RE: [gothic-l] (unknown)

  • Егоров Владимир
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 18, 2003
      Hi Greg!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

      I have not a direct answer on your question
      regarding the "barbaric" word "balan".
      But I draw your attention to the Russian word
      "bulany" as a horse color. "Bulany" is regularly
      translated in English as "dun" though old
      Russian explanatory dictionaries treat the notion
      as "ore-yellow, yellowish of diverse tints,
      with the mane and tail being black or deep-brown,
      and usually with a strap along spinal column".

      I do not know the exact origin of "bulany" but
      Turkic (Kuman) extraction looks most probable.
      I guess you should search in this direction.

      Good luck,

      Vladimir

      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 19, 2003
        --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, åÇÏÒÏ× ÷ÌÁÄÉÍÉÒ <vegorov@i...> wrote:
        > Hi Greg!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-
        com:office:office" />

        > I have not a direct answer on your question
        > regarding the "barbaric" word "balan".
        > But I draw your attention to the Russian word
        > "bulany" as a horse color. "Bulany" is regularly
        > translated in English as "dun" though old
        > Russian explanatory dictionaries treat the notion
        > as "ore-yellow, yellowish of diverse tints,
        > with the mane and tail being black or deep-brown,
        > and usually with a strap along spinal column".
        >

        > I do not know the exact origin of "bulany" but
        > Turkic (Kuman) extraction looks most probable.
        > I guess you should search in this direction.
        >

        > Good luck,
        >
        > Vladimir

        Hi Vladimir,

        perhaps 'belyi' Russian for white is a possible link? Not sure
        what 'white' would be in Old Slavonic.

        cheers
        Dirk

        blank email to <gothic-l-unsubscribe@egroups.com>.

        Service.

        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 19, 2003
          Hails, Greg

          in the Romanian language, "balan" means "white" or "light-colored",
          with reference to horses (and sometimes it means also "blonde", with
          reference to humans). The word seems to be of Slavic origin (Old
          Slavonic belu "white"). It is interesting that the word mentioned by
          Procopius is identical with the modern Romanian form.

          Francisc

          --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, greg scaff <g_scaff@y...> wrote:

          > Hails,
          >
          > I am curious as to the origin of the word "balan", mentioned
          in Procopius' History of the Wars, V, XVlll, in my vol, p
          173, ",,,and his whole body was dark grey, except that his face from
          the top of his head to the nostrils was the purest white. Such a
          horse the Greeks call "phalius" and the barbarians "balan." Within
          the context of this passage it seems that Procopius was referring to
          Ostrogoths as the barbarians in question, but not definatively. I'm
          aware that "balan" is unattested as a Gothic word. Can it be
          identified as having a known Iranic/Turkic/Arabic or other origin?
          Are there any Germanic cognates? Has anyone studied this word
          before? I would appreciate your ideas and comments, thank you.

          > Greg
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
          >

          > You are a member of the Gothic-L list. To unsubscribe, send a
          blank email to <gothic-l-unsubscribe@egroups.com>.

          Service.

        • matthew carver
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 19, 2003
            Koebler suggests
            Go. *Bala- refers orig. to 'white', and spec. a horse with a white
            marking, i.e. a "blaze" (cf. Byz. 'balas'), prob. < s. germ. *bala-
            "white, light, shining" < PIE (Pok.) *bha'-(1). THere is the gothic adj.
            *bal-s, PIE *bhel-(1) v. ref. (Pok.). It may be an extended form in
            *blagks < *blankaz "white" (> it. bianco, fr. blanc).

            There is of course baltic similarity in Lith. balts "white", Rus. byel-.

            -Matthew

          • matthew carver
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 19, 2003
              hot - heits
              south(ward) - adv. sunthr
              north(ern) - adj. naurths (adv. = ? naurthr)
              on - ana (et al.)
              off - ab (et al.)
              feel - ? you have to name what exactly is felt, i think, or use words to
              mean touch (tekan) or think (hugjan, munan, thugkjan, frathjan etc.)
              feelings - sense is 'frathi' or 'gahugds' - again, not common modern
              usage.
              close - galukan (verb to close), adj. (near, tight) lukns, adv. nehw(a)
              finish - ustiuhan
              blue - not attested. ? *blews
              gray - (adj) grews, greiseis, hasws, falws; (n) hawi
              brown - (adj) bruns
              yellow - not attested. but yellowish, pale (grayish) = falws. use golden
              (gultheins) or red (ruths) or bright (bairhts) perhaps.

              it really requires one to think differently about domains of meaning and
              examine one's idioms and ways of expression in comparison with those of
              gothic.

              -matthew

              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 19, 2003
                Hi Dirk!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

                I do not think Russian "belyi" to have connection
                to Procopius' "balan". First, the transition
                a -> e (half-long narrow sound) is not characteristic
                for the Russian language. Second, the white color
                is very specific, while Procopius wrote explicitly
                about the "dark gray" color.

                Perhaps the mentioned Greek "phalios" could be
                a cognate of English "pale"?
                But this is another pair of shoes.

                Vladimir

                > Hi Greg!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-
                com:office:office" />

                Hi Vladimir,

                perhaps 'belyi' Russian for white is a possible link? Not sure
                what 'white' would be in Old Slavonic.

                cheers

              • OSCAR HERRERA
                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 19, 2003
                  matthew carver <me@...> wrote:hot - heits
                  south(ward) - adv. sunthr
                  north(ern) - adj. naurths (adv. = ? naurthr)
                  on - ana (et al.)
                  off - ab (et al.)
                  feel - ? you have to name what exactly is felt, i think, or use words to
                  mean touch (tekan) or think (hugjan, munan, thugkjan, frathjan etc.)
                  feelings - sense is 'frathi' or 'gahugds' - again, not common modern
                  usage.
                  close - galukan (verb to close), adj. (near, tight) lukns, adv. nehw(a)
                  finish - ustiuhan
                  blue - not attested. ? *blews
                  gray - (adj) grews, greiseis, hasws, falws; (n) hawi
                  brown - (adj) bruns
                  yellow - not attested. but yellowish, pale (grayish) = falws. use golden
                  (gultheins) or red (ruths) or bright (bairhts) perhaps.

                  it really requires one to think differently about domains of meaning and
                  examine one's idioms and ways of expression in comparison with those of
                  gothic.

                  -matthew

                  > is this particular reading in gothic or what. is balan gothic for
                  > horse- i dont know. but maybe you might know some word meanings i hadnt
                  > found in wrights glossary or the german-gotisch glossary. here they
                  > are-
                  > hot,south,north,on,off,feel,feelings,close,finish,blue,gray,brown,yellow----ik
                  > andbeiden izwar andwaurdwa.swa larsizuhain andbeiden skura
                  > seina--nightly bath? afletan mein dwalipa waurdei, im swe sidondan
                  > mein gutiska.---awiulidon bropar

                  > You are a member of the Gothic-L list. To unsubscribe, send a blank
                  > email to <gothic-l-unsubscribe@egroups.com>.
                  >
                  > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                  > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  couple of more questions- in the word your which is izwar,is izwar pronounced as just the war part as var,so your saying var-your.also in reading other peoples work in gothic i noticed most of the words are suffixed different than their original meaning counterparts.do you know of a more teachable book and glossary other that i have free access to on internet.

                • matthew carver
                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 19, 2003
                    oscar -

                    izwar is pronounced IZ-war. The 'w' is always 'w', not like v.
                    It is the semivowel, not the bilabial continuant, in other words,
                    like english 'w' or perhaps spanish 'hu'. there are links on my
                    website http://www.matthewcarver.com/gutrazda/. i think
                    david salo had some lessons online, but i forget the exact
                    address.

                    -matthew

                    On Wednesday, March 19, 2003, at 07:42 AM, OSCAR HERRERA wrote:

                    > couple of more questions- in the word your which is izwar,is izwar
                    > pronounced as just the war part as var,so your saying var-your.also in
                    > reading other peoples work in gothic i noticed most of the words are
                    > suffixed different than their original meaning counterparts.do you know
                    > of a more teachable book and glossary other that i have free access to
                    > on internet.
                  • OSCAR HERRERA
                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 20, 2003
                      matthew carver <me@...> wrote:oscar -

                      izwar is pronounced IZ-war. The 'w' is always 'w', not like v.
                      It is the semivowel, not the bilabial continuant, in other words,
                      like english 'w' or perhaps spanish 'hu'. there are links on my
                      website http://www.matthewcarver.com/gutrazda/. i think
                      david salo had some lessons online, but i forget the exact
                      address.

                      -matthew

                      On Wednesday, March 19, 2003, at 07:42 AM, OSCAR HERRERA wrote:

                      > couple of more questions- in the word your which is izwar,is izwar
                      > pronounced as just the war part as var,so your saying var-your.also in
                      > reading other peoples work in gothic i noticed most of the words are
                      > suffixed different than their original meaning counterparts.do you know
                      > of a more teachable book and glossary other that i have free access to
                      > on internet.

                      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                      when you use words as verbs such word can be used differently and spelled differently---here are some examples---cut,cutter,cutting-----wait,waiting---look,looking---wait is beiden,waiting is beidendan?----cut is bimaitan, cutter is ?, cutting is bimaitandan---another words whatis appropriate suffixes for words like this are standard-+---also more words in gothic---ice,floor,wrong

                    • OSCAR HERRERA
                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 20, 2003
                        matthew carver <me@...> wrote:oscar -

                        izwar is pronounced IZ-war. The 'w' is always 'w', not like v.
                        It is the semivowel, not the bilabial continuant, in other words,
                        like english 'w' or perhaps spanish 'hu'. there are links on my
                        website http://www.matthewcarver.com/gutrazda/. i think
                        david salo had some lessons online, but i forget the exact
                        address.

                        -matthew

                        On Wednesday, March 19, 2003, at 07:42 AM, OSCAR HERRERA wrote:

                        > couple of more questions- in the word your which is izwar,is izwar
                        > pronounced as just the war part as var,so your saying var-your.also in
                        > reading other peoples work in gothic i noticed most of the words are
                        > suffixed different than their original meaning counterparts.do you know
                        > of a more teachable book and glossary other that i have free access to
                        > on internet.

                        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                        is the word for stop-gadaubjon.how about--- which,already---are you sure blue is blews.

                      • Grsartor@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 21, 2003
                          Sorry for the tardy response.

                          I suggest for a translation of "Fire of life, make holy this place and keep
                          out all evil":

                          "Fon þizos libainais, weihais þana staþ warjaizuh all þata ubil."

                          Perhaps "hina" would be a better choice for "this" than "þana", which has a
                          sense more like "the" or "that"; on the other hand, I am not sure how free we
                          should feel to use forms like "hina", and "himma". The surviving examples of
                          their use seem to suggest that they were mainly employed in particular
                          phrases, such as "himma daga", on this day.

                          Gerry T.

                        • greg scaff
                          Message 12 of 19 , Mar 25, 2003
                            Hails,

                            My thanks go to Dirk, Vladimir, Oscar, and of course Matthew for your interest and insightful comments re: "balan". I guess another question would be how accurate Procopius was in rendering a foreign word. Oh well. I find it compelling that it means the same in Romania today,or has the same form, as Francisc says, and wonder if their is any possible actual connection between the Romanian form and the possible Gothic?

                            cheers,

                            Greg

                          • OSCAR HERRERA
                            Message 13 of 19 , Mar 25, 2003
                              greg scaff <g_scaff@...> wrote:

                              Hails,

                              My thanks go to Dirk, Vladimir, Oscar, and of course Matthew for your interest and insightful comments re: "balan". I guess another question would be how accurate Procopius was in rendering a foreign word. Oh well. I find it compelling that it means the same in Romania today,or has the same form, as Francisc says, and wonder if their is any possible actual connection between the Romanian form and the possible Gothic?

                              cheers,

                              Greg

                              Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                              ik naup gaskierjan af samma waurdws. sind---interest(ing),key,paper,minute(s),bath(bathes),color,paint,horse,fox,sex(y)----awiulidon bropar

                            • matthew carver
                              Message 14 of 19 , Mar 26, 2003
                                hails greg-

                                It may be possible. The horse-riding tribes of the steppes, Scythians
                                and Sarmations seem to have loaned a few words to germanic languages in
                                general, or perhaps they came through Gothic (s.t. via Celtic, as marah-
                                'horse', cf. Green, Language & History...): paida 'leather coat' (< ?
                                riding coat), path- 'path (orig. a specific 'Scythian' path?), faths
                                'leader' (exhibiting the decimal model of the Persian/Iranian military
                                grouping). In Green, p. 81: "the possible presence of Gothic (or Gepid)
                                loanwords in Rumanian." (ref.: Bierbrauer [1994], 130. Diculescu [1921],
                                420ff. et al.)

                                -matthew

                                Message 15 of 19 , Mar 26, 2003
                                  Hails Matthew,
                                  Very interesting-thank you, and thanks for the references.
                                  cheers,
                                  Greg
                                  matthew carver <me@...> wrote:hails greg-

                                  It may be possible. The horse-riding tribes of the steppes, Scythians
                                  and Sarmations seem to have loaned a few words to germanic languages in
                                  general, or perhaps they came through Gothic (s.t. via Celtic, as marah-
                                  'horse', cf. Green, Language & History...): paida 'leather coat' (< ?
                                  riding coat), path- 'path (orig. a specific 'Scythian' path?), faths
                                  'leader' (exhibiting the decimal model of the Persian/Iranian military
                                  grouping). In Green, p. 81: "the possible presence of Gothic (or Gepid)
                                  loanwords in Rumanian." (ref.: Bierbrauer [1994], 130. Diculescu [1921],
                                  420ff. et al.)

                                  -matthew

                                  On Tuesday, March 25, 2003, at 04:33 PM, greg scaff wrote:

                                  > Hails,
                                  >
                                  > My thanks go to Dirk, Vladimir, Oscar, and of course Matthew for your
                                  > interest and insightful comments re: "balan". I guess another question
                                  > would be how accurate Procopius was in rendering a foreign word. Oh
                                  > well. I find it compelling that it means the same in Romania today,or
                                  > has the same form, as Francisc says, and wonder if their is any
                                  > possible actual connection between the Romanian form and the possible
                                  > Gothic?
                                  >
                                  > cheers,
                                  >
                                  > Greg

                                  > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                  Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
                                  var lrec_target="_top";var lrec_URL = new Array();lrec_URL[1] = "http://rd.yahoo.com/M=246920.2960106.4328965.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=1705297328:HM/A=1508984/R=0/id=flashurl/*http://www.gotomypc.com/u/tr/yh/cpm/grp/300_02F/g22lp?Target=mm/g22lp.tmpl";var link="javascript:LRECopenWindow(1)";var lrec_flashfile = 'http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/1-/flash/expert_city/093002_weather300x250_02f.swf?clickTAG='+link+'';var lrec_altURL = "http://rd.yahoo.com/M=246920.2960106.4328965.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=1705297328:HM/A=1508984/R=1/id=altimgurl/*http://www.gotomypc.com/u/tr/yh/cpm/grp/300_02F/g22lp?Target=mm/g22lp.tmpl";var lrec_altimg = "http://us.yimg.com/a/ex/expert_city/300x250_yh1.gif";var lrec_width = 300;var lrec_height = 250;

                                • OSCAR HERRERA
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Mar 29, 2003
                                    matthew carver <me@...> wrote:hails greg-

                                    It may be possible. The horse-riding tribes of the steppes, Scythians
                                    and Sarmations seem to have loaned a few words to germanic languages in
                                    general, or perhaps they came through Gothic (s.t. via Celtic, as marah-
                                    'horse', cf. Green, Language & History...): paida 'leather coat' (< ?
                                    riding coat), path- 'path (orig. a specific 'Scythian' path?), faths
                                    'leader' (exhibiting the decimal model of the Persian/Iranian military
                                    grouping). In Green, p. 81: "the possible presence of Gothic (or Gepid)
                                    loanwords in Rumanian." (ref.: Bierbrauer [1994], 130. Diculescu [1921],
                                    420ff. et al.)

                                    -matthew

                                    On Tuesday, March 25, 2003, at 04:33 PM, greg scaff wrote:

                                    > Hails,
                                    >
                                    > My thanks go to Dirk, Vladimir, Oscar, and of course Matthew for your
                                    > interest and insightful comments re: "balan". I guess another question
                                    > would be how accurate Procopius was in rendering a foreign word. Oh
                                    > well. I find it compelling that it means the same in Romania today,or
                                    > has the same form, as Francisc says, and wonder if their is any
                                    > possible actual connection between the Romanian form and the possible
                                    > Gothic?
                                    >
                                    > cheers,
                                    >
                                    > Greg

                                    > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                    Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
                                    var lrec_target="_top";var lrec_URL = new Array();lrec_URL[1] = "http://rd.yahoo.com/M=246920.2960106.4328965.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=1705297328:HM/A=1508984/R=0/id=flashurl/*http://www.gotomypc.com/u/tr/yh/cpm/grp/300_02F/g22lp?Target=mm/g22lp.tmpl";var link="javascript:LRECopenWindow(1)";var lrec_flashfile = 'http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/1-/flash/expert_city/093002_weather300x250_02f.swf?clickTAG='+link+'';var lrec_altURL = "http://rd.yahoo.com/M=246920.2960106.4328965.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=1705297328:HM/A=1508984/R=1/id=altimgurl/*http://www.gotomypc.com/u/tr/yh/cpm/grp/300_02F/g22lp?Target=mm/g22lp.tmpl";var lrec_altimg = "http://us.yimg.com/a/ex/expert_city/300x250_yh1.gif";var lrec_width = 300;var lrec_height = 250;

                                    hails matt--- ik swa naup samma waurdws du gaskeiran. her sind---stop,horse,sex,bugs, interest,do,tiger,lion,bear,paint,color,second,minute,animal,elephant,eagle,falcon. ive reading the corpus of the wulfila project and the translations are assumed and are not exact translations. also are crimean gothic words right translations. like eggs-ada or car-waghen and so forth. another word is cheese........ good luck--oscar