Re: [gothic-l] introduction and a question

  • Grsartor@aol.com
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 21, 2003
      Sorry for the tardy response.

      I suggest for a translation of "Fire of life, make holy this place and keep
      out all evil":

      "Fon þizos libainais, weihais þana staþ warjaizuh all þata ubil."

      Perhaps "hina" would be a better choice for "this" than "þana", which has a
      sense more like "the" or "that"; on the other hand, I am not sure how free we
      should feel to use forms like "hina", and "himma". The surviving examples of
      their use seem to suggest that they were mainly employed in particular
      phrases, such as "himma daga", on this day.

      Gerry T.

    • greg scaff
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 25, 2003
        Hails,

        My thanks go to Dirk, Vladimir, Oscar, and of course Matthew for your interest and insightful comments re: "balan". I guess another question would be how accurate Procopius was in rendering a foreign word. Oh well. I find it compelling that it means the same in Romania today,or has the same form, as Francisc says, and wonder if their is any possible actual connection between the Romanian form and the possible Gothic?

        cheers,

        Greg

      • OSCAR HERRERA
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 25, 2003
          greg scaff <g_scaff@...> wrote:

          Hails,

          My thanks go to Dirk, Vladimir, Oscar, and of course Matthew for your interest and insightful comments re: "balan". I guess another question would be how accurate Procopius was in rendering a foreign word. Oh well. I find it compelling that it means the same in Romania today,or has the same form, as Francisc says, and wonder if their is any possible actual connection between the Romanian form and the possible Gothic?

          cheers,

          Greg

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          ik naup gaskierjan af samma waurdws. sind---interest(ing),key,paper,minute(s),bath(bathes),color,paint,horse,fox,sex(y)----awiulidon bropar

        • matthew carver
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 26, 2003
            hails greg-

            It may be possible. The horse-riding tribes of the steppes, Scythians
            and Sarmations seem to have loaned a few words to germanic languages in
            general, or perhaps they came through Gothic (s.t. via Celtic, as marah-
            'horse', cf. Green, Language & History...): paida 'leather coat' (< ?
            riding coat), path- 'path (orig. a specific 'Scythian' path?), faths
            'leader' (exhibiting the decimal model of the Persian/Iranian military
            grouping). In Green, p. 81: "the possible presence of Gothic (or Gepid)
            loanwords in Rumanian." (ref.: Bierbrauer [1994], 130. Diculescu [1921],
            420ff. et al.)

            -matthew

            On Tuesday, March 25, 2003, at 04:33 PM, greg scaff wrote:

            > Hails,
            >
            > My thanks go to Dirk, Vladimir, Oscar, and of course Matthew for your
            > interest and insightful comments re: "balan". I guess another question
            > would be how accurate Procopius was in rendering a foreign word. Oh
            > well. I find it compelling that it means the same in Romania today,or
            > has the same form, as Francisc says, and wonder if their is any
            > possible actual connection between the Romanian form and the possible
            > Gothic?
            >
            > cheers,
            >
            > Greg

            > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • greg scaff
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 26, 2003
              Hails Matthew,
              Very interesting-thank you, and thanks for the references.
              cheers,
              Greg
              matthew carver <me@...> wrote:hails greg-

              It may be possible. The horse-riding tribes of the steppes, Scythians
              and Sarmations seem to have loaned a few words to germanic languages in
              general, or perhaps they came through Gothic (s.t. via Celtic, as marah-
              'horse', cf. Green, Language & History...): paida 'leather coat' (< ?
              riding coat), path- 'path (orig. a specific 'Scythian' path?), faths
              'leader' (exhibiting the decimal model of the Persian/Iranian military
              grouping). In Green, p. 81: "the possible presence of Gothic (or Gepid)
              loanwords in Rumanian." (ref.: Bierbrauer [1994], 130. Diculescu [1921],
              420ff. et al.)

              -matthew

              On Tuesday, March 25, 2003, at 04:33 PM, greg scaff wrote:

              > Hails,
              >
              > My thanks go to Dirk, Vladimir, Oscar, and of course Matthew for your
              > interest and insightful comments re: "balan". I guess another question
              > would be how accurate Procopius was in rendering a foreign word. Oh
              > well. I find it compelling that it means the same in Romania today,or
              > has the same form, as Francisc says, and wonder if their is any
              > possible actual connection between the Romanian form and the possible
              > Gothic?
              >
              > cheers,
              >
              > Greg

              > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
              var lrec_target="_top";var lrec_URL = new Array();lrec_URL[1] = "http://rd.yahoo.com/M=246920.2960106.4328965.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=1705297328:HM/A=1508984/R=0/id=flashurl/*http://www.gotomypc.com/u/tr/yh/cpm/grp/300_02F/g22lp?Target=mm/g22lp.tmpl";var link="javascript:LRECopenWindow(1)";var lrec_flashfile = 'http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/1-/flash/expert_city/093002_weather300x250_02f.swf?clickTAG='+link+'';var lrec_altURL = "http://rd.yahoo.com/M=246920.2960106.4328965.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=1705297328:HM/A=1508984/R=1/id=altimgurl/*http://www.gotomypc.com/u/tr/yh/cpm/grp/300_02F/g22lp?Target=mm/g22lp.tmpl";var lrec_altimg = "http://us.yimg.com/a/ex/expert_city/300x250_yh1.gif";var lrec_width = 300;var lrec_height = 250;

            • OSCAR HERRERA
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 29, 2003
                matthew carver <me@...> wrote:hails greg-

                It may be possible. The horse-riding tribes of the steppes, Scythians
                and Sarmations seem to have loaned a few words to germanic languages in
                general, or perhaps they came through Gothic (s.t. via Celtic, as marah-
                'horse', cf. Green, Language & History...): paida 'leather coat' (< ?
                riding coat), path- 'path (orig. a specific 'Scythian' path?), faths
                'leader' (exhibiting the decimal model of the Persian/Iranian military
                grouping). In Green, p. 81: "the possible presence of Gothic (or Gepid)
                loanwords in Rumanian." (ref.: Bierbrauer [1994], 130. Diculescu [1921],
                420ff. et al.)

                -matthew

                On Tuesday, March 25, 2003, at 04:33 PM, greg scaff wrote:

                > Hails,
                >
                > My thanks go to Dirk, Vladimir, Oscar, and of course Matthew for your
                > interest and insightful comments re: "balan". I guess another question
                > would be how accurate Procopius was in rendering a foreign word. Oh
                > well. I find it compelling that it means the same in Romania today,or
                > has the same form, as Francisc says, and wonder if their is any
                > possible actual connection between the Romanian form and the possible
                > Gothic?
                >
                > cheers,
                >
                > Greg

                > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
                var lrec_target="_top";var lrec_URL = new Array();lrec_URL[1] = "http://rd.yahoo.com/M=246920.2960106.4328965.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=1705297328:HM/A=1508984/R=0/id=flashurl/*http://www.gotomypc.com/u/tr/yh/cpm/grp/300_02F/g22lp?Target=mm/g22lp.tmpl";var link="javascript:LRECopenWindow(1)";var lrec_flashfile = 'http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/1-/flash/expert_city/093002_weather300x250_02f.swf?clickTAG='+link+'';var lrec_altURL = "http://rd.yahoo.com/M=246920.2960106.4328965.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=1705297328:HM/A=1508984/R=1/id=altimgurl/*http://www.gotomypc.com/u/tr/yh/cpm/grp/300_02F/g22lp?Target=mm/g22lp.tmpl";var lrec_altimg = "http://us.yimg.com/a/ex/expert_city/300x250_yh1.gif";var lrec_width = 300;var lrec_height = 250;

                hails matt--- ik swa naup samma waurdws du gaskeiran. her sind---stop,horse,sex,bugs, interest,do,tiger,lion,bear,paint,color,second,minute,animal,elephant,eagle,falcon. ive reading the corpus of the wulfila project and the translations are assumed and are not exact translations. also are crimean gothic words right translations. like eggs-ada or car-waghen and so forth. another word is cheese........ good luck--oscar