Re: vaerul

  • Ingemar Nordgren
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 31, 2003
      Hi again, Valúlfr,

      I saw my answer was incomplete. It seems the words vargr and warg
      could derive of wahren, wehren as earlier suggested and from värja.
      Warg with 'W' I did however never see since in Nordic we use 'v'.

      -- And, am I correct in
      > assuming that the standard interpretation of the prefix (var-) is the
      > same as "vargr" / "warg", and finally to "were"-wolf.
      >
      > Saell!
      > Valulfr
    • Ingemar Nordgren
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 31, 2003
        Dear Valúlfr,

        This begins to be a nuseance. I checked Hellquist etymological
        Wordbook just to find only the meanings of vargr as thief, killer,
        ulv(wolf) and similar. Nothing is mentioned about the
        defence-connection so i dare not say what really is true now longer.
        'Var' in swedish in any case means protect and guard. Maybe this
        connection is very, very old.

        Hope you get better help!
        Best
        Ingemar
      • AElfric and Ursula
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 31, 2003
          Hails!

          Just a quick reminder that list topics should be kept relevant to Gothic studies. Thanks!

          Albareiks
          Moderator, Gothic-L

          This begins to be a nuseance. I checked Hellquist etymological
          Wordbook just to find only the meanings of vargr as thief, killer,
          ulv(wolf) and similar. Nothing is mentioned about the
          defence-connection so i dare not say what really is true now longer.
          'Var' in swedish in any case means protect and guard. Maybe this
          connection is very, very old.

          Hope you get better help!
          Best
          Ingemar

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          Message 4 of 6 , May 2, 2003
            --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "hrafnsnest" <wulfsligrs@c...> wrote:
            > Hails Alls!
            >
            > This posting is following the vein that was tapped by Bertil
            > sometime ago regarding possible the Erulic homeland. The question
            > have is regarding the word "vaerul" or "varulv". Does anyone know
            > when and where the earliest attested usage of the word was, whether
            > carved on stone, or printed on paper? I was recently told that it
            > was in the northern regions of Denmark. And, am I correct in
            > assuming that the standard interpretation of the prefix (var-) is
            the
            > same as "vargr" / "warg", and finally to "were"-wolf.
            >
            > Saell!
            > Valulfr

            Hi,

            perhaps one last thought. German Werwolf, English werewolf has
            nothing to do with earlier mentioned connotations of 'vargr - thief'
            or 'var - guard'. 'Wer' is Old High German and means 'man'. Hence, a
            Werwolf is a man-wolf, a mixture of man and wolf. I don't know
            whether this applies at all to the names which you seek to explain,
            though. At any rate, Heruls have nothing to do with that.

            cheers