Re: [gothic-l] Some Gothic links, Dictionaries, learning resources, etc.

  • cheyenne nicole
    Message 1 of 15 , May 16, 2004
      llama_nom <penterakt@...> wrote:
      Here are some Gothic links which I've found helpful and interesting,
      including some Francisc mentioned. I'm surprised we don't have a
      selection of such links in the LINKS section of gothic-l. I'm not
      quite sure how to add them though... Some other excellent addresses
      not included here can be found at: http://www.reimar.de/gotisch.html

      TEXTS

      The Wulfila Project: online searchable Gothic corpus + online edition
      of Streitberg's "Gotisches Elementarbuch" (minus the section on
      Syntax, for copyright reasons...)
      http://www.wulfila.be

      The Skeireins Project: some of the smaller fragments of Gothic which
      have survived, including the Skeireins + multiple translations:
      http://germa.germsem.uni-kiel.de/gotisch/gotisch.html

      Titus Project: huge collection of Indo-European texts, including the
      Gothic corpus (click on "text database" in the right window)
      http://titus.uni-frankfurt.de/indexe.htm

      DICTIONARIES, etc.

      Gerhard Koebler (Gothic and other dictionaries, including Old Norse,
      Old Saxon, Old English, Old High German, Old Frisian, etc.)
      http://www.koeblergerhard.de/publikat.html

      Sean Christ's Indo-European Language Resources: a wealth of material
      including Heyne's dictionary (Gothic-German), Balg's 'Comparative
      Glossary of the Gothic Language', Wright's 'Grammar of the Gothic
      Language' & Braune's 'Gotische Grammatik' + grammars and dictionaries
      for Old Icelandic, Old English, and many more...
      http://www.ling.upenn.edu/~kurisuto/germanic/language_resources.html

      Gothic-German glossary (from Lehrbuch der Gotischen Sprache, Johannes
      Friedrich) http://craven.hypermart.net/Gothic.txt

      Gothic Names (Tim O'Neill: list of name elements, meanings and Old
      English equivalents)
      http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Salon/2385/gothnames.html

      Crimean Gothic Wordlist
      http://www.geocities.com/erwan-ar-skoul/gothmod.htm

      My own still highly imperfect and constantly under revision English-
      Gothic dictionary--use at your peril...
      http://freespace.virgin.net/o.e/egd/egdhome.html

      MODERN WRITING IN GOTHIC

      The Gotish Tongue Website (Matthew Carver: poems, riddles,
      Tolkien's "Bagme Bloma") http://www.stormloader.com/carver/gutrazda

      The Gothic Heathen Homepage (Albareiks: history, religion, modern
      poems in Gothic) http://www.angelfire.com/goth/kuni/

      MISCELLANEOUS

      Database of the Gothic Language (Manuscripts, digitising the Codex
      Argenteus) http://www.cs.tut.fi/~dla/gothic.html

      Reimar's Gothic Links (in German)
      http://www.reimar.de/gotisch.html

      Gothic Book List
      http://www.the-orb-net/wemsk/gothicwemsk.html

      Results for "Gothic" on MavicaNET Multilingual Search Catalog
      http://www.mavicanet.com/directory/eng/1350.html?iss=0

      A gentle "introduction to Gothic" with graded lessons by David Salo:
      http://members.terracom.net/~dorothea/david/gothic/

      ...and in German, adapted by Jens Vorbrink:
      http://www.gotisch.de/

      Hope there's something of use in amongst that lot...

      Llama Nom

      --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "Francisc Czobor"
      wrote:
      > As far as I know, te best Gothic dictionary available for free on
      the
      > web is Koebler's "Gotisches Woertebuch" (Gothic -
      > German/English/Greek/Latin, with German-Gothic, English-Gothic,
      Latin-

      http://www.ling.upenn.edu/~kurisuto/germanic/goth_wright_glossary.html
      > Eric Craven's Gothic-German Glossary:
      > http://craven.hypermart.net/Gothic.txt
      > (not accessible at this moment)
      > Kunhihuzd (Tim O'Neill's page on Gothic names):
      > http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Salon/2385/gothnames.html
      > Crimean Gothic - English Glossary:
      > http://www.geocities.com/erwan-ar-skoul/gothmod.htm
      > I hope this helps.
      > Best regards,
      > Francisc
      >

      > --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, Debbie Williams
      > wrote:
      > > Does anyone know where to get a Gothic language dictionary? I
      would
      > love to learn the language since I'm also trying to pick up
      learning
      > German & Norwegian. Much thanks to anyone who can help.
      > >
      > ]

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      Thank you for helping me,i don't get alot of help. This will help me alot.

      Cheyenne

      Message 2 of 15 , May 21, 2004
        And just when I thought I understood this, here is an alternate view
        on SKULD. In this article, SKULD, in the phrase _skuldu ist_, is
        characterised as belonging to a class of "predicate nouns with modal
        meaning" - "Indo-European Syntactic Rules & Gothic Morphology", by
        Vyacheslav V Ivanov, p. 11).

        http://www.humnet.ucla.edu/pies/pdfs/IESV/1/VVI_Gothic_syntax.pdf

        I'm not sure how you'd distinguish between a neuter noun and a neuter
        adjective used in this way. Wright saw it as an adjective. Koebler
        has the adjective SKULDS, but lists instances under the headword of
        the verb SKULAN, of which SKULDS is the past participle. Though he
        does have a noun *skuld, it is treated as strictly hypothetical.

        Either way, an interesting article on Gothic & IE syntax.

        Llama Nom