Re: Carpathians and Croatians

    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 25, 2003
      Dear Vladimir,

      Very interesting indeed, because Greutungi/Tervingi represent the
      opposition "plain dwellers / wood dwellers", exactly
      like "Polyane/Drevlyane". About the opposition "Serbs/Croats"
      (Srb/Hrvat), you don't have to forget that these are old Slavic
      tribal names, found also elsewhere in the Slavic world ("Serbs" are
      also the Sorabs, or Lusacian Serbs, still living in NE Germany,
      while "Croats" were also the White Croats, who lived approx. where is
      now the Transcarpatian Region [Zakarpatskaya Oblast'] of Ukraine).
      The Illyric languages represent a separate branch of Indo-European.
      In the past, some scholars regarded them as closely related to
      Thracian, speaking about a "Thraco-Illyric" language group, but today
      they are regarded rather as different branches of Indo-European, the
      Thracian languages (Geto-Daco-Moesian, Southern Thracian, and Mysian)
      being "satem" languages, most closely related probably to Phrygian,
      while the Illyric languages where apparently rather "centum"
      languages.
      Regarding the origin of the name "Tervingi", the most accepted
      interpretation (found also in Köbler's comprehensive "Gotisches
      Wörterbuch") is "woodlanders, inabitants of the woods", the root terv-
      being considered a variant of the Gothic word "triu" = "wood, stick"
      (cognate, for instance, with the English word "tree" and, on Indo-
      European level, for instance with the Greek "drus" = "oak", and with
      Russian "derevo").
      I tried to gothicize your first name as "Waldamer(ei)s", because once
      I have read that "Vladimir" comes from "Valdemar", and the last would
      be in Gothic "Waldamer(ei)s". The form "Lodomer" for "Vladimir" as a
      place name is found indeed in the Hungarian chronicle "Gesta
      Hungarorum", with anonymous author (called "Anonymus"), of the
      11/12th century, but describing events of the 9/10th century. I
      thought that "Lodomer" is an Old Hungarian deformation of "Vladimir"
      (probably in the variant "Volodimir/Wlodimir") rather than the
      correct form for "Vladimir". This supposition is supported also by
      the fact that "Vladimir" became in Lithuanian "Valdimieras", with the
      significance "ruler, king" (exactly like the Latin proper name Caesar
      becoming "kaisar" in Gothic, "Kaiser" in German, and "tzar" in
      Slavic, all meaning "emperor", or the Frankish proper name Karl
      becoming korol'/krol/kral' in Slavic languages, meaning "king"). But
      in case you're right, than the Gothic form of "Vladimir" would
      be "Hlothamer(ei)s".

      Francisc