Re: [gothic-l] Re: Gothic genealogy

  • jean-louis blackburn
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 16, 2004
      Not to sound too presumptuous, but wouldn't we
      expect Justinian to have slaughtered the Gothic
      royal family to the last remnant?
      J-L

      --- gerald baker <glbaker50613@...> wrote:
      > I once knew a Mari Andersson, a Sioux City
      > native now
      > living in California, who said she found out in
      > Sweden
      > that she was a descendant of the Ostrogothic
      > king
      > Theodoric, also known as "Dietrich von Bern." I
      > expressed skepticism in a letter, and she never
      > replied to it.
      >
      > Dietrich, whose "Bern" was really Verona,
      > defeated
      > Odoacer at the "Ravensburg," (Ravenna), and
      > became
      > King of Italy. I have no idea of whether or not
      > either
      > of them, or Alaric, had any descendants.
      >
      > Gerald Baker
      > Cedar Falls, Iowa
      >
      > --- S�ren_Larsen <sohela@...> wrote:
      > > faltin2001 wrote:
      > > > --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "Le
      > Bateman"
      > > branchs of my family,
      > > > especially
      > Roman
      > > Emperors. Were these
      > Where
      > > can I locate
      > > > information on
      > > >

      > > > Hi Le,
      > > >
      > > > you should be very sceptical about these
      > > (internet) geneologies
      > > > linking families to Roman emperors and all
      > sorts
      > > of real (and
      > > > invented) kings. The decendence of most, if
      > not
      > > all Roman Emperors is
      > > > largely unknown and no present day family
      > can
      > > seriously be linked to
      > > > any of them. The same is even more correct
      > for
      > > Odoacer and Alaric.
      > > >

      > > Although I totally agree with the gist of
      > your
      > > message I am
      > > really curious to know how it "is even more
      > true for
      > > Odoacer
      > > and Alaric"?
      > >
      > > Cheers
      > > Soren Larsen

      > Yahoo! Search - Find what you�re looking for
      > faster
      > http://search.yahoo.com
      >

      > You are a member of the Gothic-L list. To
      > unsubscribe, send a blank email to
      > <gothic-l-unsubscribe@egroups.com>.
      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      =====
      "Open your mouth for the speechless.And for the cause of all those appointed to die.Open your mouth and judge righteously.And plead the cause of the poor and needy."Proverbs 31: 8-9

      http://mail.yahoo.com