Re: New to list. Instruments

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 15, 2003
      --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "spnknffork" <Spnknffork@a...> wrote:
      > Hello, I was doing a search on musical instruments of the Visigoths
      > and found this list, I'm very happy that I did. I'm in the Society
      > for Creative Anachronisms and my area of reenacting is the era of
      the
      > Visigoths in Spain. I look forward to many great discussions about
      > the aspects of life of the Visigoths as well as other early
      Germanic
      > peoples in history.
      >
      > Thank you,
      > jen

      Hi Jen,

      I am not aware of finds of musical instruments asscociated with the
      Visigoths of Spain. Yet, it is of course possible to look at
      contemporary finds from other regions. For example, the Anglo-Saxon
      grave of Sutton Hoo contained a lyre, so did the so
      called 'Saengergrab' (e.g. grave of the singer') in the cemetary of
      Oberflacht in South Germany. Both graves are dated to about 610AD and
      are thus contemporary with the high-point of Visigothic power in
      Spain. W. Menghin wrote about the Saengergrab that the grave goods of
      the young warrior, including riding equipment, lance, sword in one
      hand and lyre in the other might indicate that the medieval ideal of
      the 'singing knight' might have had its roots in those times. Btw,
      the lyre of the warrior/singer of Oberflacht had six strings. I think
      it is possible to postulate that the lyre was regarded as something
      of a noble instrument, used to accompany the singing or reciting of
      heroic balads etc. Other instruments will likely have included
      various percussion instruments and flutes.

      cheers