races Maudites de la France et de l'Espagne" (Michel
        Francisque, 1847)
        > "Histoire del Peuples et des Etats Pyrenees " (Cenac Moncaut, 1873)
        > "Las horas solitarias" (Pío Baroja, 1918)
        > "El barrio maldito" (Félix Urabayen, 1925)
        > "Bozate y los Agotes. Enigma histórico" (Julio Altadil, 1934)
        > "Histoire des Cagots" (Osmin Ricau, 1963)
        > "Documentos sobre agotes y grupos afines en Navarra" (Florencio
        Idoate, 1973)
        > "Los agotes" (María del Carmen Aguirre Delclaux, 1977).
        >
        > Best regards,
        >
        > Denis GLENARD
      • Ingemar Nordgren
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 6, 2004
          Dear Ferdinand,

          Thank you very much for this contribution to the understanding of
          cagotes and their problem.

          Ingemar

          --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "F.E.J.D. IV" <visigoth@a...> wrote:

          > I have some information that may be of help but I think in the end,
          > the Cagots will still be an enigma.
        • Ingemar Nordgren
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 6, 2004
            Fantastical Fernando!

            Where did you find this old Swedish text? I am impressed and it is
            quite amusing to read.

            Best
            Ingemar

            --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "F.E.J.D. IV" <visigoth@a...> wrote:

            > Cagots, en folkstam, som annu lefver på snorra slutninggarna af
            > Pyreneerna afvensom I Bretagne, Poitou, Gascogne och Guienne I
            > Frankrike samt I Baskiska provinserna I Spanien. Den uppkom i 13:de
            > årh. och härstammar från spetälska personer, som uteslutis ur
            > samhället. Under flere århundraden behandlades cagots som parias. De
            > fingo gifta sig endast med hvarandra, voro uteslunta från åtskilliga
            > verksamhetsområden, måste under gudstjensten uppehålla sig i ett
            > afskildt rum i kyrkan o. S. V. Oaktadt lagstiftningen och
            > lagskipningen redan på 1600-talet sökte skydda dem och 1789 års
            > revolution gafdem medborgerliga råtigheter, har dock fördomen mot dem
            > ännu icke helt och hållet gifvit sig. Deras utseende och språk skilja
            > sig icke från den omgifvande befolkningens. I Pyreneerna äro de i
            > allmänhet snickare eller tunnbindare. Jfr V. De Rochas, "Les parias de
            > France et d'Espagne" (1876) och en på detta arbete grundad uppsats sf
            > Louis-Laude, "Les Cagots et leur congeneres" (i Revue des deux mondes
            > for 1878).
            >
            > Cheers
            > F.E.J.D.
          • F.E.J.D. IV
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 6, 2004
              Dear Ingemar,
              Glad it was of some value. I believe it is either from an 1888 Swedish
              edition of Weners Konversations Lexicon or from the 1870´s ed. of
              Nordisk Familjebok. I will try to verify this in the near future.
              Unfortunately, I forgot to note the source on the photocopy.

              Cheers,
              F.E.J.D.
              Fernando Eladio Jiménez Díaz

              --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "Ingemar Nordgren" <ingemar@n...> wrote:
              > Fantastical Fernando!
              >
              > Where did you find this old Swedish text? I am impressed and it is
              > quite amusing to read.
              >
              > Best
              > Ingemar
              >

              > --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "F.E.J.D. IV" <visigoth@a...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Cagots, en folkstam, som annu lefver på snorra slutninggarna af
              > > Pyreneerna afvensom I Bretagne, Poitou, Gascogne och Guienne I
              > > Frankrike samt I Baskiska provinserna I Spanien. Den uppkom i 13:de
              > > årh. och härstammar från spetälska personer, som uteslutis ur
              > > samhället. Under flere århundraden behandlades cagots som parias. De
              > > fingo gifta sig endast med hvarandra, voro uteslunta från åtskilliga
              > > verksamhetsområden, måste under gudstjensten uppehålla sig i ett
              > > afskildt rum i kyrkan o. S. V. Oaktadt lagstiftningen och
              > > lagskipningen redan på 1600-talet sökte skydda dem och 1789 års
              > > revolution gafdem medborgerliga råtigheter, har dock fördomen mot dem
              > > ännu icke helt och hållet gifvit sig. Deras utseende och språk skilja
              > > sig icke från den omgifvande befolkningens. I Pyreneerna äro de i
              > > allmänhet snickare eller tunnbindare. Jfr V. De Rochas, "Les parias de
              > > France et d'Espagne" (1876) och en på detta arbete grundad uppsats sf
              > > Louis-Laude, "Les Cagots et leur congeneres" (i Revue des deux mondes
              > > for 1878).
              > >
              > > Cheers
              > > F.E.J.D.
            • F.E.J.D. IV
              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 7, 2004
                Hello Denis,

                wrote:
                > Hi Fernando,

                > Denis G. wrote:
                > I guess my shortcut was too simplistic. What I mean is, IF there are
                some populations nowadays the origin of whom can be definitely traced
                to the Visigoths, would they have some specific genetic material that,
                if also found in the Cagots, would leave no doubt as to the Goth
                origin of the Cagots ?

                > I take it from your answer that it's not that simple or easy...

                I think I have a better handle on your question (now).
                Though I am a bit uncomfortable with the way the question is phrased -
                the short, simple and sloppy answer is yes –
                Nonetheless, the answer is really not so simple for several reasons
                but the most important reason is because good accuracy demands a
                foolproof well-connected study. One could make inferences by a small
                and quick study but it would only answer a "little" question and
                possibly cause great embarrassment during peer review since it would
                show a lack of rigor.
                Secondly, as concerns your strategy, you would have to substantiate
                the connection between the "present" population you postulate, and the
                Visigoths; thus, it would be seen as somewhat indirect (several extra
                steps).

                There is a more direct strategy. ---One can go directly to sources of
                "visigothic" organic material, namely, Visigothic necropoli. There are
                many Visigothic necropoli throughout the Iberian Peninsula. I am not
                sure if you read through my post where I brought up my "sampling
                strategy" but I have already collected, amplified and typed numerous
                samples from the latter, which could be used as references by which we
                can contrast samples from Cagot cemeteries or any other population.

                Now, let's go back to the beginning. --------- Although the stated
                strategy would provide some reasonably good answers (especially as
                concerns comparisons in Spain) I would feel terribly uncomfortable
                with the outcome since the study would not be deep enough to have the
                kind of certainty and breadth that I am comfortable with. Simply
                stated, the more samples in space and time the more certainty in the
                outcome. To just sample the necropoli in Spain would be to leave out
                too much data that could be had by sampling in Gothic necropoli in
                Italy and Romania and the Black Sea and between the Oder and Vistula
                and Vastergotland and Gotland. Doing the latter could answer many
                questions including, just how homogenous the Gothic tribe was at
                certain points in time. Even more titillating, it could provide a more
                definitive answer as concerns the area and population from which the
                formative Gothic tribe acquired its earliest adherents.

                Cheers,
                F.E.J.D.

                > If you don't mind, I'll pass your comments to the Basque genealogy
                groups where many people will be interested in learning more about the
                topic.

                > Best regards,
                >
                > Denis GLENARD

              • ertydfh110
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 9, 2011
                  This guy is supposed to be a real Agote descendant. He is from the Batzan Vally in the Pirineos (where many agotes lived). He also played as an Agote in a recent film.

                  Picture:
                  http://zuzeu.com/wp-content/uploads/zuzeu/03_11/4742_medium_xegone.jpg

                  Video:
                  http://www.eitb.com/es/videos/detalle/617762/el-conquistador-entrevista-xegone/
                • ertydfh110
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 9, 2011
                    I add another curiosity. In this case it is not an Agote. Last week on Spanish television there was a program about Spanish nobility. There was a man, who is a marques, that in the minute 23:50 he is showing his family genealogy and he says that he is an ancestor or Ervigio, a gothic king:

                    http://www.rtve.es/noticias/20111003/comando-actualidad-zona-noble/465800.shtml

                    From minute 20 he is on the program and on 23:50 he shows his genealogical tree.

                    It is just a curiosity.
                  • OSCAR HERRE
                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 9, 2011
                       my name is derived from the gothic namesakes......i have descendants from noth central sspain and up to the northeastern part at the border of france.......back to the 16th century,,,,,,

                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 9, 2011
                        also read when i was in college thru historical records that the goth were  say like the u. s. marines when they collaborated to turn back the muslim invasion......

                        I add another curiosity. In this case it is not an Agote. Last week on Spanish television there was a program about Spanish nobility. There was a man, who is a marques, that in the minute 23:50 he is showing his family genealogy and he says that he is an ancestor or Ervigio, a gothic king:

                        http://www.rtve.es/noticias/20111003/comando-actualidad-zona-noble/465800.shtml

                        From minute 20 he is on the program and on 23:50 he shows his genealogical tree.

                        It is just a curiosity.

                      • OSCAR HERRE
                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 9, 2011
                          the goths changed all western european history thru their trimphs and tribulations and yet they have only chosen a modest civilized world with peace and prosperity....

                          I add another curiosity. In this case it is not an Agote. Last week on Spanish television there was a program about Spanish nobility. There was a man, who is a marques, that in the minute 23:50 he is showing his family genealogy and he says that he is an ancestor or Ervigio, a gothic king:

                          http://www.rtve.es/noticias/20111003/comando-actualidad-zona-noble/465800.shtml

                          From minute 20 he is on the program and on 23:50 he shows his genealogical tree.

                          It is just a curiosity.