Re: [gothic-l] Re: (unknown)

  • matthew carver
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 19, 2003
      Koebler suggests
      Go. *Bala- refers orig. to 'white', and spec. a horse with a white
      marking, i.e. a "blaze" (cf. Byz. 'balas'), prob. < s. germ. *bala-
      "white, light, shining" < PIE (Pok.) *bha'-(1). THere is the gothic adj.
      *bal-s, PIE *bhel-(1) v. ref. (Pok.). It may be an extended form in
      *blagks < *blankaz "white" (> it. bianco, fr. blanc).

      There is of course baltic similarity in Lith. balts "white", Rus. byel-.

      -Matthew

    • matthew carver
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 19, 2003
        hot - heits
        south(ward) - adv. sunthr
        north(ern) - adj. naurths (adv. = ? naurthr)
        on - ana (et al.)
        off - ab (et al.)
        feel - ? you have to name what exactly is felt, i think, or use words to
        mean touch (tekan) or think (hugjan, munan, thugkjan, frathjan etc.)
        feelings - sense is 'frathi' or 'gahugds' - again, not common modern
        usage.
        close - galukan (verb to close), adj. (near, tight) lukns, adv. nehw(a)
        finish - ustiuhan
        blue - not attested. ? *blews
        gray - (adj) grews, greiseis, hasws, falws; (n) hawi
        brown - (adj) bruns
        yellow - not attested. but yellowish, pale (grayish) = falws. use golden
        (gultheins) or red (ruths) or bright (bairhts) perhaps.

        it really requires one to think differently about domains of meaning and
        examine one's idioms and ways of expression in comparison with those of
        gothic.

        -matthew

        > is this particular reading in gothic or what. is balan gothic for
        > horse- i dont know. but maybe you might know some word meanings i hadnt
        > found in wrights glossary or the german-gotisch glossary. here they
        > are-
        > hot,south,north,on,off,feel,feelings,close,finish,blue,gray,brown,yellow----ik
        > andbeiden izwar andwaurdwa.swa larsizuhain andbeiden skura
        > seina--nightly bath? afletan mein dwalipa waurdei, im swe sidondan
        > mein gutiska.---awiulidon bropar

        > You are a member of the Gothic-L list. To unsubscribe, send a blank
        > email to <gothic-l-unsubscribe@egroups.com>.
        >
        > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Егоров Владимир
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 19, 2003
          Hi Dirk!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

          I do not think Russian "belyi" to have connection
          to Procopius' "balan". First, the transition
          a -> e (half-long narrow sound) is not characteristic
          for the Russian language. Second, the white color
          is very specific, while Procopius wrote explicitly
          about the "dark gray" color.

          Perhaps the mentioned Greek "phalios" could be
          a cognate of English "pale"?
          But this is another pair of shoes.

          Vladimir

          > Hi Greg!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-
          com:office:office" />

          Hi Vladimir,

          perhaps 'belyi' Russian for white is a possible link? Not sure
          what 'white' would be in Old Slavonic.

          cheers

        • OSCAR HERRERA
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 19, 2003
            matthew carver <me@...> wrote:hot - heits
            south(ward) - adv. sunthr
            north(ern) - adj. naurths (adv. = ? naurthr)
            on - ana (et al.)
            off - ab (et al.)
            feel - ? you have to name what exactly is felt, i think, or use words to
            mean touch (tekan) or think (hugjan, munan, thugkjan, frathjan etc.)
            feelings - sense is 'frathi' or 'gahugds' - again, not common modern
            usage.
            close - galukan (verb to close), adj. (near, tight) lukns, adv. nehw(a)
            finish - ustiuhan
            blue - not attested. ? *blews
            gray - (adj) grews, greiseis, hasws, falws; (n) hawi
            brown - (adj) bruns
            yellow - not attested. but yellowish, pale (grayish) = falws. use golden
            (gultheins) or red (ruths) or bright (bairhts) perhaps.

            it really requires one to think differently about domains of meaning and
            examine one's idioms and ways of expression in comparison with those of
            gothic.

            -matthew

            > is this particular reading in gothic or what. is balan gothic for
            > horse- i dont know. but maybe you might know some word meanings i hadnt
            > found in wrights glossary or the german-gotisch glossary. here they
            > are-
            > hot,south,north,on,off,feel,feelings,close,finish,blue,gray,brown,yellow----ik
            > andbeiden izwar andwaurdwa.swa larsizuhain andbeiden skura
            > seina--nightly bath? afletan mein dwalipa waurdei, im swe sidondan
            > mein gutiska.---awiulidon bropar

            > You are a member of the Gothic-L list. To unsubscribe, send a blank
            > email to <gothic-l-unsubscribe@egroups.com>.
            >
            > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
            > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            couple of more questions- in the word your which is izwar,is izwar pronounced as just the war part as var,so your saying var-your.also in reading other peoples work in gothic i noticed most of the words are suffixed different than their original meaning counterparts.do you know of a more teachable book and glossary other that i have free access to on internet.

          • matthew carver
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 19, 2003
              oscar -

              izwar is pronounced IZ-war. The 'w' is always 'w', not like v.
              It is the semivowel, not the bilabial continuant, in other words,
              like english 'w' or perhaps spanish 'hu'. there are links on my
              website http://www.matthewcarver.com/gutrazda/. i think
              david salo had some lessons online, but i forget the exact
              address.

              -matthew

              On Wednesday, March 19, 2003, at 07:42 AM, OSCAR HERRERA wrote:

              > couple of more questions- in the word your which is izwar,is izwar
              > pronounced as just the war part as var,so your saying var-your.also in
              > reading other peoples work in gothic i noticed most of the words are
              > suffixed different than their original meaning counterparts.do you know
              > of a more teachable book and glossary other that i have free access to
              > on internet.
            • OSCAR HERRERA
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 20, 2003
                matthew carver <me@...> wrote:oscar -

                izwar is pronounced IZ-war. The 'w' is always 'w', not like v.
                It is the semivowel, not the bilabial continuant, in other words,
                like english 'w' or perhaps spanish 'hu'. there are links on my
                website http://www.matthewcarver.com/gutrazda/. i think
                david salo had some lessons online, but i forget the exact
                address.

                -matthew

                On Wednesday, March 19, 2003, at 07:42 AM, OSCAR HERRERA wrote:

                > couple of more questions- in the word your which is izwar,is izwar
                > pronounced as just the war part as var,so your saying var-your.also in
                > reading other peoples work in gothic i noticed most of the words are
                > suffixed different than their original meaning counterparts.do you know
                > of a more teachable book and glossary other that i have free access to
                > on internet.

                Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                when you use words as verbs such word can be used differently and spelled differently---here are some examples---cut,cutter,cutting-----wait,waiting---look,looking---wait is beiden,waiting is beidendan?----cut is bimaitan, cutter is ?, cutting is bimaitandan---another words whatis appropriate suffixes for words like this are standard-+---also more words in gothic---ice,floor,wrong

              • OSCAR HERRERA
                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 20, 2003
                  matthew carver <me@...> wrote:oscar -

                  izwar is pronounced IZ-war. The 'w' is always 'w', not like v.
                  It is the semivowel, not the bilabial continuant, in other words,
                  like english 'w' or perhaps spanish 'hu'. there are links on my
                  website http://www.matthewcarver.com/gutrazda/. i think
                  david salo had some lessons online, but i forget the exact
                  address.

                  -matthew

                  On Wednesday, March 19, 2003, at 07:42 AM, OSCAR HERRERA wrote:

                  > couple of more questions- in the word your which is izwar,is izwar
                  > pronounced as just the war part as var,so your saying var-your.also in
                  > reading other peoples work in gothic i noticed most of the words are
                  > suffixed different than their original meaning counterparts.do you know
                  > of a more teachable book and glossary other that i have free access to
                  > on internet.

                  Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                  is the word for stop-gadaubjon.how about--- which,already---are you sure blue is blews.

                • Grsartor@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 21, 2003
                    Sorry for the tardy response.

                    I suggest for a translation of "Fire of life, make holy this place and keep
                    out all evil":

                    "Fon þizos libainais, weihais þana staþ warjaizuh all þata ubil."

                    Perhaps "hina" would be a better choice for "this" than "þana", which has a
                    sense more like "the" or "that"; on the other hand, I am not sure how free we
                    should feel to use forms like "hina", and "himma". The surviving examples of
                    their use seem to suggest that they were mainly employed in particular
                    phrases, such as "himma daga", on this day.

                    Gerry T.

                  • greg scaff
                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 25, 2003
                      Hails,

                      My thanks go to Dirk, Vladimir, Oscar, and of course Matthew for your interest and insightful comments re: "balan". I guess another question would be how accurate Procopius was in rendering a foreign word. Oh well. I find it compelling that it means the same in Romania today,or has the same form, as Francisc says, and wonder if their is any possible actual connection between the Romanian form and the possible Gothic?

                      cheers,

                      Greg

                    • OSCAR HERRERA
                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 25, 2003
                        greg scaff <g_scaff@...> wrote:

                        Hails,

                        My thanks go to Dirk, Vladimir, Oscar, and of course Matthew for your interest and insightful comments re: "balan". I guess another question would be how accurate Procopius was in rendering a foreign word. Oh well. I find it compelling that it means the same in Romania today,or has the same form, as Francisc says, and wonder if their is any possible actual connection between the Romanian form and the possible Gothic?

                        cheers,

                        Greg

                        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                        ik naup gaskierjan af samma waurdws. sind---interest(ing),key,paper,minute(s),bath(bathes),color,paint,horse,fox,sex(y)----awiulidon bropar

                      • matthew carver
                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 26, 2003
                          hails greg-

                          It may be possible. The horse-riding tribes of the steppes, Scythians
                          and Sarmations seem to have loaned a few words to germanic languages in
                          general, or perhaps they came through Gothic (s.t. via Celtic, as marah-
                          'horse', cf. Green, Language & History...): paida 'leather coat' (< ?
                          riding coat), path- 'path (orig. a specific 'Scythian' path?), faths
                          'leader' (exhibiting the decimal model of the Persian/Iranian military
                          grouping). In Green, p. 81: "the possible presence of Gothic (or Gepid)
                          loanwords in Rumanian." (ref.: Bierbrauer [1994], 130. Diculescu [1921],
                          420ff. et al.)

                          -matthew

                          Message 12 of 19 , Mar 26, 2003
                            Hails Matthew,
                            Very interesting-thank you, and thanks for the references.
                            cheers,
                            Greg
                            matthew carver <me@...> wrote:hails greg-

                            It may be possible. The horse-riding tribes of the steppes, Scythians
                            and Sarmations seem to have loaned a few words to germanic languages in
                            general, or perhaps they came through Gothic (s.t. via Celtic, as marah-
                            'horse', cf. Green, Language & History...): paida 'leather coat' (< ?
                            riding coat), path- 'path (orig. a specific 'Scythian' path?), faths
                            'leader' (exhibiting the decimal model of the Persian/Iranian military
                            grouping). In Green, p. 81: "the possible presence of Gothic (or Gepid)
                            loanwords in Rumanian." (ref.: Bierbrauer [1994], 130. Diculescu [1921],
                            420ff. et al.)

                            -matthew

                            On Tuesday, March 25, 2003, at 04:33 PM, greg scaff wrote:

                            > Hails,
                            >
                            > My thanks go to Dirk, Vladimir, Oscar, and of course Matthew for your
                            > interest and insightful comments re: "balan". I guess another question
                            > would be how accurate Procopius was in rendering a foreign word. Oh
                            > well. I find it compelling that it means the same in Romania today,or
                            > has the same form, as Francisc says, and wonder if their is any
                            > possible actual connection between the Romanian form and the possible
                            > Gothic?
                            >
                            > cheers,
                            >
                            > Greg

                            > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
                            var lrec_target="_top";var lrec_URL = new Array();lrec_URL[1] = "http://rd.yahoo.com/M=246920.2960106.4328965.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=1705297328:HM/A=1508984/R=0/id=flashurl/*http://www.gotomypc.com/u/tr/yh/cpm/grp/300_02F/g22lp?Target=mm/g22lp.tmpl";var link="javascript:LRECopenWindow(1)";var lrec_flashfile = 'http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/1-/flash/expert_city/093002_weather300x250_02f.swf?clickTAG='+link+'';var lrec_altURL = "http://rd.yahoo.com/M=246920.2960106.4328965.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=1705297328:HM/A=1508984/R=1/id=altimgurl/*http://www.gotomypc.com/u/tr/yh/cpm/grp/300_02F/g22lp?Target=mm/g22lp.tmpl";var lrec_altimg = "http://us.yimg.com/a/ex/expert_city/300x250_yh1.gif";var lrec_width = 300;var lrec_height = 250;

                          • OSCAR HERRERA
                            Message 13 of 19 , Mar 29, 2003
                              matthew carver <me@...> wrote:hails greg-

                              It may be possible. The horse-riding tribes of the steppes, Scythians
                              and Sarmations seem to have loaned a few words to germanic languages in
                              general, or perhaps they came through Gothic (s.t. via Celtic, as marah-
                              'horse', cf. Green, Language & History...): paida 'leather coat' (< ?
                              riding coat), path- 'path (orig. a specific 'Scythian' path?), faths
                              'leader' (exhibiting the decimal model of the Persian/Iranian military
                              grouping). In Green, p. 81: "the possible presence of Gothic (or Gepid)
                              loanwords in Rumanian." (ref.: Bierbrauer [1994], 130. Diculescu [1921],
                              420ff. et al.)

                              -matthew

                              On Tuesday, March 25, 2003, at 04:33 PM, greg scaff wrote:

                              > Hails,
                              >
                              > My thanks go to Dirk, Vladimir, Oscar, and of course Matthew for your
                              > interest and insightful comments re: "balan". I guess another question
                              > would be how accurate Procopius was in rendering a foreign word. Oh
                              > well. I find it compelling that it means the same in Romania today,or
                              > has the same form, as Francisc says, and wonder if their is any
                              > possible actual connection between the Romanian form and the possible
                              > Gothic?
                              >
                              > cheers,
                              >
                              > Greg

                              > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                              Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
                              var lrec_target="_top";var lrec_URL = new Array();lrec_URL[1] = "http://rd.yahoo.com/M=246920.2960106.4328965.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=1705297328:HM/A=1508984/R=0/id=flashurl/*http://www.gotomypc.com/u/tr/yh/cpm/grp/300_02F/g22lp?Target=mm/g22lp.tmpl";var link="javascript:LRECopenWindow(1)";var lrec_flashfile = 'http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/1-/flash/expert_city/093002_weather300x250_02f.swf?clickTAG='+link+'';var lrec_altURL = "http://rd.yahoo.com/M=246920.2960106.4328965.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=1705297328:HM/A=1508984/R=1/id=altimgurl/*http://www.gotomypc.com/u/tr/yh/cpm/grp/300_02F/g22lp?Target=mm/g22lp.tmpl";var lrec_altimg = "http://us.yimg.com/a/ex/expert_city/300x250_yh1.gif";var lrec_width = 300;var lrec_height = 250;

                              hails matt--- ik swa naup samma waurdws du gaskeiran. her sind---stop,horse,sex,bugs, interest,do,tiger,lion,bear,paint,color,second,minute,animal,elephant,eagle,falcon. ive reading the corpus of the wulfila project and the translations are assumed and are not exact translations. also are crimean gothic words right translations. like eggs-ada or car-waghen and so forth. another word is cheese........ good luck--oscar