Re: [gothic-l] Re: New to the list with questions

  • Homer Makedonski
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 26, 2004
      Hello to the group
      Regarding all of you here and wishing you all the best in search to the answers for the questions you have.
      Sorry for my English,it fare away from good and pure,
      Considering my self as new to the list,I would like to ask you a question as well.Hope you won't mine
      Deeply believing that for a lot of the answers ,the things should be related with a religion and opserving how the religion have a reflection in all the aspects of the human society I am interesting in how the Gotts had titled the
      a God's name or what was the name what all the Gotts were using to say God during the time they lived.
      This will be very helpful to me,and my amauterism in searching the names and their possible meanings.
      Thanks in advance

      Homer Makedonski

      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 2, 2004
        Hi Dirk!

        Thank you very much for your remark.
        I really believed that the eagle-fibulae were worn both by men and
        women.

        Francisc

        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 3, 2004
          wrote:
          > Hi Dirk!
          >
          > Thank you very much for your remark.
          > I really believed that the eagle-fibulae were worn both by men and
          > women.
          >
          > Francisc

          Hi Francisc,

          don't worry you were not the only one. I have seen illustrations
          (artists impressions) of Gothic warriors adorned with huge eagle
          fibulae and eagle belt buckles. However, they really only appear in
          womens graves and they were part of female dress. In fact, it is a
          feature of the cultures associated with the Goths, that the men were
          very modestly dressed in contrast to the women.

          Cheers
          Dirk

          > --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "faltin2001" <dirk@s...> wrote:
          > > --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "Francisc Czobor"
          > <fericzobor@y...>
          > > wrote:
          > > Hi Francic,
          > >
          > > these 'eagle-fibulae' are of course very well known, and the
          shape
          > > was also adopted by Thuringians and Alamannians, but it is of
          > course
          > > a typical Gotho-Gepidic form. Yet, you wrote about chieftains
          > wearing
          > > such fibulae, which I think is not correct. The large eagle
          fibulae
          > > are part of the female dress, it was worn by wealthy Gothic and
          > > Gepidic women not by men (at least not the typical large ones).
          The
          > > same is true for the eagle belt-buckle, they are mostly from
          female
          > > graves.
          > >
          > > Cheers
          > > Dirk

        • Егоров Владимир
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 3, 2004
            ***<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

            Hi Dirk!

            Taking opportunity I ask you for help.
            Could you direct me at some trustworthy illustrations of Gothic clothes?
            Desirable are as early sources as possible.

            Vladimir

            > I really believed that the eagle-fibulae were worn both by men and
            > women.
            >
            > Francisc

            Hi Francisc,

            don't worry you were not the only one. I have seen illustrations
            (artists impressions) of Gothic warriors adorned with huge eagle
            fibulae and eagle belt buckles. However, they really only appear in
            womens graves and they were part of female dress. In fact, it is a
            feature of the cultures associated with the Goths, that the men were
            very modestly dressed in contrast to the women.

            Cheers
            Dirk

            > --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "faltin2001" <dirk@s...> wrote:
            > > --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "Francisc Czobor"
            > <fericzobor@y...>
            > > wrote:
            > > Hi Francic,
            > >
            > > these 'eagle-fibulae' are of course very well known, and the
            shape
            > > was also adopted by Thuringians and Alamannians, but it is of
            > course
            > > a typical Gotho-Gepidic form. Yet, you wrote about chieftains
            > wearing
            > > such fibulae, which I think is not correct. The large eagle
            fibulae
            > > are part of the female dress, it was worn by wealthy Gothic and
            > > Gepidic women not by men (at least not the typical large ones).
            The
            > > same is true for the eagle belt-buckle, they are mostly from
            female
            > > graves.
            > >
            > > Cheers
            > > Dirk

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12cqceuth/M=243273.4510124.5685162.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705297328:HM/EXP=1075891278/A=1750744/R=0/*http://servedby.advertising.com/click/site=552006/bnum=1075804878386125> Click to learn more...
            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=243273.4510124.5685162.1261774/D=egroupmail/S=:HM/A=1750744/rand=667432398>

            _____

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 16 12:38 AM
              Dear Homer,

              in the Gothic Bible, God is named "Guth", a Germanic word cognate
              with English "God", German "Gott", etc. Obviously, in that Bible it
              refers to the Christian God, but surely it was a generic term also
              for the pagan pre-Christian gods of the Goths, like in other Germanic
              languages. The Christian Goths called God also "Frauja", which
              means "Lord". In pre-Christian times, the Goths worshipped also
              some "demi-gods", called, according to Jordanes, "Asi" (the word is
              cognate with Old Norse As, Aesir, from a Proto-Germanic *ansu-).

              Francisc

              --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, Homer Makedonski

              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 16 1:30 AM
                The Christian Goths called God also "Frauja", which
                > means "Lord". In pre-Christian times, the Goths worshipped also
                > some "demi-gods", called, according to Jordanes, "Asi" (the word is
                > cognate with Old Norse As, Aesir, from a Proto-Germanic *ansu-).
                >
                > Francisc

                Hi Francisc,

                just to add, according to Jordanes/Cassiodorus the pre-Christian
                devine ancestors or demi-gods were called not 'Asi' but 'Ansi' by the
                Goths, which is of course, as you say, cognate with Old Norse 'As'
                and Old High German 'Ans'.

                BTW, the corresponding term to Gothic 'Frauja', meaning Lord is also
                still used in religious German words like 'Fron-leichnam', which
                means Corpus Christi.

                Cheers
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 16 4:22 AM
                  You're right, Dirk. I just quoted from memory.
                  In fact, Jordanes wrote "And because of the great victory they had
                  won in this region, they thereafter called their leaders, by whose
                  good fortune they seemed to have conquered, not mere men, but
                  demigods, that is Ansis" (Getica XIII, 78, Charles C. Mierow's
                  translation; in the origina Latin text: "... magnaque potiti per loca
                  victoria iam proceres suos, quorum quasi fortuna vincebant, non puros
                  homines, sed semideos id est Ansis vocaverunt...").

                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 17 3:38 AM
                    wrote:
                    > You're right, Dirk. I just quoted from memory.
                    > In fact, Jordanes wrote "And because of the great victory they had
                    > won in this region, they thereafter called their leaders, by whose
                    > good fortune they seemed to have conquered, not mere men, but
                    > demigods, that is Ansis" (Getica XIII, 78, Charles C. Mierow's
                    > translation; in the origina Latin text: "... magnaque potiti per
                    loca
                    > victoria iam proceres suos, quorum quasi fortuna vincebant, non
                    puros
                    > homines, sed semideos id est Ansis vocaverunt...").
                    >
                    > Francisc

                    Hi Francisc,

                    do you know anything about the linguistics behind these terms? Why
                    was the word 'Ans-' in Gothic and West Germanic, but 'As' in North
                    Germanic? Is this loss of 'n' a regular occurance?

                    Thanks
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 18 12:27 AM
                      Hi Dirk,

                      it seems to me that sometimes in North Germanic nasals were dropped
                      before fricative consonants (like in ans- > as-), but I don't know
                      what conditionned this phonetic change (anyway, less regular than the
                      similar one in Old Saxon and Old English). I don't have
                      my "Altisländisches Elementarbuch" at hand now (where all sound
                      changes from Common Germanic to Old Norse are described), so I can
                      not verify.

                      Francisc

                      --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "faltin2001" <dirk@s...> wrote:

                      > Hi Francisc,
                      >
                      > do you know anything about the linguistics behind these terms? Why
                      > was the word 'Ans-' in Gothic and West Germanic, but 'As' in North
                      > Germanic? Is this loss of 'n' a regular occurance?
                      >
                      > Thanks
                      > Dirk
                    • homermakedonski
                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 29 1:11 PM
                        Dear Fransis

                        Thanks for your replay and thanks for the replay's of all of the rest
                        of you .
                        I did found your explanations very helpful to me and my views
                        about the words and their meaning what I am searching about.I hope I
                        will wrote soon about it

                        Why God as the word in the Gothic language I have been ask you for
                        Maybe I will be more understandiable if I tell you that I am doing my
                        research from "The beginning "

                        I would like to abuse your hospitality here to make some propaganda
                        over the posible meaning of my country name ,hoping that you would
                        not mine

                        Your's thanksful.
                      • homermakedonski
                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 29 1:22 PM
                          http://www.carm.org/kjv/John/john_1.htm

                          1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the
                          Word was God.

                          2 The same was in the beginning with God.

                          3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made
                          that was made.

                          ----------
                          1.In the beginning was the Word,and the Word was with God,..
                          In the beginning was The Word and the Word was Duma
                          In the beginning was *Duma and *Duma was with Bog
                          *M->N
                          In the beginning was *DoMa and *DoNa was with Boga

                          In the beginning was *Don and Don was with *Bagae
                          *G->K
                          In the beginning was *Don and Don was with *BaeKae
                          *B->M
                          http://pub37.ezboard.com/fistorijabalkanafrm20.showMessage?
                          topicID=87.topic

                          In the beginning was *Don and Don was with *MaeKae
                          In the beginning was Don and Don was with *MaiKae
                          In the beginning was Don and Don was with *Majka
                          In the beginning was Don and Don was with*MaKe

                          "and the Word was God. "
                          and *Duma was God
                          and *Don was God
                          Don~God

                          ADonai-Jews
                          Dion-Espanol
                          Deos-Portugal

                          Dieu-French~*Dieu(n)-*D ie N-*Don

                          Dio, idolo-Italian
                          Diyos-(lat inf), (bathala, ang lumikha)-Tagalog(Filipino)
                          Dumnezeu-Romanian~*Dumne-Duma

                          Dduw, nuw, Celi, Dofydd, celi, cheli, geli, ngheli-Welsh
                          Juma la -Finnish~ *D+juma~*Djumala~*Duma~Don

                          Deus-Latin
                          D->T-TH
                          Theos -Greek
                          ------------

                          2 The same was in the beginning with God.
                          -The Word was in the beginning with God
                          -*Don was in the beginning with* MaKe

                          3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made
                          that was made.

                          Don->*Dzon-Dzom-Dzem-dZem-Zem-Zeme-Zemia-Zemja
                          Don->*uDon-vDon-VoDon-Vodan-Voda
                          Don->*Dzon-oDzon-OdZon-Ozon
                          Don->*oDon-oGon-Ogon-Ogan

                          And all four elements had been created from Don

                          In the beginning was the Word and The Word was Makedonija

                          Take a note pls :
                          Zemja -Earth
                          Voda -water
                          Ogan-fire

                          Homer Makedonski
                        • homermakedonski
                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 29 1:31 PM
                            -And the Word was Terra-

                            If we supposed then the letter N have had deviated into the letter R
                            via letter
                            eg. analyzing the word Sun
                            soNce - in Macedonian
                            soLem-in Latin
                            suRia -in Hindi language
                            *N->L->R
                            Than instead of Don -Terra as a word shell to appear

                            Don

                            D-*T
                            O-*Oe-oE-E
                            N-*R
                            --------
                            DON
                            TERRA
                            -----------
                            Via Terra all of the text would be on the way :

                            1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the
                            Word was
                            God.

                            -In the beginning was *Terra and *Terra was with *Make-Ma(ke)-Ma
                            ..and Terra was God
                            (this part will never be explained via Terra,except one name only
                            Thor,as for
                            the Scandinavians the Thunder goddess

                            2 The same was in the beginning with God.
                            -Terra was in the beginning with Ma

                            .
                            .
                            .

                            3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made
                            that was
                            made.

                            English version

                            Terra-*Terra-La Ter--Earth-
                            Terra->*W+Tera-Watera-Water
                            Terra->*-T-Era-eAER-AERA-Aero-Air
                            Terra->*(T-P-F)Pera-Pira-Fira-Fire
                            All four elements are here again

                            In the beginning was the Word and the Word was Ma/Terra-Mater
                            or
                            Mother

                            Homer Ma(ke)TerranSKI
                          • homermakedonski
                            Message 13 of 16 , Mar 29 1:49 PM
                              This is my try to write one more time the famous phrase ,now based at
                              my own reconstruction of the Sanscrit language ..
                              I have possibility to "learn it" at site where the original letter's
                              orthography can be seen ,mostly for the words I had focused them as a
                              most importen to me .
                              Those words are :

                              Bhagavan -God
                              uvâca-said
                              vâca-words
                              ca-also
                              And I am making comporation with them on this way:

                              Makedon~Bhagavan
                              Duma ~vBca

                              In the beginning was the Word and the word was ..

                              --------
                              http://srimadbhagavatam.com/1/5/20
                              ------------------------
                              God in Sanscrit is Bhagavan

                              Canto 1: Creation Chapter 5: Nârada's Instructions on Úrîmad-
                              Bhâgavatam for Vyâsadeva
                              Bhaktivedanta VedaBase: Úrîmad Bhâgavatam 1.5.20
                              idam? hi viúvam? bhagavân ivetaro
                              yato jagat-sthâna-nirodha-sambhavâh?
                              tad dhi svayam? veda bhavâm?s tathâpi te
                              prâdeúa-mâtram? bhavatah? pradarúitam
                              SYNONYMS
                              idam - this; hi - all; viúvam - cosmos; bhagavân - the Supreme Lord;
                              iva - almost the same; itarah? - different from; yatah? - from whom;
                              jagat - the worlds; sthâna - exist; nirodha - annihilation;
                              sambhavâh? - creation; tat hi - all about; svayam - personally; veda -
                              know; bhavân - your good self; tathâ api - still; te - unto you;
                              prâdeúa-mâtram - a synopsis only; bhavatah? - unto you; pradarúitam -
                              explained.
                              Again from this text :
                              idam? hi viúvam? bhagavân ivetaro
                              yato jagat-sthâna-nirodha-sambhavâh?
                              tad dhi svayam? veda bhavâm?s tathâpi te
                              prâdeúa-mâtram? bhavatah? pradarúitam;
                              and Explanation as it given :
                              SYNONYMS
                              idam - this; hi - all; viúvam - cosmos; bhagavân - the Supreme Lord; -
                              almost the same; itarah? - different from; yatah? - from whom;
                              jagat - the worlds; sthâna - exist; nirodha - annihilation;
                              sambhavâh? - creation; tat hi - all about; svayam - personally; veda -
                              know; bhavân - your good self; tathâ api - still; te - unto you;
                              prâdeúa-mâtram - a synopsis only; bhavatah? - unto you; pradarúitam -
                              explained.

                              In the beginning was The Word and The Word was "UVA"
                              Searching for the word " Word" in Sanscrit :
                              Word - ?
                              http://srimadbhagavatam.com/1/6/1
                              Canto 1: Creation Chapter 6: Conversation Between Nârada and
                              Vyâsadeva
                              Bhaktivedanta VedaBase: Úrîmad Bhâgavatam 1.6.1
                              sûta uvâca
                              evam? niúamya bhagavân
                              devars?er janma karma ca
                              bhûyah? papraccha tam? brahman
                              vyâsah? satyavatî-sutah?
                              SYNONYMS
                              sûtah? uvâca - Sûta said; evam - thus; niúamya - hearing; bhagavân -
                              the powerful incarnation of God; devars?eh? - of the great sage among
                              the gods; janma - birth; karma - work; ca - and; bhûyah? - again;
                              papraccha - asked; tam - him; brahman - O brâhman?as; vyâsah? -
                              Vyâsadeva; satyavatî-sutah? - the son of Satyavatî.
                              TRANSLATION
                              Sûta said: O brâhman?as, thus hearing all about Úrî Nârada's birth
                              and activities, Vyâsadeva, the incarnation of God and son of
                              Satyavatî, inquired as follows.
                              At this text we will opserve the word
                              sûta uvâca
                              evam? niúamya bhagavân
                              devars?er janma karma ca
                              bhûyah? papraccha tam? brahman
                              vyâsah? satyavatî-sutah?

                              and we will try to find it's meaning :
                              Again the same text ,and traslaction is :
                              SYNONYMS
                              sûtah? uvâca - Sûta said; evam - thus; niúamya - hearing; bhagavân -
                              the powerful incarnation of God; devars?eh? - of the great sage among
                              the gods; janma - birth; karma - work; ca - and; bhûyah? - again;
                              papraccha - asked; tam - him; brahman - O brâhman?as; vyâsah? -
                              Vyâsadeva; satyavatî-sutah? - the son of Satyavatî.
                              uvâca-said

                              next word is the word :words
                              from:
                              http://srimadbhagavatam.com/1/6/20
                              Canto 1: Creation Chapter 6: Conversation Between Nârada and
                              Vyâsadeva
                              Bhaktivedanta VedaBase: Úrîmad Bhâgavatam 1.6.20
                              evam? yatantam? vijane
                              mâm âhâgocaro girâm
                              gambhîra-úlaks?n?ayâ vâcâ
                              úucah? praúamayann iva
                              SYNONYMS
                              evam - thus; yatantam - one who is engaged in attempting; vijane - in
                              that lonely place; mâm - unto me; âha - said; agocarah? - beyond the
                              range of physical sound; girâm - utterances; gambhîra - grave; úlaks?
                              n?aya - pleasing to hear; vâcâ - words; úucah? - grief; praúamayan -
                              mitigating; iva - like.
                              TRANSLATION
                              Seeing my attempts in that lonely place, the Personality of Godhead,
                              who is transcendental to all mundane description, spoke to me with
                              gravity and pleasing words, just to mitigate my grief.
                              Focus on the text is here:
                              evam? yatantam? vijane
                              mâm âhâgocaro girâm
                              gambhîra-úlaks?n?ayâ vâcâ
                              úucah? praúamayann iva
                              and explanation is :

                              SYNONYMS
                              evam - thus; yatantam - one who is engaged in attempting; vijane - in
                              that lonely place; mâm - unto me; âha - said; agocarah? - beyond the
                              range of physical sound; girâm - utterances; gambhîra - grave; úlaks?
                              n?aya - pleasing to hear; vâcâ - words; úucah? - grief; praúamayan -
                              mitigating; iva - like.
                              vâcâ - words
                              Now let's make a reconstruction for the word uvaca

                              Chapter 3: Kr?s?n?a Is the Source of All Incarnations
                              Bhaktivedanta VedaBase: Úrimad Bhagavatam 1.3.44
                              tatra kirtayato vipra
                              viprars?er bhuri-tejasah?
                              aham? cadhyagamam? tatra
                              nivis?t?as tad-anugrahat
                              so 'ham? vah? úravayis?yami
                              yathadhitam? yatha-mati
                              SYNONYMS
                              tatra - there; kîrtayatah? - while reciting; viprâh? - O brâhman?as;
                              vipra-r?s?eh? - from the great brâhman?a-r?s?i; bhûri - greatly;
                              tejasah? - powerful; aham - I; ca - also; adhyagamam - could
                              understand; tatra - in that meeting; nivis?t?ah? - being perfectly
                              attentive; tat-anugrahât - by his mercy; sah? - that very thing;
                              aham - I; vah? - unto you; úravayis?yami - shall let you hear; yathâ-
                              adhîtam yathâ-mati - as far as my realization.
                              TRANSLATION
                              O learned brâhman?as, when Úukadeva Gosvâmî recited Bhâgavatam there
                              [in the presence of Emperor Parîks?it], I heard him with rapt
                              attention, and thus, by his mercy, I learned the Bhâgavatam from that
                              great and powerful sage. Now I shall try to make you hear the very
                              same thing as I learned it from him and as I have realized it.
                              __________________
                              From this text we focus on the word >ca <
                              tatra kirtayato vipra
                              viprars?er bhuri-tejasah?
                              aham? cadhyagamam? tatra
                              nivis?t?as tad-anugrahat
                              so 'ham? vah? úravayis?yami
                              yathadhitam? yatha-mati
                              and it explanation: :
                              SYNONYMS
                              tatra - there; kîrtayatah? - while reciting; viprâh? - O brâhman?as;
                              vipra-r?s?eh? - from the great brâhman?a-r?s?i; bhûri - greatly;
                              tejasah? - powerful; aham - I; ca - also; adhyagamam - could
                              understand; tatra - in that meeting; nivis?t?ah? - being perfectly
                              attentive; tat-anugrahât - by his mercy; sah? - that very thing;
                              aham - I; vah? - unto you; úravayis?yami - shall let you hear; yathâ-
                              adhîtam yathâ-mati - as far as my realization.

                              ca-also;

                              Now a bit of free reconstruction for finding the word-Word from here:
                              uvâca-said
                              vâca-words
                              ca-also
                              u/vâ/ca
                              if I make a paralele with our word Duma with
                              uvâca-said
                              ..if someone is something said
                              and that saying is often
                              ca-also than rest is Uva -U/va
                              *Uva~Duma
                              U-U
                              *V->*B->*M
                              A-A
                              *Uva->*Uma->(D)Uma->Duma

                              Now back to the Text :

                              1.In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the
                              Word was
                              God
                              In the beginning was the Word and the word was
                              *U/va and *U/va was with Bhagavan
                              Bhagavan is God in Sanscrit
                              Bhaga/van
                              Bhaga/(U)VAN
                              Bhaga/Van
                              .. and the Word was God
                              with u/va this condition is inpossible to be explained
                              ,maybe if it is opserved only as
                              UVA-U/Va-
                              *V-*B-*M
                              and than is U/MA
                              Ma as Mother
                              2. The same was in the beginning with God.
                              -UVA(N)was in the beginning with Bhaga
                              .
                              .
                              .
                              3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made
                              that was
                              made.
                              what it's Today's as a hindy version:
                              UVAN~DUMA~DON
                              *DON->*ODON->*OGON->*OGNI->*AGNI->*HAGNI->Fire
                              *DON->*DAN->*PAN->PANI-water
                              *DON->*DUMA->*DUVA->
                              *D->*H (via D-> Dz-K's->X->H)
                              *Duva->*Huva->*Hauva->*Hawa-Air
                              They are only three elements in Hynduism
                              the fourth one is Mother Earth Herself
                              for the Earth are saying Zemni
                              or for the planet Earth will say DUNYIA
                              Don->Don ia->Dunyia
                              In the beginning was the Word and the Word was
                              Bhagavan
                              and a question why is that
                              bhagavân - the Supreme Lord; -
                              BHAGA/VAN