Gothic Religion

  • fouchon21218
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 15, 2004
      Can anyone direct me to information on the religious beliefs of the
      Goths "before" their conversion to Arianism?

      SVE
    • fouchon21218
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 15, 2004
        Forgive me if this duplicates an earlier post, but--

        Can someone direct me to information on the religion of the
        Goths 'before' they were converted to Christianity.

        New Member aka Taz
      • rikeckhart
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 13, 2004
          --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "fouchon21218" <emil13@e...> wrote:
          > Forgive me if this duplicates an earlier post, but--
          >
          > Can someone direct me to information on the religion of the
          > Goths 'before' they were converted to Christianity.
          >
          > New Member aka Taz

          Please read Herodotos Historia chapter 4:93. You will find the story
          of Zalmoxis (born 713 BC)who teached that the soul after death was
          going to Walhalla or a kind of heaven called "the domain of
          Zalmoxis".

          Rik Eckhart
        • rikeckhart
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 13, 2004
            --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "fouchon21218" <emil13@e...> wrote:
            > Can anyone direct me to information on the religious beliefs of the
            > Goths "before" their conversion to Arianism?
            >
            > SVE

            There was no conversion to Arianism. Arianism is a word Katholics use
            to give een name to religions that do nog underscribe the dogmata of
            Nicea (325).
            Please read Auxentius on Wulfila and his religion and read Skeireins
            (in Wulfila-project). In these tekst the anti-Katholic, anti-dogmatic
            vieuw of Wulfila is defended.
            Personaly I think Wulfila's religion goes back to the teachings of
            Origenes, that were forbidden in the 5th century.

            Rik Eckhart
            Netherlands.
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 16, 2004
              Dear Rik,

              don't be misled by the old confusion between Goths (Germanic) and
              Getae (Thracian).
              Herodot writes about the Getae and their god Zalmoxis (in other
              sources: Zamolxis), but not about Walhalla. Following a tendency of
              that time, he re-interpreted the Getic chthonian god Zamolxis /
              Zalmoxis as a historical person.

              Francisc