[gothic-l] Re: 'namna' is correct

  • jdm314@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 2, 1999
      jdm31-@... wrote:
      original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/gothic-l/?start=720
      > Um, my Oxford Study Edition of the New English Bible, states the
      following
      > about the birth of Benjamin, son of Rachel and Jacob:
      >
      > "Then with her [Rachel's] last breath , as she was dying, she named
      him
      > Benboni

      I thoungt it was Benoni, but I don't have my bible handy.

      > {b}, but his father called him Benjamin.{c}
      >
      > {b} That is, Son of my ill luck.
      > {c} That is, Son of good luck or Son of the right hand."
      >
      > It would seem that since the bible pretty much spelled out the
      meaning of
      > Benjamin in the text, it would have been hard for people to backform
      the jamin
      > to mean anything but "good luck" or "right hand" They were, after
      all, The

      Right hand is actually the first meaning, but the point is that it's a
      well-omened name.

      > people of the book, and probably would have been knowledgeable enough
      to know
      > the meaning of the name which made up one of the twelve tribes.

      Embelishment of the stories certainly did occur with all sorts of
      exegesis beyond what we get in the bible, but I agree with you: the
      Benjamin > Jamin > James thing is inspired, but almost certainly a new
      idea.

      -JDM

    • jdm314@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 2, 1999
        jdm31-@... wrote:
        original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/gothic-l/?start=721
        > Concerning James:
        >
        > Apparently, [SNIP, I do not contovert anything in the majority of
        your post, but neither do I have anything interesting to say about it]

        > As for Jason, in Greek the intitial iota could have been the vowel
        > followed by the /j/, Latin would have simply made this /j-/ like the y
        > in yellow. Latin I and Greek iota were commonly used to represent the
        > consonantal /j-/ when followed by a vowel. Modern Latin or Romance
        > languages changed this to the /dj-/ quality rather comparatively late
        --
        > toward the last two centuries of the first millenium. Spanish speakers

        I know this story off course, my point about Iason is NOT the
        orthography, though. My point was that since the name occurs in poetry
        (both Greek and Latin) we know that the i was pronounced as a VOWEL in
        this particular name (at least in the formal situation of a poem)
        However, it seems to me likely that colloquially it was pronounced
        CONSONENTALLY as i was in many other words and names, since it yields a
        j- in other languages, and the consonental i- regularly does this.
        Contrast names like Io (not Jo) and so on.
        Note, of course, that Jason's fater was Æson, which is simply a
        metathesis of his name when written in Greek- IASÔN/AISÔN

        > apparently had a hard time keeping up with the Italian fashions in
        > pronunciation for we find Diego/Iago for Iacobus/Giacomo and Juan and
        > Jose for Iohannes/Giovanni and Iosephus/Giuseppe. French was probably

        Diego/Iago I get, but are Juan and Jose borrowed from Italian?? I
        assumed they were just the Spanish outcomes of those names.
        Though ingluence of Giuseppe sure explains why Pepe is a nickname for
        Jose!

        > first in changing the pronunciation of initial consonantal i.
        > Would not Karls (with a non palatalized k-) be a likely candidate for
        > Gothic form of Charles/Carl?

        It sounds more likely to me, but then I don't know the first thing
        about this subject and I'm just going on sound ;)

        Ïusteinus

        > Tomas
      • Tomas Mac an Chrosain
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 4, 1999
          Iusteinus:
          > Diego/Iago I get, but are Juan and Jose borrowed from Italian?? I
          > assumed they were just the Spanish outcomes of those names.
          > Though ingluence of Giuseppe sure explains why Pepe is a nickname for
          > Jose!

          Latin was centered in Italian Rome. Latin speech was always judged by
          the Roman standard. Modern Italian is considered the closest Romance
          Language descendent of the ancient Latin even counting the archaism of
          Sardininan.
          IOSEPHUS was probably pronounced /"Yo-SEP-hus"/ at first, then later
          IOSEPHE (vocative) "Yo-SE-pe" and variants in Yu-SE-pe and /Yu-SEP-pe/
          then finally /Dju-SEP-pe/ "Giuseppe." PH /p+h/ was originally
          distinguished from PH /f/. Late Latin still had an influence on the
          provinces and took their fashions from Rome until the Latin culture
          gradually was established in provincial cities.
          after the Roman empire, and during Carolus Magnus time, the vain attempt
          to keep Latin was lost and an uphill battle -- something like to trying
          to impose Elizabethan--Shakespearean and Authorized Biblical King James
          English on modern North Americans and peoples of the United Kingdom.

          > > Would not Karls (with a non palatalized k-) be a likely candidate for
          > > Gothic form of Charles/Carl?
          >
          > It sounds more likely to me, but then I don't know the first thing
          > about this subject and I'm just going on sound ;)
          >
          > Ïusteinus

          If not Karls then perharps Kairls?
          I assume that no one has found the cognate word in Gothic.
          It seems to me that given what was said about the origin of the
          name/noun Karl/Ceorl on the others' postings, we have a divergence
          between a palatal and non-palatal k- in protoGermanic.
          What would be the Gothic equivalents of:
          Jarl
          Karl
          Thrall
          Indeed, would this not be imposing a projection of an Icelandic Norse
          social system onto the Goths, whose own social system was may have been
          similar in arrangement but probably different in details and
          terminology.
          Tomas