Gothic symbols

  • Ingemar Nordgren
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 26, 2004
      Hi Llama non,

      The Goths got the swastika from the Romans who in their turn got it from
      the eastern part of the realm. Remember the hellenic world that was
      before them and it's boundaries. It is common in Roman artwork. In the
      same way the Goths took the imperial peacocks from the Romans who got
      them, I think, via Sassanidian influence. Sweden did in fact not exist
      then, and the tribes up North in Scandinavia had for sure no earlier
      contacts with this symbol, which was imported first by the Romans.

      Best
      Ingemar