Re: Germanic/Gothic phonology and Wright's grammar

    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 13, 2003
      --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "gazariah" <brahmabull@h...> wrote:
      > Dirk--
      >
      > Thanks from a pure amateur for the help and insight. Does
      Tischler's
      > article seem to be part of a still-living controversy about the
      > breakup of Common Germanic, or is he just putting the last nails
      into
      > the coffin of the "gemein ost-nord-germanisch" theory? In other
      > words, does the article bring up any recent scholarly work that
      > controverts Tischler's own point of view?
      >
      > Cheers,
      > Gazariah

      Hi Gazariah,

      Tischler's article was written for the Reallexikon der Germanischen
      Altertumskunde. As such his aim was to present the latest state of
      research on the question at hand, rather than presenting a new line
      of thinking. Therefore, his conclusion that the "gemein ost-nord-
      germanisch" theory is untenable is presented as opinio communis. I am
      nowhere near an expert on languages, but his linguistic line of
      argumentation is supported also by the general historical background,
      which he also referes to.

      Cheers,