Re: Gothic Dance?

    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 4, 2003
      --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "hrafnsnest" <wulfsligrs@c...> wrote:
      > Hails,
      > While doing some research, I came across something referred to as
      > the "Gothic Dance". The author references the "Byzantine Book of
      > Ceremonies". Can anyone be of assistance here? Granted,
      the "Goths"
      > mentioned were probably Varangian Guard, but what I'm looking for
      > here is a discription of the dance itself.
      >
      > Thank you,
      > Valulfr

      Hi Valulfr,

      as Ingemar explained this has nothing whatsoever to do with the
      Goths. We have no information about Gothic dances at all. If somebody
      described the ringelreign of Varangian bodyguards as 'Gothic dance'
      he/she simply didn't know what they were talking about.

      Cheers
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 4, 2003
        The description of this 'Gothic dance' is from:

        Constantine VII Porphyrgenitus: De Ceremonies Aulae Byzantinae, in
        which the emperor describes the Byzantine court ceremonies. However,
        as noted earlier this dance referes to the Varangian guards in
        Constantinopel in the 10th century. It has nothing to do with the
        East Germanic Goths.

        Cheers
        Dirk

        --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "faltin2001" <dirk@s...> wrote:
        > --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "hrafnsnest" <wulfsligrs@c...>
        wrote:
        > > Hails,
        > > While doing some research, I came across something referred to
        as
        > > the "Gothic Dance". The author references the "Byzantine Book of
        > > Ceremonies". Can anyone be of assistance here? Granted,
        > the "Goths"
        > > mentioned were probably Varangian Guard, but what I'm looking for
        > > here is a discription of the dance itself.
        > >
        > > Thank you,
        > > Valulfr
        >

        > Hi Valulfr,
        >
        > as Ingemar explained this has nothing whatsoever to do with the
        > Goths. We have no information about Gothic dances at all. If
        somebody
        > described the ringelreign of Varangian bodyguards as 'Gothic dance'
        > he/she simply didn't know what they were talking about.
        >
        > Cheers
        > Dirk
      • Tore Gannholm
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 4, 2003
          Hi!
          Do we know when the Varangian guard was established?
          Tore

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 5, 2003
            --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, Tore Gannholm <tore.gannholm@s...>
            wrote:
            > Hi!
            > Do we know when the Varangian guard was established?
            > Tore

            This web-site claims that the Varangian guard was established in
            988AD, by emperor Basilios III.

            http://users.bigpond.net.au/quarfwa/miklagard/period/guard.htm

            This is apparently the first mentioning of the Varangian guard,
            including a contemporary drawing. The first mentioning refers to a
            Varangian who tried to rape a women and was killed by her.

            http://users.bigpond.net.au/quarfwa/miklagard/period/skylitzes_peter.h
            tm

            Another picture showing them with their axes is here.

            http://users.bigpond.net.au/quarfwa/miklagard/period/skylitzes1.htm

            Dirk

            > >Hails
            > >
            > >Yes, this is the Varangian guard. They dressed up in full war gear
            and ran
            > >around in a circle inside the palace. I think they did this every
            time an
            > >emperor died. They were allowed to pillage the emperors hoard. I
            could be
            > >mixing two things here though.
            > >
            > >Terje
            > >

            > >>From: "hrafnsnest" <wulfsligrs@c...>
            > >>To: gothic-l@yahoogroups.com
            > >>Subject: [gothic-l] Gothic Dance?
            > >>Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2003 14:09:05 -0000
            > >>
            > >>Hails,
            > >> While doing some research, I came across something referred
            to as
            > >>the "Gothic Dance". The author references the "Byzantine Book of
            > >>Ceremonies". Can anyone be of assistance here? Granted,
            the "Goths"
            > >>mentioned were probably Varangian Guard, but what I'm looking for
            > >>here is a discription of the dance itself.
            > >>
            > >>Thank you,
            > > >Valulfr
            > >>

            > --
          • hrafnsnest
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 5, 2003
              Great info. all -
              But do we know if the term 'Gothic dance' is used in the original
              text, or is this a literary device used by Prof. H.R. Davidson? In
              addition can someone provide the exact description of the dance, and
              what they were wearing? I have several Prof. Davidson's works, but
              not the one mentioned.

              Thanks,
              Valulfr