[gothic-l] Re: script/writing

  • Eric Craven
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 2, 1998
      David Salo wrote:

      > >about hv for the character for "700", i would prefer some
      > >one-character-solution. it may sound weird, but i think its better to
      > >stay as close to the original as possible... i thought about using
      > fx.
      > >y, as it is not used otherwise, but this would be a far way from any
      > >associated shape, although it would be one letter....
      >
      > Some older transcriptions (in German) used "w" for hw (or hv, if
      > you
      > prefer) and "v" for w; this is workable, if a bit confusing to those
      > of us
      > who pronounce w in English fashion! The opposite ("v" = hw, "w" = w),
      > as
      > Edward suggested, is also fine. Other solutions (y, Y, O, etc.) seem
      > very
      > bizarre to the eye. However, since Gothic is not a terribly ambiguous
      > language, I think that any and all solutions will be easily
      > understood; I
      > am not sure that, just for the purposes of communication, a single
      > standard
      > is absolutely necessary.

      well, my idea was that, if we agree now on some "standard", it would be
      easier to exchange fx databases, because , well, it would be standard
      format...
      the gothic1 font uses v for thorn and (in my modified version) y for hv,

      if we could agree one some standard, we could use the ascii text both as
      standard ascii and gothic1 text, which would be the best way i think
      (one thing, i can change the gothic1-ttf, so we can use all characters,
      except numbers and z, as the [shareware] program doesnt convert them) i
      use hexweb typograph (i think thats the name) for pfr`s (currently just
      netscape, but who wants M$ anyway ;-) [sorry, but...]

      > >one more thing, would u think it a good idea to use the original
      > gothic
      > >alphabet (S-Type of Codex Arg.) on a webpage, or would u prefer ascii
      > >(or both?). as im doing my page it would be great help to know what u
      > >expect...
      >
      > I think a mix is a good idea. The Gothic alphabet is very
      > attractive,
      > and more accurate than any transcription, and should be used where
      > possible; but of course it would not be immediately readable to most
      > people.

      thank u thank u thank u, one person who likes my idea....
      well, if we could find some common ascii/gothic encoding, it would be no
      problem to let the user choose which he prefers, just some
      javascript.... but i dont want to write everything twice, just because
      we have different encodings...
      if anyone has any further suggestions, please

      tx
      eric