Questions about "the Getica"

  • paulyz2play
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 23, 2004
      I recently read Jordanes for the first time- after reading the first
      hundred or so posts on this site. It seems that most believe the
      whole digression about the Goths being Getic and the confusing
      addition of the Skythian invasion of the levant as a part of the
      history of the Goths is is just thrown out, while the Scandia
      connection is assumed to be valid. I have read that Authors believe
      he was just confusing Getic with Gothic and trying to reconcile what
      he knew.

      Has it been suggested that the reason the history is so confused is
      that the Goths themselves were somewhat ethnically confused? Most
      agree that they were a mix of many peoples, yet there seems to be
      arguement over which group was dominant. Pehaps the mixing of
      Dacians, Skythian/sarmatian, and germanic elements simply refects the
      ethnicity and traditions of the Goths themselves.

      I am curious about the influence of the Sarmatians on the early
      Gothic culture. Is it known exactly where the Goths were when they
      first became Sarmatianized? I am thinking mostly in terms of their
      military which I am most familiar with.

      Thanks,

      Paul