About myself

  • gerald baker
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 29, 2004
      I live in Cedar Falls, Iowa, near the University of
      Northern Iowa, and am an alumnus of Iowa State
      University, in Ames. Although I have only a Modern
      (foreign) Languages minor from my undergraduate days,
      I improved my German in 1970 when I visited several
      different parts of Germany. I took the first Russian
      class that was ever offered at Iowa State, in 1953-54,
      and remember my high school Latin pretty well, too.

      The University here has Sigmund Feist's Gothic
      Dictionary and a Gothic Greek bilingual of those parts
      of the New Testament that are known in Gothic. It also
      has Pokorny's 2-volume "Indogerm. Etymologisches
      Woerterbuch," which I consult frequently.

      I learned of your site by doing a word search for
      Alaric's grave in the Busento River. I still remember
      parts of von Platen's poem from a college German
      course.

      Gerald Baker

      http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/