RE: [gothic-l] Carpathians and Croatians

  • Егоров Владимир
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 18, 2003
      Hi Francisc!

      Except for some questionable notes, e.g. ethnicity
      of the Bastarnae and Peucini (the latter were a branch
      of the former?), which probably had the Celtic origin
      rather than German one and, accordingly, scarcely spoke
      an East German language, your basic conjectures look
      very attractive. I like your etymology of the Croats
      from the Gothic *harbada.

      Moreover, I believe that the East Goths having been
      dislodged westward by the Huns involved some Slavic
      tribes from the Carpathian Mountains into their long
      drift to Apennines. The Gothic migration might have
      separated the South Slavic tribes (conceivably
      the 'Antes') and initiate the further distinction
      between the Croats and Serbs. Note that both peoples
      speak the same language up to nowadays. But the Slavic
      tribes, which had migrated with the East Goths, entered
      the Roman influence area, accepted the Roman Catholicism
      and became Croats while other South Slavic tribes,
      which had followed the West Goths, remained in
      the Byzantine influence area, joined the Orthodox Church
      and became Serbs.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

      Vladimir

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 19, 2003
        Hi, Vladimir,

        Thank you very much for your appreciation.

        --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, åÇÏÒÏ× ÷ÌÁÄÉÍÉÒ <vegorov@i...> wrote:
        > Hi Francisc!
        >
        > Except for some questionable notes, e.g. ethnicity
        > of the Bastarnae and Peucini (the latter were a branch
        > of the former?), which probably had the Celtic origin
        > rather than German one and, accordingly, scarcely spoke
        > an East German language, your basic conjectures look
        > very attractive. I like your etymology of the Croats
        > from the Gothic *harbada.

        Most sources that I have read (including such authorities like Herwig
        Wolfram in "Die Germanen") state that the Bastarnae were an East
        Germanic tribe, although I don't know what is the support for such an
        assertion. I have also read that in fact it is not clear whether the
        Bastarnae were Celtic or Germanic. Wolfram considers a mixed
        character of the Bastarnae, interpreting their name as "the
        bastards", in opposition to the Skirians - the "sheer" (Got. skeirs),
        i.e. "pure Germanic".
        The Peucini were indeed a branch of the Bastarnae, who lived
        (according to Ptolemy) in the Danube Delta. Their name seems to be
        derivated from an island in the Danube Delta, called Peuce (although
        I have also read that Peuce was in fact Leuke, the ancient name of
        the Ostrov Zmeiny in the Black Sea).
        Regarding the etymology of "Hrvat", I have read that it is of unknown
        origin. The similarity with "harbada" (pronounced like [harvada])
        arose suddenly in my head, but it could be only a mere coincidence.
        Anyway, I like it too.

        > Moreover, I believe that the East Goths having been
        > dislodged westward by the Huns involved some Slavic
        > tribes from the Carpathian Mountains into their long
        > drift to Apennines. The Gothic migration might have
        > separated the South Slavic tribes (conceivably
        > the 'Antes') and initiate the further distinction
        > between the Croats and Serbs. Note that both peoples
        > speak the same language up to nowadays. But the Slavic
        > tribes, which had migrated with the East Goths, entered
        > the Roman influence area, accepted the Roman Catholicism
        > and became Croats while other South Slavic tribes,
        > which had followed the West Goths, remained in
        > the Byzantine influence area, joined the Orthodox Church
        > and became Serbs.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-
        microsoft-com:office:office" />

        > Vladimir

        Very interesting your theory about the Slavic migrations triggered by
        the Goths. As far as I have read, a major role in the movement of
        Slavic tribes played the Avars, but it is possible that the Goths
        also played a role, since the Slavic migration begun before the
        arrival of the Avars.
        I don't understand why you state that the South Slavic tribes who
        followed the West Goths joined the Orthodox Church, since the West
        Goths had nothing to do with Orthodoxism (they were Arian, and in
        Spain became Catholics). As far as I know, the only Goths who joined
        the Orthodox Church were the Crimean Goths (but the Gothi Minores,
        who settled south of Danube with Wulfila, although initially Arian,
        must have become Orthodox, parallel with their assimilation by the
        Slavic population).
        Regarding the origin of South Slavs, I have read in a Romanian
        history book that they were rather "Sclavini" than "Antes", but there
        was no argument given for this assertion.

        With best regards,
        Francisc
      • Егоров Владимир
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 20, 2003
          Hi, Francisc!

          I do not insist on belonging of the Bastarnae
          to either Celtic or German world. The more so
          since it is not very important for your hypothesis.
          By the way, Shchukin considered the Bastarnae as
          a separate ethnicity belonging to neither Celtics
          nor Germans. According to Shchukin, the Bastarnae
          were creators of the Zarubinetskaya and
          Poyaneshty-Lukashevka archaeological cultures,
          and he considered them as possible forerunners
          (among others) of the Slavs.

          (If yuo read Russian and find this of interest, see

          http://stratum.ant.md/05_99/articles/Sciukin/sciukin00.htm

          <http://www.nestor.md/Russian/Sciukin.htm> http://www.nestor.md/Russian/Sciukin.htm)

          Saying about the Slavs under the West Goths I meant
          the period when the Goths started their migration
          to the West, i.e. the end of the 4th c., and when
          the Roman emperor Valentus granted to the West Goths
          just territories somewhere near contemporaneous Serbia.
          That is, the West Goths, I have said about, were,
          if you do not mind, your Gothi Minores. Of course,
          the Slavs did not accompany the Goths to Spain.

          The term 'Sclavini' appeared in the middle of the 6th c.
          (Procopius, Jordanes) for the Slavs along Danube that
          invaded the Roman Empire. The term 'Antes' was usually
          applied to the Slavic and Alanic tribes along the Black Sea.
          I merely supposed that if under the Hunnish pressure
          the West Goths brought some Slavic tribes to Danube,
          those tribes must have been 'Antes'. But all this is
          also incidentally.

          Vladimir

          **

          **

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=244522.3707890.4968055.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705297328:HM/A=1595056/R=0/SIG=124p07ne0/*http://ashnin.com/clk/muryutaitakenattogyo?YH=3707890&yhad=1595056> Click Here!
          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=244522.3707890.4968055.1261774/D=egroupmail/S=:HM/A=1595056/rand=276006615>

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 22, 2003
            Hi, Vladimir!
            (BTW, in Gothic your name would be *Waldamers or *Waldamereis)

            The Gothi Minores ("Lesser Goths") represent indeed a branch of the
            West Goths, but not their mainstream.
            In the year 348 A.D., when the West Goths still lived north of Danube
            (in Dacia), bishop Wulfila had to flee south of Danube because of the
            persecutions from the West Gothic leader Athanaric. He didn't leave
            alone, but was followed by a number of Christianized West Goths who
            settled in the Roman province Moesia Inferior (near Nicopolis), in NE
            of today's Bulgaria. The mainstream of the West Goths crossed the
            Danube in 376 A.D. after their defeat by the Huns and were allowed by
            Emperor Valens to settle in the Province Thracia (which means rather
            the southern part of today's Bulgaria than Serbia). In the next year
            the Thracian West Goths rebelled against the Roman administration
            because of bad treatment and destroyed the Roman army in the battle
            of Adrianopolis (August 9, 378), were the Emperor Valens himself was
            killed. Later they moved westward, first (already under Alaric) in
            the Province Illyricum (which indeed is superposed partially with
            modern Serbia), then in Italy, then South Gaul, and finally Spain.
            But all these events didn't regard the more peaceful Gothi Minores.
            They remained in Moesia Inferior and, according to the German
            historian Walahfrid Strabo, Gothic was still used in his time (9th
            century) in some churches in the region of Lower Danube, in the
            neighborhood of Tomi (now Constanta in Dobrudja, Romania).

            I can read Russian and have read the articles of Shchukin in the
            links provided by you. Indeed, he believes that the Bastarnae were
            neither Celtic nor Germanic, nor something between Celtic and
            Germanic, but possibly an Indo-European branch for itself: "The
            controversy on the ethnic character of the Bastarnae doesn't make
            sense. The Bastarnae were Bastarnic". Interestingly, he mentions that
            from the 5 known Bastarnic words, two are Germanic, and three cannot
            be assigned to any known language.
            However, Shchukin doesn't consider that the Slavic languages descend
            from Bastarnic (whatever this could be), but that Bastarnic acted as
            a substratum for Slavic, helping its individualization from the Balto-
            Slavic language continuum.

            Francisc

            --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, åÇÏÒÏ× ÷ÌÁÄÉÍÉÒ <vegorov@i...> wrote:
            > Hi, Francisc!
            >
            > <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-
            com:office:office" />

            > I do not insist on belonging of the Bastarnae
            > to either Celtic or German world. The more so
            > since it is not very important for your hypothesis.
            > By the way, Shchukin considered the Bastarnae as
            > a separate ethnicity belonging to neither Celtics
            > nor Germans. According to Shchukin, the Bastarnae
            > were creators of the Zarubinetskaya and
            > Poyaneshty-Lukashevka archaeological cultures,
            > and he considered them as possible forerunners
            > (among others) of the Slavs.
            >

            > (If yuo read Russian and find this of interest, see
            >
            > http://stratum.ant.md/05_99/articles/Sciukin/sciukin00.htm
            >
            > <http://www.nestor.md/Russian/Sciukin.htm>
            http://www.nestor.md/Russian/Sciukin.htm)

            > Saying about the Slavs under the West Goths I meant
            > the period when the Goths started their migration
            > to the West, i.e. the end of the 4th c., and when
            > the Roman emperor Valentus granted to the West Goths
            > just territories somewhere near contemporaneous Serbia.
            > That is, the West Goths, I have said about, were,
            > if you do not mind, your Gothi Minores. Of course,
            > the Slavs did not accompany the Goths to Spain.
            >

            > The term 'Sclavini' appeared in the middle of the 6th c.
            > (Procopius, Jordanes) for the Slavs along Danube that
            > invaded the Roman Empire. The term 'Antes' was usually
            > applied to the Slavic and Alanic tribes along the Black Sea.
            > I merely supposed that if under the Hunnish pressure
            > the West Goths brought some Slavic tribes to Danube,
            > those tribes must have been 'Antes'. But all this is
            > also incidentally.
            >

            > Vladimir

          • Tore Gannholm
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 22, 2003
              Hi!

              I have part of

              Rome and the Barbarians in Central and Eastern Europe
              Mark B. Schukin

              on

              http://www.stavgard.com/Gotland/beowulf_/shchukin/default.htm

              Tore

            • Егоров Владимир
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 24, 2003
                Hi Francisc!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

                Thank you for your exhaustive comments making
                the matter more precise to me. I'm not very
                experienced in the legal Gothic history,
                and my suppositions are more intuitive (and
                maybe naive) than scientific and well grounded.
                But I still can not get rid from a feeling
                that the contraposition of the East Goths
                (Greutungi) and West Goths (Tervingi) might
                be extended not only to the Slavic tribes
                'Polyane'/'Drevlyane' of the Russian Original
                Chronicle but to the Serbs/Croats as well.
                Perhaps I am wrong but I do not give up and
                keep looking for proper arguments.

                In this connection, could you help me in
                a particular problem regarding Illyric languages,
                the Geto-Dacian language specifically. Derivation
                of the ethnonym 'Terving' (i.e. the stem 'terv')
                from the Geto-Dacian language, interesting by
                itself, would have far-reaching consequences.

                Regarding my first name and not rejecting your
                conventional interpretation based on transliterating
                'Vladi-' as 'Walda-', I should note that some
                Hungarian and old Greek chronicles transliterated
                'Vladimir' as 'Lodomer'/'Lodimer'. The Hungarians
                and Greeks were closer to Kiev of the 10/11th centuries,
                and trusting to them we have to derive 'Vlad' from old
                Germanic 'Hloed(r)' (later German 'Lotar').

                Vladimir

                **********

                <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259538.3760361.5018013.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705297328:HM/A=1712983/R=0/SIG=11u38u3s2/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/hit?page=1374-105951838331032> click here
                <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=259538.3760361.5018013.1261774/D=egroupmail/S=:HM/A=1712983/rand=809826142>

                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 25, 2003
                  Dear Vladimir,

                  Very interesting indeed, because Greutungi/Tervingi represent the
                  opposition "plain dwellers / wood dwellers", exactly
                  like "Polyane/Drevlyane". About the opposition "Serbs/Croats"
                  (Srb/Hrvat), you don't have to forget that these are old Slavic
                  tribal names, found also elsewhere in the Slavic world ("Serbs" are
                  also the Sorabs, or Lusacian Serbs, still living in NE Germany,
                  while "Croats" were also the White Croats, who lived approx. where is
                  now the Transcarpatian Region [Zakarpatskaya Oblast'] of Ukraine).
                  The Illyric languages represent a separate branch of Indo-European.
                  In the past, some scholars regarded them as closely related to
                  Thracian, speaking about a "Thraco-Illyric" language group, but today
                  they are regarded rather as different branches of Indo-European, the
                  Thracian languages (Geto-Daco-Moesian, Southern Thracian, and Mysian)
                  being "satem" languages, most closely related probably to Phrygian,
                  while the Illyric languages where apparently rather "centum"
                  languages.
                  Regarding the origin of the name "Tervingi", the most accepted
                  interpretation (found also in Köbler's comprehensive "Gotisches
                  Wörterbuch") is "woodlanders, inabitants of the woods", the root terv-
                  being considered a variant of the Gothic word "triu" = "wood, stick"
                  (cognate, for instance, with the English word "tree" and, on Indo-
                  European level, for instance with the Greek "drus" = "oak", and with
                  Russian "derevo").
                  I tried to gothicize your first name as "Waldamer(ei)s", because once
                  I have read that "Vladimir" comes from "Valdemar", and the last would
                  be in Gothic "Waldamer(ei)s". The form "Lodomer" for "Vladimir" as a
                  place name is found indeed in the Hungarian chronicle "Gesta
                  Hungarorum", with anonymous author (called "Anonymus"), of the
                  11/12th century, but describing events of the 9/10th century. I
                  thought that "Lodomer" is an Old Hungarian deformation of "Vladimir"
                  (probably in the variant "Volodimir/Wlodimir") rather than the
                  correct form for "Vladimir". This supposition is supported also by
                  the fact that "Vladimir" became in Lithuanian "Valdimieras", with the
                  significance "ruler, king" (exactly like the Latin proper name Caesar
                  becoming "kaisar" in Gothic, "Kaiser" in German, and "tzar" in
                  Slavic, all meaning "emperor", or the Frankish proper name Karl
                  becoming korol'/krol/kral' in Slavic languages, meaning "king"). But
                  in case you're right, than the Gothic form of "Vladimir" would
                  be "Hlothamer(ei)s".

                  Francisc