Germanic and Rumania was Re: Goths and Getae

    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 4, 2003
      --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, åÇÏÒÏ× ÷ÌÁÄÉÍÉÒ <vegorov@i...> wrote:
      > Hi Dirk!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-
      com:office:office" />

      > Don't you overestimate the time period when
      >

      > "Germanic tribes, especially Goths and Gepids occupied
      > the area of modern Rumania... some 300 years or so"?

      Hi Vladimir,

      possibly, but I simply took the 300 years from Francisc's earlier
      post and he repeated it in his last message. I assumed that it was
      approximately right.

      > Real influence of the Goths in Dacia could not
      > begin before Valentus, i.e. the end of the 4th c.
      > and could not help finishing after Avar invasion
      > in 6th c. Hence, we do not gather even 200 years.

      I would have to check this now, but I was under the impression that
      the first Dacia (i.e. the area of Romania) was given to the Goths at
      an earlier date, I think in 275AD. The Romans then created a second
      Dacia (Dacia Ripense). The Gepidic kingdom, also partly on Romanian
      territory was defeated in about 565AD, which makes about 300 years.
      In addition, the Bavarian mission record the existence of Gepids
      still in the 9th century.

      > Further, the term "occupied" seems to be too
      > pretentious. Visigoths, though having shattered
      > Valentus, seized no towns. There are serious
      > doubts that the Goths (plus the Gepides) really
      > did occupy (!) Dacia and were there real rulers.

      There can be no doubt that Dacia, and other Roman provinces were at
      least in the 5th century under the direct rule of Gepids, and
      Ostrogoths.

      > As opposed to the Romans.

      The Gepidic rule over the region, under a succession of kings lasted
      from at least 454 to 565, but Gepids had lived their for much longer

      Cheers
      Dirk

      > Vladimir

      The
      > Romans had occupied the area only from about 106AD to 276AD. Yet,
      > they had apparently a much more profound impact on the population.
      In

      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 4, 2003
        Hi Francisc,

        thanks a lot for this very detailed and clear overview. Indeed, I
        don't think this is off topic, since it gives us an idea about the
        nature of Gothic and Gepidic influence in those regions. From your
        presentation, the migrationist view seems somewhat stronger to me. In
        fact, perhaps a combination of both theories might be closest to the
        truth. Maybe some small groups of Daco-Romans remained in the area,
        who were later supplemented by Romanic people from south of the
        Danube.

        Again, thanks for answering this for me.
        Dirk

        --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "Francisc Czobor" <fericzobor@y...>
        wrote:
        > Hi, Dirk,
        >
        > Again off-topic, sorry.
        > This is indeed the very big problem of Romanian history.
        > In fact, there are two theories:
        >
        > 1. The "Continuity" theory.
        > Claims that after 271 AD, when the Roman legions and administration
        > left Dacia, a numerous Daco-Romanian population remained in place
        and
        > endured the passage and rule of various migrating peoples (Goths,
        > Huns, Gepids, Avars, Slavs, Bulgars, Magyars, Pechenegs, Cumans,
        > Tatars), eventually assimilating those settled among them, and
        > finally giving birth to the Romanian nation.
        > Arguments: being a province of strategic importance, Dacia was
        > strongly colonized by Romans, explaining thus the complete
        > romanization of Daco-Getae during the approx. 170 years of Roman
        > rule. The archeological findings attest a very strong Roman
        presence
        > in Roman Dacia and there are indications of Roman presence even
        some
        > centuries after (e.g. the votive object of the 4th century with the
        > Latin inscription EGO ZENOVIUS VOTUM POSUI, or the testimony of
        > Priscus, Byzantine messenger at the court of Attila, the Hunic
        king,
        > who writes that north of Danube he found many "Romans" speaking
        > Latin).
        > Despite the passage of so many migrating peoples, the population of
        > Romania is majoritary Romanian, suggesting thus that there was in
        > place a numerous Romance population, that assimilated the
        numerically
        > much smaller foreign rulers/settlers. Among these, the most
        numerous
        > were the Slavs, who left many words in the Romanian language, as
        well
        > as many personal and geographical names in Romania. There are also
        > some family names and fairly numerous geographical names of
        Pechenego-
        > Cuman (Turkic) origin.
        >
        > 2. The "Immigrationist" theory
        > Claims that after 271 AD, the whole population of Dacia left this
        > province, together with the Roman armies and administration, and
        the
        > migrating peoples found here an empty land. According to this
        theory,
        > the Romanian people formed somewhere south of Danube, and begun to
        > immigrate on its today territory after the 10th century.
        > Arguments: 170 years of Roman rule were not sufficient for a
        thorough
        > romanization of the Daco-Getae. According to some ancient authors
        (I
        > can't remember now who), after the war of 105-106 the whole Daco-
        > Getian population was exterminated. Thus, this theory concludes
        that
        > the population of Roman Dacia was composed exclusively of Roman
        > colonists, who all left the province together with the army and
        > administration, leaving it unpopulated.
        > When the Romans left Dacia, two provinces named "Dacia" were
        created
        > south of Danube (Dacia Ripensis and Dacia ... I don't remember
        how),
        > suggesting that there was relocated the population of the former
        > Roman province.
        > The period of the 4th-10th centuries in Dacia represents an
        > archeological "black hole". The migrating peoples left many traces
        > (cemeteries, hoards), but no Daco-Roman cemetery was found, nor
        other
        > convincing traces of the presence of a massive romanized population.
        > The Romanian geographical names in Romania are mostly recent. The
        > older ones are mostly Slavic, Turkic (Pechenego-Cuman or Old
        Bulgar)
        > and, in Transylvania, also Hungarian (Magyar). Only the names of
        the
        > major rivers seem to date from Daco-Getic / Daco-Roman times, but
        > their phonetic shape strongly suggest a Slavic intermediate.
        > There is a number of non-Latin words in Romanian similar to
        Albanian
        > words. For the "Immigrationist" theory, this is an argument that
        the
        > Romanian people was formed in south of Danube, somewhere in the
        > vicinity of the ancestors of the Albanians (the "Continuity" theory
        > argues in this case that these words are from the Daco-Getic, i.e.
        > Thracic substratum, being thus similar with Albanian, a language of
        > Thraco-Illyric origin; the fact that they are substratum words is
        > suggested by the fact that most of them are related to the local
        > flora & fauna or to very old traditional activities like sheep
        > breeding).
        > Goths and Gepids ruled together more than 3 centuries over Dacia,
        > about twice so long as the Romans. But their traces in the Romanian
        > language are very few and discutable. This would indicate that in
        > this period (4th-6th centuries) the ancestors of the Romanians were
        > not in Dacia, but somewhere else (this is indeed a very strong
        > argument of the "Immigrationist" theory, and very diffcult to be
        > fought by the adepts of "Continuity").
        > The strongest adstratum of the Romanian language is Slavic. But
        this
        > could be obtained both north and south of Danube.
        > Another argument is the presence of Romanian population in the
        Balkan

        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 4, 2003
          Hi, Dirk,

          --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "faltin2001" <dirk@s...> wrote:
          > Hi Francisc,
          >
          > thanks a lot for this very detailed and clear overview. Indeed, I
          > don't think this is off topic, since it gives us an idea about the
          > nature of Gothic and Gepidic influence in those regions. From your
          > presentation, the migrationist view seems somewhat stronger to me.
          In
          > fact, perhaps a combination of both theories might be closest to
          the
          > truth. Maybe some small groups of Daco-Romans remained in the area,
          > who were later supplemented by Romanic people from south of the
          > Danube.

          Very interesting, I have the same point of view like you. Probably
          this is would be the conclusion of an objective observer.
          What is relevant for this Gothic list, the East-Germanic (Gothic &
          Gepidic) presence in Dacia is documentary and archeologically well
          attested for the 4-6th centuries (including such precious gold hoards
          like the Gothic one from Pietroasa and the Gepidic one from
          Szilagysomlyo / Simleul Silvaniei). But the linguistic traces are
          very scarce (compared for instance with Italy, South France,and
          Spain, where there is a significant number of words of Gothic
          origin), fact which is variously interpreted in the different
          theories.

          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 4, 2003
            wrote:
            > Hi, Dirk,
            >
            > --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "faltin2001" <dirk@s...> wrote:
            > > Hi Francisc,
            > >
            > > thanks a lot for this very detailed and clear overview. Indeed, I
            > > don't think this is off topic, since it gives us an idea about
            the
            > > nature of Gothic and Gepidic influence in those regions. From
            your
            > > presentation, the migrationist view seems somewhat stronger to
            me.
            > In
            > > fact, perhaps a combination of both theories might be closest to
            > the
            > > truth. Maybe some small groups of Daco-Romans remained in the
            area,
            > > who were later supplemented by Romanic people from south of the
            > > Danube.
            > >

            > Very interesting, I have the same point of view like you. Probably
            > this is would be the conclusion of an objective observer.
            > What is relevant for this Gothic list, the East-Germanic (Gothic &
            > Gepidic) presence in Dacia is documentary and archeologically well
            > attested for the 4-6th centuries (including such precious gold
            hoards
            > like the Gothic one from Pietroasa and the Gepidic one from
            > Szilagysomlyo / Simleul Silvaniei). But the linguistic traces are
            > very scarce (compared for instance with Italy, South France,and
            > Spain, where there is a significant number of words of Gothic
            > origin), fact which is variously interpreted in the different
            > theories.
            >
            > Francisc

            Yet, even in Italy, Southern France and even Spain the linguistic
            influence was marginal at best. The Visigothic kingdom in Spain
            lasted some 200 years from about 507-711, but admittingly, for most
            of the time the Visigoths had likely adopted Latin/Romance. The
            Visigothic kingdom in southern Gaul lasted from 418-507, ie. almost
            100 years, while the Ostrogothic kingdom in Italy had a life-span of
            some 70 years at most. Clearly, in none of the cases did the Goths
            afford a language shift. Instead they probably veered towards Latin,
            at least in some cases already prior to their settlements. Latin,
            after all was the language of the Roman army, and both Visigoths and
            Ostrogoths were essentially Roman federate armies. Upon their
            settlement, they utilised the existing Roman administration, which
            was of course based on Latin. So it is probably not surprising that
            the the linguistic input of Gothic in any of these regions is small.

            cheers
            Dirk
          • draket222
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 4, 2004
              Isn't it possible to have Dacian tribes taking over the Nordic people
              at different times.Since Thracians were so aggressive and culturaly
              advanced, this theory would make sense.

              Mike
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 19, 2004
                --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "draket222" <draket222@y...> wrote:
                > Isn't it possible to have Dacian tribes taking over the Nordic
                people
                > at different times.Since Thracians were so aggressive and culturaly
                > advanced, this theory would make sense.
                >
                > Mike

                Hi Mike,

                this is not a theory but speculation, unless you have any evidence.
                All we know about Thracians and Dacians is that they were conquered
                by the Romans in the 2nd century AD, and that they vanished as
                independend ethnic identities shortly thereafter.

                Cheers