[gothic-l] Gothic Dictionary

  • M. Edward Carver
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 26, 1998
      About my MnE-Gothic dictionary (response to Eric's offline question) I
      haven't had much time to work on it recently....
      I've been working on my MnE-OE dictionary most recently. My first
      version (@9000 entries) is online, a second in the works. It's at:

      http://www.csulb.edu/~mcarver/oedbindex.html

      I'm attempting to reassemble my Gothic Pages files (some might be
      familiar with these) and revamp them for upload, but it could take a
      while before I get them totally ready.

      In the meantime, I wonder what would be the best way to get a total
      Gothic vocabulary. I think if we get the glossaries from books covering
      the entirety of the Gothic literary corpus, that would be great. Not
      sure about the legality. I've got the money to buy them, I just don't
      know where to get them. If anyone has an idea, out with it!

      --Matt

      BTW it would be nice to find a way to get rid of those annoying little
      ads at the bottom of the page, but i guess that's what you get when it's
      free.
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 9 6:18 PM
        Hi!

        My name's Robert Orr. Actually, I'm a Slavist with a sort of amateur
        interest in Gothic. I'm writing a paper on Slavic etymologies, working
        with a fairly tight deadline, and I find I need to ask a question in
        rather a hurry.

        I would very much appreciate it if someone could give me the
        etymolog(ies) of Gothic anaks - suddenly. Is it a compound of "ana"
        and the root of ak - "drive" (not sure if attested in Gothic, I do know
        Old Icelandic aka).

        Thanks very much in advance,

        Robert Orr
      • Alex Loepp
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 9 11:22 PM
          Hi Robert,
          According to "A Gothic Etymological Dictionary" 'anaks' is a compound of
          'ana' (prep) + 'k' (as in ajukduths,ibuks) + 's' (comparative suffix). See
          the listing for A144 in the above cited work.
          "Gotisches Woerterbuch" by Koebler lists *akan (meaning 'drive' or 'pull')
          as a conjectured verb in Gothic, but does not relate it to 'anaks'
          Hope this helps!

          Alex Loepp

          eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/gothic-l