Re: Gothic Dance?

    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 4, 2003
      The description of this 'Gothic dance' is from:

      Constantine VII Porphyrgenitus: De Ceremonies Aulae Byzantinae, in
      which the emperor describes the Byzantine court ceremonies. However,
      as noted earlier this dance referes to the Varangian guards in
      Constantinopel in the 10th century. It has nothing to do with the
      East Germanic Goths.

      Cheers
      Dirk

      --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "faltin2001" <dirk@s...> wrote:
      > --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "hrafnsnest" <wulfsligrs@c...>
      wrote:
      > > Hails,
      > > While doing some research, I came across something referred to
      as
      > > the "Gothic Dance". The author references the "Byzantine Book of
      > > Ceremonies". Can anyone be of assistance here? Granted,
      > the "Goths"
      > > mentioned were probably Varangian Guard, but what I'm looking for
      > > here is a discription of the dance itself.
      > >
      > > Thank you,
      > > Valulfr
      >

      > Hi Valulfr,
      >
      > as Ingemar explained this has nothing whatsoever to do with the
      > Goths. We have no information about Gothic dances at all. If
      somebody
      > described the ringelreign of Varangian bodyguards as 'Gothic dance'
      > he/she simply didn't know what they were talking about.
      >
      > Cheers
      > Dirk
    • Tore Gannholm
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 4, 2003
        Hi!
        Do we know when the Varangian guard was established?
        Tore

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 5, 2003
          --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, Tore Gannholm <tore.gannholm@s...>
          wrote:
          > Hi!
          > Do we know when the Varangian guard was established?
          > Tore

          This web-site claims that the Varangian guard was established in
          988AD, by emperor Basilios III.

          http://users.bigpond.net.au/quarfwa/miklagard/period/guard.htm

          This is apparently the first mentioning of the Varangian guard,
          including a contemporary drawing. The first mentioning refers to a
          Varangian who tried to rape a women and was killed by her.

          http://users.bigpond.net.au/quarfwa/miklagard/period/skylitzes_peter.h
          tm

          Another picture showing them with their axes is here.

          http://users.bigpond.net.au/quarfwa/miklagard/period/skylitzes1.htm

          Dirk

          > >Hails
          > >
          > >Yes, this is the Varangian guard. They dressed up in full war gear
          and ran
          > >around in a circle inside the palace. I think they did this every
          time an
          > >emperor died. They were allowed to pillage the emperors hoard. I
          could be
          > >mixing two things here though.
          > >
          > >Terje
          > >

          > >>From: "hrafnsnest" <wulfsligrs@c...>
          > >>To: gothic-l@yahoogroups.com
          > >>Subject: [gothic-l] Gothic Dance?
          > >>Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2003 14:09:05 -0000
          > >>
          > >>Hails,
          > >> While doing some research, I came across something referred
          to as
          > >>the "Gothic Dance". The author references the "Byzantine Book of
          > >>Ceremonies". Can anyone be of assistance here? Granted,
          the "Goths"
          > >>mentioned were probably Varangian Guard, but what I'm looking for
          > >>here is a discription of the dance itself.
          > >>
          > >>Thank you,
          > > >Valulfr
          > >>

          > --
        • hrafnsnest
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 5, 2003
            Great info. all -
            But do we know if the term 'Gothic dance' is used in the original
            text, or is this a literary device used by Prof. H.R. Davidson? In
            addition can someone provide the exact description of the dance, and
            what they were wearing? I have several Prof. Davidson's works, but
            not the one mentioned.

            Thanks,
            Valulfr