[gothic-l] thus quoth the raven

  • Christian Petersen
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1 4:43 PM
      the Runic form has vowels inserted between EVERY future consonant cluster so that we get a highly proto-,
      yet attested, form 'harabana'.
      WHERE is that attested?
      This would mean that the originally onomatopoetic "kra-" (with metathesis in Latin 'corax'/'corvus', Greek 'kórax') would've been highly distorted in such an early state.

      'James':

      An interesting explanation, but one I have never heard.
      Well, as I indicated, I am not sure about it - just a spontaneous idea.
      But - again - the question: Where is ' Iacomus' attested?
      Consider this English list:

      brid -> bird
      crul -> curl

      One might add BART Simpson, whose name is, according to his 'inventor' Matthew Groening, a disguised BRAT.