[gothic-l] Re: Arianism

  • Tore Gannholm
    Message 1 of 28 , Jul 3, 2003

      >Tore,
      >
      >nice collection. I had a brief look, however, some comments at the
      >end where somebody talks of Arianism in Vaestegoetaland in 500AD can
      >hardly be taken seriously. But I think we had this debate before.
      >
      >Dirk

      Dirk,
      Yes we have discussed this before and I know that you don't have very
      high thoughts about Swedish archaeology. Fortunately there are others
      on this list who can read Scandinavian and are better acquainted with
      this important area.

      Admittedly sometimes archaeologists over-interpret their findings.
      However I think Gotland and some parts of Sweden have a much richer
      early iron age history than you would like to admit.
      Tore

      Message 2 of 28 , Jul 3, 2003
        --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, Tore Gannholm <tore.gannholm@s...>
        wrote:

        > >Tore,
        > >
        > >nice collection. I had a brief look, however, some comments at the
        > >end where somebody talks of Arianism in Vaestegoetaland in 500AD
        can
        > >hardly be taken seriously. But I think we had this debate before.
        > >
        > >Dirk
        > >

        > Dirk,
        > Yes we have discussed this before and I know that you don't have
        very
        > high thoughts about Swedish archaeology. Fortunately there are
        others
        > on this list who can read Scandinavian and are better acquainted
        with
        > this important area.
        >
        > Admittedly sometimes archaeologists over-interpret their findings.
        > However I think Gotland and some parts of Sweden have a much richer
        > early iron age history than you would like to admit.
        > Tore

        Tore

        I never denied that Gotland and Sweden have a rich early iron age
        history. Yet, about the early iron age history of Gotland and Sweden
        we know practically nothing. The early iron age starts in those areas
        in around 500BC, and no historical sources are available to shed
        light on historical events there at that early time.

        About Arianism, I have not seen any evidence for the presence of
        Arianism in 6th century Sweden. Since you read Swedish, I would like
        to ask you to present this evidence.

        I suppose the first step would be to demonstrate that there were
        Christian grave yards in Sweden in 500AD and the second step would be
        to show that these were Arian Christians. If any grave with
        tentatively Christian lay-out dated to post 550AD it would -following
        Brigit Arrhenius- be better regarded as Catholic, since Scandinavian
        contacts shifted toward the Frankish realm at that point.
        Alternatively, 6th century authors like Procopius, who took a great
        interest in Thule, would surely have reported the presence of
        Christians, even if they were Arians there. Yet, it is clear that he
        regarded them as pagans.

        Dirk

        > --
      • Hieromonk Maximos
        Message 3 of 28 , Jul 3, 2003
          >--- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, Hieromonk Maximos <frmaximos@m...>
          >
          >Hi again Maximos,
          >
          >I have read your text carefully and I also re-read mine. I see that we
          >both are a little unclear and so I must make a more clear definition
          >of filioque. It is true the 'que' is of Western origin mostly as the
          >original text proposed in Constantinople in 382. The decision however
          >was to exclude that 'que' and replace it with "The Father through the
          >son and the spirit". The Westerners later, as you say, replaced the
          >original meaning with the earlier proposed " The Father and -que- the
          >son through the spirit. I am sorry I misunderstood that part in your
          >writing.
          >
          >My best wishes
          >Ingemar

          True, I think we were perhaps a little less precise then we could
          have been. I should have said, that the filoque was introduced into
          Western usage in Spain at a council held in Toledo.

          The Eastern Church has never adopted the filoque and the form we use
          is the" Holy Spirit proceedeth from the Father "( only) the so-called
          " double procession" that is the proposed ontological procession, is
          specifically condemned as heresy by the Eastern Church ( this is
          clearly defined by St.Photios of Constantinople) The later idea of
          the reference to the temporal procession of the Holy Spirit from the
          Son ( as at Pentecost) is of course correct, but this is not what the
          Creed is referring to at that point in the text.

          I hope that is clearer, though theology is by its nature always a bit fuzzy.

        • Ingemar Nordgren
          Message 4 of 28 , Jul 3, 2003
            --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, Hieromonk Maximos <frmaximos@m...> wrote:
            > >--- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, Hieromonk Maximos <frmaximos@m...>
            Hi Maximos,

            Thank you very much for your information. It is good to get
            information of a really professional expert on religious matters.

            My very best greetings
            Ingemar

            > True, I think we were perhaps a little less precise then we could
            > have been. I should have said, that the filoque was introduced into
            > Western usage in Spain at a council held in Toledo.
            >
            > The Eastern Church has never adopted the filoque and the form we use
            > is the" Holy Spirit proceedeth from the Father "( only) the so-called
            > " double procession" that is the proposed ontological procession, is
            > specifically condemned as heresy by the Eastern Church ( this is
            > clearly defined by St.Photios of Constantinople) The later idea of
            > the reference to the temporal procession of the Holy Spirit from the
            > Son ( as at Pentecost) is of course correct, but this is not what the
            > Creed is referring to at that point in the text.
            >
            > I hope that is clearer, though theology is by its nature always a
            bit fuzzy.
            > --

          • Tore Gannholm
            Message 5 of 28 , Jul 5, 2003

              >Tore
              >
              >I never denied that Gotland and Sweden have a rich early iron age
              >history. Yet, about the early iron age history of Gotland and Sweden
              >we know practically nothing. The early iron age starts in those areas
              >in around 500BC, and no historical sources are available to shed
              >light on historical events there at that early time.

              Dirk,
              We know plenty from the archaeological point of view.

              Take the Havor ring for example
              http://www.stavgard.com/Gotland/beowulf_/halsring/default.htm

              They were very skilled metal workers and there is plenty made in both
              gold and silver. The closet from where they could have learned that
              is the Goths at the Black Sea.

              In Gotland we have about 1500 buildings from Roman Iron Age, the
              largest is 67x11 meters. There are plenty of houses from that time
              that surpasses 60 meters.

              se also http://www.stavgard.com/Gotland/zentrum_/thule/default.htm
              Anmerkung 11.

              >About Arianism, I have not seen any evidence for the presence of
              >Arianism in 6th century Sweden. Since you read Swedish, I would like
              >to ask you to present this evidence.

              There were very close trading links with the Goths, also when they
              were in Italy. The archaeological finds show that.

              >I suppose the first step would be to demonstrate that there were
              >Christian grave yards in Sweden in 500AD and the second step would be
              >to show that these were Arian Christians. If any grave with
              >tentatively Christian lay-out dated to post 550AD it would -following
              >Brigit Arrhenius- be better regarded as Catholic, since Scandinavian
              >contacts shifted toward the Frankish realm at that point.
              >Alternatively, 6th century authors like Procopius, who took a great
              >interest in Thule, would surely have reported the presence of
              >Christians, even if they were Arians there.

              Procopius only had knowledge of the Eruls.

              Tore

              Message 6 of 28 , Jul 7, 2003
                wrote:

                > >Tore
                > >
                > >I never denied that Gotland and Sweden have a rich early iron age
                > >history. Yet, about the early iron age history of Gotland and
                Sweden
                > >we know practically nothing. The early iron age starts in those
                areas
                > >in around 500BC, and no historical sources are available to shed
                > >light on historical events there at that early time.
                >
                > Dirk,
                > We know plenty from the archaeological point of view.

                Tore,

                you just wrongly accused me of denying that Sweden and Gotland have a
                rich early iron age history. Now you come with archaeology. History
                is about names and events and history starts with written records. I
                retain my view that we know next to nothing about early iron age
                (500BC) history in Scandinavia.

                > Take the Havor ring for example
                > http://www.stavgard.com/Gotland/beowulf_/halsring/default.htm
                >
                > They were very skilled metal workers and there is plenty made in
                both
                > gold and silver. The closet from where they could have learned that
                > is the Goths at the Black Sea.

                Now you jumped some 600-700 years foreward. So far you refered to
                the 'rich early iron age history of Gotland and Sweden', but the
                Havor ring dates to about 100AD, while the Roman bronze dishes and
                objects which were found together with the Havor ring and which come
                from Italy, date to about 200AD.

                At any rate this only tells you something about trade links from
                Gotland to Italy and perhaps the Black Sea region. This does not tell
                you anything about history.

                > In Gotland we have about 1500 buildings from Roman Iron Age, the
                > largest is 67x11 meters. There are plenty of houses from that time
                > that surpasses 60 meters.

                Again, that is all very well, but this is not history. History begins
                with written records. There clearly was a rich culture on Gotland,
                but about its history we are almost not informed.

                > se also http://www.stavgard.com/Gotland/zentrum_/thule/default.htm
                > Anmerkung 11.
                >

                > >About Arianism, I have not seen any evidence for the presence of
                > >Arianism in 6th century Sweden. Since you read Swedish, I would
                like
                > >to ask you to present this evidence.
                >
                > There were very close trading links with the Goths, also when they
                > were in Italy. The archaeological finds show that.

                These trading links were between Gotland and Italy or the
                Mediterranean. We have no real record of the Ostrogoths engaging in
                trade at all. The Ostrogoths and other Germanic people who came to
                Italy in the 470s onwards were anything but professional traders. If
                anything, trade was conducted by the Romans, and they were
                Catholics.

                > >I suppose the first step would be to demonstrate that there were
                > >Christian grave yards in Sweden in 500AD and the second step would
                be
                > >to show that these were Arian Christians. If any grave with
                > >tentatively Christian lay-out dated to post 550AD it would -
                following
                > >Brigit Arrhenius- be better regarded as Catholic, since
                Scandinavian
                > >contacts shifted toward the Frankish realm at that point.
                > >Alternatively, 6th century authors like Procopius, who took a great
                > >interest in Thule, would surely have reported the presence of
                > >Christians, even if they were Arians there.
                >

                > Procopius only had knowledge of the Eruls.

                Well, he provides a lengthy description of the people in Thule
                (Scandinavia), about their habits, names, living areas etc. If any of
                them would have been Christians of any form or shape, he would have
                let his readers know.

                From your reply, I must conclude that despite reading the
                Scandinavian sources in original, you have no evidence for Arianism
                in 500AD in Scandinavia.

                Dirk
              • Tore Gannholm
                Message 7 of 28 , Jul 7, 2003

                  >> >I suppose the first step would be to demonstrate that there were
                  >> >Christian grave yards in Sweden in 500AD and the second step would
                  >be
                  >> >to show that these were Arian Christians. If any grave with
                  >> >tentatively Christian lay-out dated to post 550AD it would -
                  >following
                  >> >Brigit Arrhenius- be better regarded as Catholic, since
                  >Scandinavian
                  >> >contacts shifted toward the Frankish realm at that point.
                  >> >Alternatively, 6th century authors like Procopius, who took a great
                  >> >interest in Thule, would surely have reported the presence of
                  >> >Christians, even if they were Arians there.
                  >>

                  >> Procopius only had knowledge of the Eruls.
                  >

                  >Well, he provides a lengthy description of the people in Thule
                  >(Scandinavia), about their habits, names, living areas etc. If any of
                  >them would have been Christians of any form or shape, he would have
                  >let his readers know.
                  >
                  >From your reply, I must conclude that despite reading the
                  >Scandinavian sources in original, you have no evidence for Arianism
                  >in 500AD in Scandinavia.
                  >
                  >Dirk

                  Dirk,
                  I have not promoted the idea of Arianism in Scandinavia. I only said
                  that certain archaeologists have detected traces of it.

                  This makes it interesting to continue the study of these traces.

                  Tore
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jul 7, 2003
                    wrote:

                    > >be
                    > >following
                    > >Scandinavian
                    > >>

                    > >> Procopius only had knowledge of the Eruls.
                    > >

                    > >Well, he provides a lengthy description of the people in Thule
                    > >(Scandinavia), about their habits, names, living areas etc. If any
                    of
                    > >them would have been Christians of any form or shape, he would have
                    > >let his readers know.
                    > >
                    > >From your reply, I must conclude that despite reading the
                    > >Scandinavian sources in original, you have no evidence for Arianism
                    > >in 500AD in Scandinavia.
                    > >
                    > >Dirk
                    > >

                    > Dirk,
                    > I have not promoted the idea of Arianism in Scandinavia. I only
                    said
                    > that certain archaeologists have detected traces of it.
                    >
                    > This makes it interesting to continue the study of these traces.
                    >
                    > Tore

                    Tore,

                    can you list some of these 'traces of Arianism' in Scandinavia,
                    please.

                    Dirk