Re: [gothic-l] Re: New to the list with questions

  • Homer Makedonski
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 26, 2004
      Hello to the group
      Regarding all of you here and wishing you all the best in search to the answers for the questions you have.
      Sorry for my English,it fare away from good and pure,
      Considering my self as new to the list,I would like to ask you a question as well.Hope you won't mine
      Deeply believing that for a lot of the answers ,the things should be related with a religion and opserving how the religion have a reflection in all the aspects of the human society I am interesting in how the Gotts had titled the
      a God's name or what was the name what all the Gotts were using to say God during the time they lived.
      This will be very helpful to me,and my amauterism in searching the names and their possible meanings.
      Thanks in advance

      Homer Makedonski

      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 30, 2004
        --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "Francisc Czobor" <fericzobor@y...>
        wrote:
        > Hello, Rutgur, and welcome to the Gothic list!
        >
        > I don't know much about Gothic dressing, except something which is
        > notorious: the Goths (both Ostro- and Vizi-), as well as their
        close
        > relatives - the Gepidae, wore fibulae having the shape of birds of
        > prey. In the case of chieftains, these fibulae were made of gold,
        > often adorned with gems.

        Hi Francic,

        these 'eagle-fibulae' are of course very well known, and the shape
        was also adopted by Thuringians and Alamannians, but it is of course
        a typical Gotho-Gepidic form. Yet, you wrote about chieftains wearing
        such fibulae, which I think is not correct. The large eagle fibulae
        are part of the female dress, it was worn by wealthy Gothic and
        Gepidic women not by men (at least not the typical large ones). The
        same is true for the eagle belt-buckle, they are mostly from female
        graves.

        Cheers
        Dirk

        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 2 3:05 AM
          Hi Dirk!

          Thank you very much for your remark.
          I really believed that the eagle-fibulae were worn both by men and
          women.

          Francisc

          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 3 2:40 AM
            wrote:
            > Hi Dirk!
            >
            > Thank you very much for your remark.
            > I really believed that the eagle-fibulae were worn both by men and
            > women.
            >
            > Francisc

            Hi Francisc,

            don't worry you were not the only one. I have seen illustrations
            (artists impressions) of Gothic warriors adorned with huge eagle
            fibulae and eagle belt buckles. However, they really only appear in
            womens graves and they were part of female dress. In fact, it is a
            feature of the cultures associated with the Goths, that the men were
            very modestly dressed in contrast to the women.

            Cheers
            Dirk

            > --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "faltin2001" <dirk@s...> wrote:
            > > --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "Francisc Czobor"
            > <fericzobor@y...>
            > > wrote:
            > > Hi Francic,
            > >
            > > these 'eagle-fibulae' are of course very well known, and the
            shape
            > > was also adopted by Thuringians and Alamannians, but it is of
            > course
            > > a typical Gotho-Gepidic form. Yet, you wrote about chieftains
            > wearing
            > > such fibulae, which I think is not correct. The large eagle
            fibulae
            > > are part of the female dress, it was worn by wealthy Gothic and
            > > Gepidic women not by men (at least not the typical large ones).
            The
            > > same is true for the eagle belt-buckle, they are mostly from
            female
            > > graves.
            > >
            > > Cheers
            > > Dirk

          • Егоров Владимир
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 3 10:10 PM
              ***<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

              Hi Dirk!

              Taking opportunity I ask you for help.
              Could you direct me at some trustworthy illustrations of Gothic clothes?
              Desirable are as early sources as possible.

              Vladimir

              > I really believed that the eagle-fibulae were worn both by men and
              > women.
              >
              > Francisc

              Hi Francisc,

              don't worry you were not the only one. I have seen illustrations
              (artists impressions) of Gothic warriors adorned with huge eagle
              fibulae and eagle belt buckles. However, they really only appear in
              womens graves and they were part of female dress. In fact, it is a
              feature of the cultures associated with the Goths, that the men were
              very modestly dressed in contrast to the women.

              Cheers
              Dirk

              > --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "faltin2001" <dirk@s...> wrote:
              > > --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "Francisc Czobor"
              > <fericzobor@y...>
              > > wrote:
              > > Hi Francic,
              > >
              > > these 'eagle-fibulae' are of course very well known, and the
              shape
              > > was also adopted by Thuringians and Alamannians, but it is of
              > course
              > > a typical Gotho-Gepidic form. Yet, you wrote about chieftains
              > wearing
              > > such fibulae, which I think is not correct. The large eagle
              fibulae
              > > are part of the female dress, it was worn by wealthy Gothic and
              > > Gepidic women not by men (at least not the typical large ones).
              The
              > > same is true for the eagle belt-buckle, they are mostly from
              female
              > > graves.
              > >
              > > Cheers
              > > Dirk

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12cqceuth/M=243273.4510124.5685162.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705297328:HM/EXP=1075891278/A=1750744/R=0/*http://servedby.advertising.com/click/site=552006/bnum=1075804878386125> Click to learn more...
              <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=243273.4510124.5685162.1261774/D=egroupmail/S=:HM/A=1750744/rand=667432398>

              _____

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 16, 2004
                Dear Homer,

                in the Gothic Bible, God is named "Guth", a Germanic word cognate
                with English "God", German "Gott", etc. Obviously, in that Bible it
                refers to the Christian God, but surely it was a generic term also
                for the pagan pre-Christian gods of the Goths, like in other Germanic
                languages. The Christian Goths called God also "Frauja", which
                means "Lord". In pre-Christian times, the Goths worshipped also
                some "demi-gods", called, according to Jordanes, "Asi" (the word is
                cognate with Old Norse As, Aesir, from a Proto-Germanic *ansu-).

                Francisc

                --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, Homer Makedonski

                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 16, 2004
                  The Christian Goths called God also "Frauja", which
                  > means "Lord". In pre-Christian times, the Goths worshipped also
                  > some "demi-gods", called, according to Jordanes, "Asi" (the word is
                  > cognate with Old Norse As, Aesir, from a Proto-Germanic *ansu-).
                  >
                  > Francisc

                  Hi Francisc,

                  just to add, according to Jordanes/Cassiodorus the pre-Christian
                  devine ancestors or demi-gods were called not 'Asi' but 'Ansi' by the
                  Goths, which is of course, as you say, cognate with Old Norse 'As'
                  and Old High German 'Ans'.

                  BTW, the corresponding term to Gothic 'Frauja', meaning Lord is also
                  still used in religious German words like 'Fron-leichnam', which
                  means Corpus Christi.

                  Cheers
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 16, 2004
                    You're right, Dirk. I just quoted from memory.
                    In fact, Jordanes wrote "And because of the great victory they had
                    won in this region, they thereafter called their leaders, by whose
                    good fortune they seemed to have conquered, not mere men, but
                    demigods, that is Ansis" (Getica XIII, 78, Charles C. Mierow's
                    translation; in the origina Latin text: "... magnaque potiti per loca
                    victoria iam proceres suos, quorum quasi fortuna vincebant, non puros
                    homines, sed semideos id est Ansis vocaverunt...").

                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 17, 2004
                      wrote:
                      > You're right, Dirk. I just quoted from memory.
                      > In fact, Jordanes wrote "And because of the great victory they had
                      > won in this region, they thereafter called their leaders, by whose
                      > good fortune they seemed to have conquered, not mere men, but
                      > demigods, that is Ansis" (Getica XIII, 78, Charles C. Mierow's
                      > translation; in the origina Latin text: "... magnaque potiti per
                      loca
                      > victoria iam proceres suos, quorum quasi fortuna vincebant, non
                      puros
                      > homines, sed semideos id est Ansis vocaverunt...").
                      >
                      > Francisc

                      Hi Francisc,

                      do you know anything about the linguistics behind these terms? Why
                      was the word 'Ans-' in Gothic and West Germanic, but 'As' in North
                      Germanic? Is this loss of 'n' a regular occurance?

                      Thanks
                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 18, 2004
                        Hi Dirk,

                        it seems to me that sometimes in North Germanic nasals were dropped
                        before fricative consonants (like in ans- > as-), but I don't know
                        what conditionned this phonetic change (anyway, less regular than the
                        similar one in Old Saxon and Old English). I don't have
                        my "Altisländisches Elementarbuch" at hand now (where all sound
                        changes from Common Germanic to Old Norse are described), so I can
                        not verify.

                        Francisc

                        --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "faltin2001" <dirk@s...> wrote:

                        > Hi Francisc,
                        >
                        > do you know anything about the linguistics behind these terms? Why
                        > was the word 'Ans-' in Gothic and West Germanic, but 'As' in North
                        > Germanic? Is this loss of 'n' a regular occurance?
                        >
                        > Thanks
                        > Dirk
                      • homermakedonski
                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 29, 2004
                          Dear Fransis

                          Thanks for your replay and thanks for the replay's of all of the rest
                          of you .
                          I did found your explanations very helpful to me and my views
                          about the words and their meaning what I am searching about.I hope I
                          will wrote soon about it

                          Why God as the word in the Gothic language I have been ask you for
                          Maybe I will be more understandiable if I tell you that I am doing my
                          research from "The beginning "

                          I would like to abuse your hospitality here to make some propaganda
                          over the posible meaning of my country name ,hoping that you would
                          not mine

                          Your's thanksful.
                        • homermakedonski
                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 29, 2004
                            http://www.carm.org/kjv/John/john_1.htm

                            1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the
                            Word was God.

                            2 The same was in the beginning with God.

                            3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made
                            that was made.

                            ----------
                            1.In the beginning was the Word,and the Word was with God,..
                            In the beginning was The Word and the Word was Duma
                            In the beginning was *Duma and *Duma was with Bog
                            *M->N
                            In the beginning was *DoMa and *DoNa was with Boga

                            In the beginning was *Don and Don was with *Bagae
                            *G->K
                            In the beginning was *Don and Don was with *BaeKae
                            *B->M
                            http://pub37.ezboard.com/fistorijabalkanafrm20.showMessage?
                            topicID=87.topic

                            In the beginning was *Don and Don was with *MaeKae
                            In the beginning was Don and Don was with *MaiKae
                            In the beginning was Don and Don was with *Majka
                            In the beginning was Don and Don was with*MaKe

                            "and the Word was God. "
                            and *Duma was God
                            and *Don was God
                            Don~God

                            ADonai-Jews
                            Dion-Espanol
                            Deos-Portugal

                            Dieu-French~*Dieu(n)-*D ie N-*Don

                            Dio, idolo-Italian
                            Diyos-(lat inf), (bathala, ang lumikha)-Tagalog(Filipino)
                            Dumnezeu-Romanian~*Dumne-Duma

                            Dduw, nuw, Celi, Dofydd, celi, cheli, geli, ngheli-Welsh
                            Juma la -Finnish~ *D+juma~*Djumala~*Duma~Don

                            Deus-Latin
                            D->T-TH
                            Theos -Greek
                            ------------

                            2 The same was in the beginning with God.
                            -The Word was in the beginning with God
                            -*Don was in the beginning with* MaKe

                            3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made
                            that was made.

                            Don->*Dzon-Dzom-Dzem-dZem-Zem-Zeme-Zemia-Zemja
                            Don->*uDon-vDon-VoDon-Vodan-Voda
                            Don->*Dzon-oDzon-OdZon-Ozon
                            Don->*oDon-oGon-Ogon-Ogan

                            And all four elements had been created from Don

                            In the beginning was the Word and The Word was Makedonija

                            Take a note pls :
                            Zemja -Earth
                            Voda -water
                            Ogan-fire

                            Homer Makedonski
                          • homermakedonski
                            Message 13 of 16 , Mar 29, 2004
                              -And the Word was Terra-

                              If we supposed then the letter N have had deviated into the letter R
                              via letter
                              eg. analyzing the word Sun
                              soNce - in Macedonian
                              soLem-in Latin
                              suRia -in Hindi language
                              *N->L->R
                              Than instead of Don -Terra as a word shell to appear

                              Don

                              D-*T
                              O-*Oe-oE-E
                              N-*R
                              --------
                              DON
                              TERRA
                              -----------
                              Via Terra all of the text would be on the way :

                              1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the
                              Word was
                              God.

                              -In the beginning was *Terra and *Terra was with *Make-Ma(ke)-Ma
                              ..and Terra was God
                              (this part will never be explained via Terra,except one name only
                              Thor,as for
                              the Scandinavians the Thunder goddess

                              2 The same was in the beginning with God.
                              -Terra was in the beginning with Ma

                              .
                              .
                              .

                              3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made
                              that was
                              made.

                              English version

                              Terra-*Terra-La Ter--Earth-
                              Terra->*W+Tera-Watera-Water
                              Terra->*-T-Era-eAER-AERA-Aero-Air
                              Terra->*(T-P-F)Pera-Pira-Fira-Fire
                              All four elements are here again

                              In the beginning was the Word and the Word was Ma/Terra-Mater
                              or
                              Mother

                              Homer Ma(ke)TerranSKI
                            • homermakedonski
                              Message 14 of 16 , Mar 29, 2004
                                This is my try to write one more time the famous phrase ,now based at
                                my own reconstruction of the Sanscrit language ..
                                I have possibility to "learn it" at site where the original letter's
                                orthography can be seen ,mostly for the words I had focused them as a
                                most importen to me .
                                Those words are :

                                Bhagavan -God
                                uvâca-said
                                vâca-words
                                ca-also
                                And I am making comporation with them on this way:

                                Makedon~Bhagavan
                                Duma ~vBca

                                In the beginning was the Word and the word was ..

                                --------
                                http://srimadbhagavatam.com/1/5/20
                                ------------------------
                                God in Sanscrit is Bhagavan

                                Canto 1: Creation Chapter 5: Nârada's Instructions on Úrîmad-
                                Bhâgavatam for Vyâsadeva
                                Bhaktivedanta VedaBase: Úrîmad Bhâgavatam 1.5.20
                                idam? hi viúvam? bhagavân ivetaro
                                yato jagat-sthâna-nirodha-sambhavâh?
                                tad dhi svayam? veda bhavâm?s tathâpi te
                                prâdeúa-mâtram? bhavatah? pradarúitam
                                SYNONYMS
                                idam - this; hi - all; viúvam - cosmos; bhagavân - the Supreme Lord;
                                iva - almost the same; itarah? - different from; yatah? - from whom;
                                jagat - the worlds; sthâna - exist; nirodha - annihilation;
                                sambhavâh? - creation; tat hi - all about; svayam - personally; veda -
                                know; bhavân - your good self; tathâ api - still; te - unto you;
                                prâdeúa-mâtram - a synopsis only; bhavatah? - unto you; pradarúitam -
                                explained.
                                Again from this text :
                                idam? hi viúvam? bhagavân ivetaro
                                yato jagat-sthâna-nirodha-sambhavâh?
                                tad dhi svayam? veda bhavâm?s tathâpi te
                                prâdeúa-mâtram? bhavatah? pradarúitam;
                                and Explanation as it given :
                                SYNONYMS
                                idam - this; hi - all; viúvam - cosmos; bhagavân - the Supreme Lord; -
                                almost the same; itarah? - different from; yatah? - from whom;
                                jagat - the worlds; sthâna - exist; nirodha - annihilation;
                                sambhavâh? - creation; tat hi - all about; svayam - personally; veda -
                                know; bhavân - your good self; tathâ api - still; te - unto you;
                                prâdeúa-mâtram - a synopsis only; bhavatah? - unto you; pradarúitam -
                                explained.

                                In the beginning was The Word and The Word was "UVA"
                                Searching for the word " Word" in Sanscrit :
                                Word - ?
                                http://srimadbhagavatam.com/1/6/1
                                Canto 1: Creation Chapter 6: Conversation Between Nârada and
                                Vyâsadeva
                                Bhaktivedanta VedaBase: Úrîmad Bhâgavatam 1.6.1
                                sûta uvâca
                                evam? niúamya bhagavân
                                devars?er janma karma ca
                                bhûyah? papraccha tam? brahman
                                vyâsah? satyavatî-sutah?
                                SYNONYMS
                                sûtah? uvâca - Sûta said; evam - thus; niúamya - hearing; bhagavân -
                                the powerful incarnation of God; devars?eh? - of the great sage among
                                the gods; janma - birth; karma - work; ca - and; bhûyah? - again;
                                papraccha - asked; tam - him; brahman - O brâhman?as; vyâsah? -
                                Vyâsadeva; satyavatî-sutah? - the son of Satyavatî.
                                TRANSLATION
                                Sûta said: O brâhman?as, thus hearing all about Úrî Nârada's birth
                                and activities, Vyâsadeva, the incarnation of God and son of
                                Satyavatî, inquired as follows.
                                At this text we will opserve the word
                                sûta uvâca
                                evam? niúamya bhagavân
                                devars?er janma karma ca
                                bhûyah? papraccha tam? brahman
                                vyâsah? satyavatî-sutah?

                                and we will try to find it's meaning :
                                Again the same text ,and traslaction is :
                                SYNONYMS
                                sûtah? uvâca - Sûta said; evam - thus; niúamya - hearing; bhagavân -
                                the powerful incarnation of God; devars?eh? - of the great sage among
                                the gods; janma - birth; karma - work; ca - and; bhûyah? - again;
                                papraccha - asked; tam - him; brahman - O brâhman?as; vyâsah? -
                                Vyâsadeva; satyavatî-sutah? - the son of Satyavatî.
                                uvâca-said

                                next word is the word :words
                                from:
                                http://srimadbhagavatam.com/1/6/20
                                Canto 1: Creation Chapter 6: Conversation Between Nârada and
                                Vyâsadeva
                                Bhaktivedanta VedaBase: Úrîmad Bhâgavatam 1.6.20
                                evam? yatantam? vijane
                                mâm âhâgocaro girâm
                                gambhîra-úlaks?n?ayâ vâcâ
                                úucah? praúamayann iva
                                SYNONYMS
                                evam - thus; yatantam - one who is engaged in attempting; vijane - in
                                that lonely place; mâm - unto me; âha - said; agocarah? - beyond the
                                range of physical sound; girâm - utterances; gambhîra - grave; úlaks?
                                n?aya - pleasing to hear; vâcâ - words; úucah? - grief; praúamayan -
                                mitigating; iva - like.
                                TRANSLATION
                                Seeing my attempts in that lonely place, the Personality of Godhead,
                                who is transcendental to all mundane description, spoke to me with
                                gravity and pleasing words, just to mitigate my grief.
                                Focus on the text is here:
                                evam? yatantam? vijane
                                mâm âhâgocaro girâm
                                gambhîra-úlaks?n?ayâ vâcâ
                                úucah? praúamayann iva
                                and explanation is :

                                SYNONYMS
                                evam - thus; yatantam - one who is engaged in attempting; vijane - in
                                that lonely place; mâm - unto me; âha - said; agocarah? - beyond the
                                range of physical sound; girâm - utterances; gambhîra - grave; úlaks?
                                n?aya - pleasing to hear; vâcâ - words; úucah? - grief; praúamayan -
                                mitigating; iva - like.
                                vâcâ - words
                                Now let's make a reconstruction for the word uvaca

                                Chapter 3: Kr?s?n?a Is the Source of All Incarnations
                                Bhaktivedanta VedaBase: Úrimad Bhagavatam 1.3.44
                                tatra kirtayato vipra
                                viprars?er bhuri-tejasah?
                                aham? cadhyagamam? tatra
                                nivis?t?as tad-anugrahat
                                so 'ham? vah? úravayis?yami
                                yathadhitam? yatha-mati
                                SYNONYMS
                                tatra - there; kîrtayatah? - while reciting; viprâh? - O brâhman?as;
                                vipra-r?s?eh? - from the great brâhman?a-r?s?i; bhûri - greatly;
                                tejasah? - powerful; aham - I; ca - also; adhyagamam - could
                                understand; tatra - in that meeting; nivis?t?ah? - being perfectly
                                attentive; tat-anugrahât - by his mercy; sah? - that very thing;
                                aham - I; vah? - unto you; úravayis?yami - shall let you hear; yathâ-
                                adhîtam yathâ-mati - as far as my realization.
                                TRANSLATION
                                O learned brâhman?as, when Úukadeva Gosvâmî recited Bhâgavatam there
                                [in the presence of Emperor Parîks?it], I heard him with rapt
                                attention, and thus, by his mercy, I learned the Bhâgavatam from that
                                great and powerful sage. Now I shall try to make you hear the very
                                same thing as I learned it from him and as I have realized it.
                                __________________
                                From this text we focus on the word >ca <
                                tatra kirtayato vipra
                                viprars?er bhuri-tejasah?
                                aham? cadhyagamam? tatra
                                nivis?t?as tad-anugrahat
                                so 'ham? vah? úravayis?yami
                                yathadhitam? yatha-mati
                                and it explanation: :
                                SYNONYMS
                                tatra - there; kîrtayatah? - while reciting; viprâh? - O brâhman?as;
                                vipra-r?s?eh? - from the great brâhman?a-r?s?i; bhûri - greatly;
                                tejasah? - powerful; aham - I; ca - also; adhyagamam - could
                                understand; tatra - in that meeting; nivis?t?ah? - being perfectly
                                attentive; tat-anugrahât - by his mercy; sah? - that very thing;
                                aham - I; vah? - unto you; úravayis?yami - shall let you hear; yathâ-
                                adhîtam yathâ-mati - as far as my realization.

                                ca-also;

                                Now a bit of free reconstruction for finding the word-Word from here:
                                uvâca-said
                                vâca-words
                                ca-also
                                u/vâ/ca
                                if I make a paralele with our word Duma with
                                uvâca-said
                                ..if someone is something said
                                and that saying is often
                                ca-also than rest is Uva -U/va
                                *Uva~Duma
                                U-U
                                *V->*B->*M
                                A-A
                                *Uva->*Uma->(D)Uma->Duma

                                Now back to the Text :

                                1.In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the
                                Word was
                                God
                                In the beginning was the Word and the word was
                                *U/va and *U/va was with Bhagavan
                                Bhagavan is God in Sanscrit
                                Bhaga/van
                                Bhaga/(U)VAN
                                Bhaga/Van
                                .. and the Word was God
                                with u/va this condition is inpossible to be explained
                                ,maybe if it is opserved only as
                                UVA-U/Va-
                                *V-*B-*M
                                and than is U/MA
                                Ma as Mother
                                2. The same was in the beginning with God.
                                -UVA(N)was in the beginning with Bhaga
                                .
                                .
                                .
                                3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made
                                that was
                                made.
                                what it's Today's as a hindy version:
                                UVAN~DUMA~DON
                                *DON->*ODON->*OGON->*OGNI->*AGNI->*HAGNI->Fire
                                *DON->*DAN->*PAN->PANI-water
                                *DON->*DUMA->*DUVA->
                                *D->*H (via D-> Dz-K's->X->H)
                                *Duva->*Huva->*Hauva->*Hawa-Air
                                They are only three elements in Hynduism
                                the fourth one is Mother Earth Herself
                                for the Earth are saying Zemni
                                or for the planet Earth will say DUNYIA
                                Don->Don ia->Dunyia
                                In the beginning was the Word and the Word was
                                Bhagavan
                                and a question why is that
                                bhagavân - the Supreme Lord; -
                                BHAGA/VAN