[gothic-l] Re: [gothic-l] Gutiska Namôns

  • Jay Bowks
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 30, 1999
      Ja!
      how about "Jason" and "Hyacinth"? eh?
      :-) thanks
      Jay B.
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: jdm314@...
      To: gothic-l@egroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, August 31, 1999 2:59 PM
      Subject: [gothic-l] Gutiska Namôns

      Hails! Just a thought for onomastics- people often seem to come to this
      group asking for information on Gothic names. I was thinking a fun
      activity might be to compile a list of names, not necessarily as they
      would have been used by the Goths, but as would be used by us on the
      list.
      Er, that came out a bit convoluted. What I mean is, a list of common
      names in the modern western world as they would be given in Gothic. A
      whole lot of biblical names are already attested, Greco-Roman names can
      be transliterated and adapted as was done by Wulfila, and Germanic
      names could be calqued over. (Celtic, Slavic and other names will,
      unfortunately, be a bit harder)
      So just to get you guys started, here are some off the top of my head:

      Andy Andraías
      Ardashir Artaksaírksus
      Beth *Aílizabaíþ (declension?)
      Bill *Wiljahilms
      Deric *Þiudareiks
      Emily *Áimilia
      John Ïôhannês [acc. -ên/-ê, gen -is/-ês, dat -ê/-ên]
      Justin *Ïusteinus
      Mary Maria, Marja [acc -an, gen -ins, dat -in]
      Mat Matþaíus
      Moyshe Môsês [gen. -êzis, dat. -êza]
      Netanyahu *Naþanias
      Paul Pawlus
      Sara *Sara
      Vicky *Wiktôria
      Wendy *Wunjafrêda [??]
      Zach Zakarias

      And so on. Any takers or requests?

      Click Here!
      eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/gothic-l
    • jdm314@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 1, 1999
        jdm31-@... wrote:
        original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/gothic-l/?start=710
        > Ja!
        > how about "Jason" and "Hyacinth"? eh?
        > :-) thanks
        > Jay B.

        In any case, Jason is Greek, and would be Ïasôn in Gothic, though I'm
        not sure how it wouldn't be declined. I'm guessing genitive -is. Note
        that in Greek the name is three syllables long, and is so in Latin
        poetry as well. Of course it has that j- in all the modern forms, I
        think, so at some point people started pronouncing it with two
        syllables. When that happened, I'm not sure, but note that Gothic
        regularly spells the initial "consonental" <i> of greek and latin as
        <ï>, even though they have a <j>, so perhapse there was a difference in
        pronunciation? Dunno.
        Anyway, Hyacinth also has some interesting problems. That's also from
        Greek, the name Latinized to Hyacinthus. This looks easy enough to
        Gothicize by one thing bothers: the letter normally used to transcribe
        upsilon is the Gothic <w>, I guess because both letters are shapped
        similarly. So we'd expect it to be spelled Hwakinþus... the problem is
        that in all Greek borrowings I've seen which contain an upsilon/w, the
        vowel is in a position where a [w] sound would be impossible, making it
        obvious how the letter is being used. Here you would be unable to tell
        if the <w> was intended to be used with its Greek or GOthic
        pronunciation.
        Of course, sooner or later Latin speakers were pronouncing the name
        Jacintus, but of course if that name showed up in the bible, I'm sure
        Wulfila would have used the Greek pronunciation.
        Note that the common noun hyacith occurs repeatedly in Exodus, at
        least in the Vulgate version, so presumably Wulfila DID come up with a
        Gothic translation or transliteration of it at some point.

        This is a fun excercize, I have to say. Someone should be keeping
        track of all names that show up on the list, especially in this thread,
        perhps Daweid, Matþaíus or myself could be designated for this purpose.

        -Ïusteinus