Re: vaerul

  • Ingemar Nordgren
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 31, 2003
      Hi Valúlfr,

      The prefix 'var-' means 'guard, to guard, to defend' like in German
      wehren, Swedish värja. Simplified you could consider a wolf a kind of
      "wild dog" and so call him a guard-dog. It has nothing with English
      'war' to do unless there may be an original meaning of defence in that
      word, which of course is possible. In any case the meaning here is
      defensive - not offensive.This you could also find of the
      Riga-protocol we spoke of earlier.

      Best
      Ingemar

      --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "hrafnsnest" <wulfsligrs@c...> wrote:
      > Hails Alls!
      And, am I correct in
      > assuming that the standard interpretation of the prefix (var-) is the
      > same as "vargr" / "warg", and finally to "were"-wolf.
    • Ingemar Nordgren
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 31, 2003
        Hi again, Valúlfr,

        I saw my answer was incomplete. It seems the words vargr and warg
        could derive of wahren, wehren as earlier suggested and from värja.
        Warg with 'W' I did however never see since in Nordic we use 'v'.

        -- And, am I correct in
        > assuming that the standard interpretation of the prefix (var-) is the
        > same as "vargr" / "warg", and finally to "were"-wolf.
        >
        > Saell!
        > Valulfr
      • Ingemar Nordgren
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 31, 2003
          Dear Valúlfr,

          This begins to be a nuseance. I checked Hellquist etymological
          Wordbook just to find only the meanings of vargr as thief, killer,
          ulv(wolf) and similar. Nothing is mentioned about the
          defence-connection so i dare not say what really is true now longer.
          'Var' in swedish in any case means protect and guard. Maybe this
          connection is very, very old.

          Hope you get better help!
          Best
          Ingemar
        • AElfric and Ursula
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 31, 2003
            Hails!

            Just a quick reminder that list topics should be kept relevant to Gothic studies. Thanks!

            Albareiks
            Moderator, Gothic-L

            This begins to be a nuseance. I checked Hellquist etymological
            Wordbook just to find only the meanings of vargr as thief, killer,
            ulv(wolf) and similar. Nothing is mentioned about the
            defence-connection so i dare not say what really is true now longer.
            'Var' in swedish in any case means protect and guard. Maybe this
            connection is very, very old.

            Hope you get better help!
            Best
            Ingemar

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Message 5 of 6 , May 2, 2003
              --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "hrafnsnest" <wulfsligrs@c...> wrote:
              > Hails Alls!
              >
              > This posting is following the vein that was tapped by Bertil
              > sometime ago regarding possible the Erulic homeland. The question
              > have is regarding the word "vaerul" or "varulv". Does anyone know
              > when and where the earliest attested usage of the word was, whether
              > carved on stone, or printed on paper? I was recently told that it
              > was in the northern regions of Denmark. And, am I correct in
              > assuming that the standard interpretation of the prefix (var-) is
              the
              > same as "vargr" / "warg", and finally to "were"-wolf.
              >
              > Saell!
              > Valulfr

              Hi,

              perhaps one last thought. German Werwolf, English werewolf has
              nothing to do with earlier mentioned connotations of 'vargr - thief'
              or 'var - guard'. 'Wer' is Old High German and means 'man'. Hence, a
              Werwolf is a man-wolf, a mixture of man and wolf. I don't know
              whether this applies at all to the names which you seek to explain,
              though. At any rate, Heruls have nothing to do with that.

              cheers