vaerul

  • hrafnsnest
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 31, 2003
      Hails Alls!

      This posting is following the vein that was tapped by Bertil
      sometime ago regarding possible the Erulic homeland. The question I
      have is regarding the word "vaerul" or "varulv". Does anyone know
      when and where the earliest attested usage of the word was, whether
      carved on stone, or printed on paper? I was recently told that it
      was in the northern regions of Denmark. And, am I correct in
      assuming that the standard interpretation of the prefix (var-) is the
      same as "vargr" / "warg", and finally to "were"-wolf.

      Saell!
      Valulfr
    • Ingemar Nordgren
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 31, 2003
        Hi Valúlfr,

        The prefix 'var-' means 'guard, to guard, to defend' like in German
        wehren, Swedish värja. Simplified you could consider a wolf a kind of
        "wild dog" and so call him a guard-dog. It has nothing with English
        'war' to do unless there may be an original meaning of defence in that
        word, which of course is possible. In any case the meaning here is
        defensive - not offensive.This you could also find of the
        Riga-protocol we spoke of earlier.

        Best
        Ingemar

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 31, 2003
          Hi again, Valúlfr,

          I saw my answer was incomplete. It seems the words vargr and warg
          could derive of wahren, wehren as earlier suggested and from värja.
          Warg with 'W' I did however never see since in Nordic we use 'v'.

          -- And, am I correct in
          > assuming that the standard interpretation of the prefix (var-) is the
          > same as "vargr" / "warg", and finally to "were"-wolf.
          >
          > Saell!
          > Valulfr
        • Ingemar Nordgren
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 31, 2003
            Dear Valúlfr,

            This begins to be a nuseance. I checked Hellquist etymological
            Wordbook just to find only the meanings of vargr as thief, killer,
            ulv(wolf) and similar. Nothing is mentioned about the
            defence-connection so i dare not say what really is true now longer.
            'Var' in swedish in any case means protect and guard. Maybe this
            connection is very, very old.

            Hope you get better help!
            Best
            Ingemar
          • AElfric and Ursula
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 31, 2003
              Hails!

              Just a quick reminder that list topics should be kept relevant to Gothic studies. Thanks!

              Albareiks
              Moderator, Gothic-L

              This begins to be a nuseance. I checked Hellquist etymological
              Wordbook just to find only the meanings of vargr as thief, killer,
              ulv(wolf) and similar. Nothing is mentioned about the
              defence-connection so i dare not say what really is true now longer.
              'Var' in swedish in any case means protect and guard. Maybe this
              connection is very, very old.

              Hope you get better help!
              Best
              Ingemar

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              Message 6 of 6 , May 2, 2003
                --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "hrafnsnest" <wulfsligrs@c...> wrote:
                > Hails Alls!
                >
                > This posting is following the vein that was tapped by Bertil
                > sometime ago regarding possible the Erulic homeland. The question
                > have is regarding the word "vaerul" or "varulv". Does anyone know
                > when and where the earliest attested usage of the word was, whether
                > carved on stone, or printed on paper? I was recently told that it
                > was in the northern regions of Denmark. And, am I correct in
                > assuming that the standard interpretation of the prefix (var-) is
                the
                > same as "vargr" / "warg", and finally to "were"-wolf.
                >
                > Saell!
                > Valulfr

                Hi,

                perhaps one last thought. German Werwolf, English werewolf has
                nothing to do with earlier mentioned connotations of 'vargr - thief'
                or 'var - guard'. 'Wer' is Old High German and means 'man'. Hence, a
                Werwolf is a man-wolf, a mixture of man and wolf. I don't know
                whether this applies at all to the names which you seek to explain,
                though. At any rate, Heruls have nothing to do with that.

                cheers