[gothic-l] =?iso-8859-1?Q?Re:_=5Bgothic-l=5D_Gutiska_Nam=F4n

  • jdm314@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 1999
      jdm31-@... wrote:
      original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/gothic-l/?start=710
      > Ja!
      > how about "Jason" and "Hyacinth"? eh?
      > :-) thanks
      > Jay B.

      In any case, Jason is Greek, and would be Ïasôn in Gothic, though I'm
      not sure how it wouldn't be declined. I'm guessing genitive -is. Note
      that in Greek the name is three syllables long, and is so in Latin
      poetry as well. Of course it has that j- in all the modern forms, I
      think, so at some point people started pronouncing it with two
      syllables. When that happened, I'm not sure, but note that Gothic
      regularly spells the initial "consonental" <i> of greek and latin as
      <ï>, even though they have a <j>, so perhapse there was a difference in
      pronunciation? Dunno.
      Anyway, Hyacinth also has some interesting problems. That's also from
      Greek, the name Latinized to Hyacinthus. This looks easy enough to
      Gothicize by one thing bothers: the letter normally used to transcribe
      upsilon is the Gothic <w>, I guess because both letters are shapped
      similarly. So we'd expect it to be spelled Hwakinþus... the problem is
      that in all Greek borrowings I've seen which contain an upsilon/w, the
      vowel is in a position where a [w] sound would be impossible, making it
      obvious how the letter is being used. Here you would be unable to tell
      if the <w> was intended to be used with its Greek or GOthic
      pronunciation.
      Of course, sooner or later Latin speakers were pronouncing the name
      Jacintus, but of course if that name showed up in the bible, I'm sure
      Wulfila would have used the Greek pronunciation.
      Note that the common noun hyacith occurs repeatedly in Exodus, at
      least in the Vulgate version, so presumably Wulfila DID come up with a
      Gothic translation or transliteration of it at some point.

      This is a fun excercize, I have to say. Someone should be keeping
      track of all names that show up on the list, especially in this thread,
      perhps Daweid, Matþaíus or myself could be designated for this purpose.

      -Ïusteinus