Gog and Magog

  • gerald baker
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2004
      In the Bible, I think in "Revelation" of the New
      Testament, there is a reference to the "armies of Gog
      and Magog," who will come from the north to the
      prophesied "battle of Armageddon." I've read at times
      that these names may have referred to the "Getae and
      the Massagetae," mentioned by the Greek historian
      Herodotus. Some have interpreted the "Getae" as being
      "Goths" and the "Massagetae" as being "Huns."

      However, I have a different hypothesis. Perhaps "Gog
      and Magog" was a slogan, or battle-cry, of at least
      some of the Celtic armies that roamed far afield. The
      Galatians of central Asia Minor were Celts that were
      well-known to the Hellenic world of the New Testament
      writers, and Celtic groups that didn't form lasting
      colonies may have raided in Palestine, Mesopotamia,
      etc.

      The battle-cry that I think of may have been "Lugh and
      Mac Og." Lugh was the chief of the Celtic gods, and
      Oengus, (or "Angus," as in the Scottish), had the
      appellation "Mac Og," or "young son." Oengus has been
      defined as the "God of Love."

      In Ireland, a modern nation of Celtic origin, there
      has been a modern expletive, "Bedad and Bejabers,"
      which I suppose to be derived from "By God and By
      Jesus!" Jesus is considered the "Son of God," and the
      "God of Love," too.

      Gerald Baker

      http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/