Re: [gothic-l] (unknown)

  • OSCAR HERRERA
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 20, 2003
      matthew carver <me@...> wrote:oscar -

      izwar is pronounced IZ-war. The 'w' is always 'w', not like v.
      It is the semivowel, not the bilabial continuant, in other words,
      like english 'w' or perhaps spanish 'hu'. there are links on my
      website http://www.matthewcarver.com/gutrazda/. i think
      david salo had some lessons online, but i forget the exact
      address.

      -matthew

      On Wednesday, March 19, 2003, at 07:42 AM, OSCAR HERRERA wrote:

      > couple of more questions- in the word your which is izwar,is izwar
      > pronounced as just the war part as var,so your saying var-your.also in
      > reading other peoples work in gothic i noticed most of the words are
      > suffixed different than their original meaning counterparts.do you know
      > of a more teachable book and glossary other that i have free access to
      > on internet.

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      is the word for stop-gadaubjon.how about--- which,already---are you sure blue is blews.

    • Grsartor@aol.com
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 21, 2003
        Sorry for the tardy response.

        I suggest for a translation of "Fire of life, make holy this place and keep
        out all evil":

        "Fon þizos libainais, weihais þana staþ warjaizuh all þata ubil."

        Perhaps "hina" would be a better choice for "this" than "þana", which has a
        sense more like "the" or "that"; on the other hand, I am not sure how free we
        should feel to use forms like "hina", and "himma". The surviving examples of
        their use seem to suggest that they were mainly employed in particular
        phrases, such as "himma daga", on this day.

        Gerry T.

      • greg scaff
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 25, 2003
          Hails,

          My thanks go to Dirk, Vladimir, Oscar, and of course Matthew for your interest and insightful comments re: "balan". I guess another question would be how accurate Procopius was in rendering a foreign word. Oh well. I find it compelling that it means the same in Romania today,or has the same form, as Francisc says, and wonder if their is any possible actual connection between the Romanian form and the possible Gothic?

          cheers,

          Greg

        • OSCAR HERRERA
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 25, 2003
            greg scaff <g_scaff@...> wrote:

            Hails,

            My thanks go to Dirk, Vladimir, Oscar, and of course Matthew for your interest and insightful comments re: "balan". I guess another question would be how accurate Procopius was in rendering a foreign word. Oh well. I find it compelling that it means the same in Romania today,or has the same form, as Francisc says, and wonder if their is any possible actual connection between the Romanian form and the possible Gothic?

            cheers,

            Greg

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            ik naup gaskierjan af samma waurdws. sind---interest(ing),key,paper,minute(s),bath(bathes),color,paint,horse,fox,sex(y)----awiulidon bropar

          • matthew carver
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 26, 2003
              hails greg-

              It may be possible. The horse-riding tribes of the steppes, Scythians
              and Sarmations seem to have loaned a few words to germanic languages in
              general, or perhaps they came through Gothic (s.t. via Celtic, as marah-
              'horse', cf. Green, Language & History...): paida 'leather coat' (< ?
              riding coat), path- 'path (orig. a specific 'Scythian' path?), faths
              'leader' (exhibiting the decimal model of the Persian/Iranian military
              grouping). In Green, p. 81: "the possible presence of Gothic (or Gepid)
              loanwords in Rumanian." (ref.: Bierbrauer [1994], 130. Diculescu [1921],
              420ff. et al.)

              -matthew

              On Tuesday, March 25, 2003, at 04:33 PM, greg scaff wrote:

              > Hails,
              >
              > My thanks go to Dirk, Vladimir, Oscar, and of course Matthew for your
              > interest and insightful comments re: "balan". I guess another question
              > would be how accurate Procopius was in rendering a foreign word. Oh
              > well. I find it compelling that it means the same in Romania today,or
              > has the same form, as Francisc says, and wonder if their is any
              > possible actual connection between the Romanian form and the possible
              > Gothic?
              >
              > cheers,
              >
              > Greg

              > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • greg scaff
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 26, 2003
                Hails Matthew,
                Very interesting-thank you, and thanks for the references.
                cheers,
                Greg
                matthew carver <me@...> wrote:hails greg-

                It may be possible. The horse-riding tribes of the steppes, Scythians
                and Sarmations seem to have loaned a few words to germanic languages in
                general, or perhaps they came through Gothic (s.t. via Celtic, as marah-
                'horse', cf. Green, Language & History...): paida 'leather coat' (< ?
                riding coat), path- 'path (orig. a specific 'Scythian' path?), faths
                'leader' (exhibiting the decimal model of the Persian/Iranian military
                grouping). In Green, p. 81: "the possible presence of Gothic (or Gepid)
                loanwords in Rumanian." (ref.: Bierbrauer [1994], 130. Diculescu [1921],
                420ff. et al.)

                -matthew

                On Tuesday, March 25, 2003, at 04:33 PM, greg scaff wrote:

                > Hails,
                >
                > My thanks go to Dirk, Vladimir, Oscar, and of course Matthew for your
                > interest and insightful comments re: "balan". I guess another question
                > would be how accurate Procopius was in rendering a foreign word. Oh
                > well. I find it compelling that it means the same in Romania today,or
                > has the same form, as Francisc says, and wonder if their is any
                > possible actual connection between the Romanian form and the possible
                > Gothic?
                >
                > cheers,
                >
                > Greg

                > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
                var lrec_target="_top";var lrec_URL = new Array();lrec_URL[1] = "http://rd.yahoo.com/M=246920.2960106.4328965.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=1705297328:HM/A=1508984/R=0/id=flashurl/*http://www.gotomypc.com/u/tr/yh/cpm/grp/300_02F/g22lp?Target=mm/g22lp.tmpl";var link="javascript:LRECopenWindow(1)";var lrec_flashfile = 'http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/1-/flash/expert_city/093002_weather300x250_02f.swf?clickTAG='+link+'';var lrec_altURL = "http://rd.yahoo.com/M=246920.2960106.4328965.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=1705297328:HM/A=1508984/R=1/id=altimgurl/*http://www.gotomypc.com/u/tr/yh/cpm/grp/300_02F/g22lp?Target=mm/g22lp.tmpl";var lrec_altimg = "http://us.yimg.com/a/ex/expert_city/300x250_yh1.gif";var lrec_width = 300;var lrec_height = 250;

              • OSCAR HERRERA
                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 29, 2003
                  matthew carver <me@...> wrote:hails greg-

                  It may be possible. The horse-riding tribes of the steppes, Scythians
                  and Sarmations seem to have loaned a few words to germanic languages in
                  general, or perhaps they came through Gothic (s.t. via Celtic, as marah-
                  'horse', cf. Green, Language & History...): paida 'leather coat' (< ?
                  riding coat), path- 'path (orig. a specific 'Scythian' path?), faths
                  'leader' (exhibiting the decimal model of the Persian/Iranian military
                  grouping). In Green, p. 81: "the possible presence of Gothic (or Gepid)
                  loanwords in Rumanian." (ref.: Bierbrauer [1994], 130. Diculescu [1921],
                  420ff. et al.)

                  -matthew

                  On Tuesday, March 25, 2003, at 04:33 PM, greg scaff wrote:

                  > Hails,
                  >
                  > My thanks go to Dirk, Vladimir, Oscar, and of course Matthew for your
                  > interest and insightful comments re: "balan". I guess another question
                  > would be how accurate Procopius was in rendering a foreign word. Oh
                  > well. I find it compelling that it means the same in Romania today,or
                  > has the same form, as Francisc says, and wonder if their is any
                  > possible actual connection between the Romanian form and the possible
                  > Gothic?
                  >
                  > cheers,
                  >
                  > Greg

                  > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
                  var lrec_target="_top";var lrec_URL = new Array();lrec_URL[1] = "http://rd.yahoo.com/M=246920.2960106.4328965.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=1705297328:HM/A=1508984/R=0/id=flashurl/*http://www.gotomypc.com/u/tr/yh/cpm/grp/300_02F/g22lp?Target=mm/g22lp.tmpl";var link="javascript:LRECopenWindow(1)";var lrec_flashfile = 'http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/1-/flash/expert_city/093002_weather300x250_02f.swf?clickTAG='+link+'';var lrec_altURL = "http://rd.yahoo.com/M=246920.2960106.4328965.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=1705297328:HM/A=1508984/R=1/id=altimgurl/*http://www.gotomypc.com/u/tr/yh/cpm/grp/300_02F/g22lp?Target=mm/g22lp.tmpl";var lrec_altimg = "http://us.yimg.com/a/ex/expert_city/300x250_yh1.gif";var lrec_width = 300;var lrec_height = 250;

                  hails matt--- ik swa naup samma waurdws du gaskeiran. her sind---stop,horse,sex,bugs, interest,do,tiger,lion,bear,paint,color,second,minute,animal,elephant,eagle,falcon. ive reading the corpus of the wulfila project and the translations are assumed and are not exact translations. also are crimean gothic words right translations. like eggs-ada or car-waghen and so forth. another word is cheese........ good luck--oscar