Re: Virus alert - jdbgmgr.exe

    Message 1 of 4 , May 19, 2003
      Ahmet is right - this IS a hoax!
      And this is not the first time it appears.
      Fortunately, jdbgmgr.exe, although a MS-Windows system file, is not
      indispensable for the proper fuctioning of the system (it is for
      recognising files with very long file names, if I remember correctly).
      Francisc

      --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, Sahin Ahmet <ahmetsahinn@y...> wrote:
      > This can be hoax be carefull
      >
      > Ingemar Nordgren <ingemar@n...> wrote:Hi everybody-hej alla! This
      message I received from a friend hose
      > computer was infected. I found it also in mine but has deleted it
      > according to the instructions below. It was successful.
      >
      > Best wishes/Hälsningar
      > Ingemar
      >
      > Unfortunately, a colleague passed along a virus to me. My address
      book WAS
      > infected.
      > Since you are in my address book, there is a good chance you will
      find it
      > in
      > your computer. The virus,called jdbgmgr.exe, is not detected by
      Norton or
      > McAfee anti virus systems. The virus sits quietly for 14 days before
      > damaging the system. It is sent automatically by messenger and by
      the
      > address book, whether or not you sent e-mail to your contacts.
      > Here's how to check for the virus and how to get rid of it:
      > YOU MUST DO THIS.
      > 1. Go to start, Find or Search option.
      > 2. In the file folder option, type the name
      > jdbgmgr.exe
      > 3. Be sure you search your C: drive and all sub folders
      > and any other drives you may have.
      > 4. Click "find now"
      > 5. The Virus has a Teddy Bear icon with the name jdbgmgr.exe DO NOT
      OPEN
      > IT!
      > ! ! !
      > 6. Go to Edit (on the menu bar) and choose "select all" to
      highlight the
      > file without opening it.
      > 7. Now go to File (on the menu bar) and select delete.
      > It will then go to the Recycle Bin (you can also do this by right
      clicking
      > on the icon, but again, DO NOT open the file).
      > 8. IF YOU FIND THE VIRUS YOU MUST CONTACT ALL THE PEOPLE IN YOUR
      ADDRESS
      > BOOK, SO THEY CAN ERADICATE IT IN THEIR OWN ADDRESS BOOKS.
      > To Do This:
      > a) Open a new e-mail message
      > b) Click the icon of the address book next to the "TO"
      > c) Highlight every name and add to "BCC" (which means
      > blind copy)
      > d) Copy this message and paste it to a new
      > e-mail.
      > Sorry for the headache
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
      > You are a member of the Gothic-L list. To unsubscribe, send a
      blank email to <gothic-l-unsubscribe@egroups.com>.

      Service.