Re: Why German has no future tense

  • Daniel Hicken
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 30 6:39 AM
      --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "sollersuk" <sollers@p...> wrote:
      > SNIP! <
      > French has a nice definite future tense, and uses it to a
      > considerable extent when referring to past events that are in the
      > future with respect to even earlier events.

      A very prolific tense system, past, present and future.

      > Come to think of it, the French use "aller" as an auxiliary to
      > express the future pretty often as well.

      That's used to express the imminent future, as in within the next five
      minutes to a couple hours, so, 'je vais aller au marché' I'm going to
      go to the market.

      (Just throwing in my two bits. :) )

      Cheers

      Daniel
    • sollersuk
      Message 2 of 6 , May 9, 2004

        > > Come to think of it, the French use "aller" as an auxiliary to
        > > express the future pretty often as well.
        >
        > That's used to express the imminent future, as in within the next
        five
        > minutes to a couple hours, so, 'je vais aller au marché' I'm going
        > go to the market.
        >
        > (Just throwing in my two bits. :) )
        >
        > Cheers
        >
        > Daniel

        And a bit wider as well, with a feeling of "intent" - "Je vais me
        marier"; I would only expect "Je me mariera" with a date, even a
        fairly vague one.
      • ashley overs
        Message 3 of 6 , May 10, 2004
          thanks

          >From: "sollersuk" <sollers@...>
          >To: gothic-l@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [gothic-l] Re: Why German has no future tense
          >Date: Sun, 09 May 2004 16:18:33 -0000
          >

          > > > Come to think of it, the French use "aller" as an auxiliary to
          > > > express the future pretty often as well.
          > >
          > > That's used to express the imminent future, as in within the next
          >five
          > > minutes to a couple hours, so, 'je vais aller au march�' I'm going
          > > go to the market.
          > >
          > > (Just throwing in my two bits. :) )
          > >
          > > Cheers
          > >
          > > Daniel
          >
          >And a bit wider as well, with a feeling of "intent" - "Je vais me
          >marier"; I would only expect "Je me mariera" with a date, even a
          >fairly vague one.

          Add photos to your messages with MSN Premium. Get 2 months FREE*