Moos spear head

    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 27, 2004
      --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, Tore Gannholm <tore.gannholm@s...>
      wrote:
      > Hi,
      > The Moos spear head in Gotland is supposed to belong to the same
      > group. What kind of runes are they?
      > see
      > http://www.stavgard.com/Gotland/historia_/moosspetsen/default.htm
      >
      > Tore

      Excellent! Thanks, Tore. Especially interesting as those two scroll
      markings look a bit like some of the Kovel signs, but less
      elaborate. From this picture I can't see the diagonals of the A, and
      the S isn't clear - unless it's the later short form (but I wouldn't
      have thought so). I guess it is possible to make out more on closer
      inspection, as this final -S is the one distinctly East Gmc feature.

      Koebler's dictionary mentions the Moos spear head in Appendx 4 in
      the "East Germanic" section: GAOIS = *gaujis? 'barker'. (This is the
      interpretation of Krause, according to the Kiel Runenprojekt).
      Compare Old Icelandic geyja 'bark, mock'.

      I suppose that's the name of the spear.

      Llama Nom