Fw: Welcome to gothic-l

  • AElfric and Ursula
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 3, 2003
      -----Original Message-----
      From: Johan Meyer <izakmeyer@...>
      To: gothic-l Moderator <gothic-l-owner@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Monday, March 03, 2003 3:34 AM
      Subject: Re: Welcome to gothic-l

      Hallo

      I am a 24 year old South African student studying in Brussels, Belgium. Although I am a Biologist, I am also interested in languages, especially Gemanic languages. My mother tongue is Afrikaans and I can also speak English, Dutch, German and Sepedi.

      I am interested in learning Gothic and would like to know where I can get some more information on this. I would also like to know if there is a list with plant and animal names in Gothic. I collect lists of common names of animals, especially birds in various languages.

      Thank you very much

      Yours sincerely

      Johan

      gothic-l Moderator <gothic-l-owner@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Hails! and Welcome to the Gothic-L!

      This list is devoted to the Gothic Language as recorded by Wulfila's translations and elsewhere, but it also has interest in cultural and historical aspects. We want to exchange scholarship, information and viewpoints, and some of us perhaps attempt to "revive" the language and "reconstruct" its vocabulary

      We encourage you also, if you are so inclined, to compose email in Gothic (though admittedly few of us are very good at this). Should you, however, wish to do this, please include an English translation at the bottom of your message.

      Of course, we expect all posts to be made in a professional manner, courteous and respectful of other members, provided with citations of work when necessary and other etiquettes normal to scholarly conduct.

      Most importantly, please introduce yourself and give us an idea of your background and interests!

      Gawairthi,

      Moderator, Matthew Carver
      Moderator, Eric Craven
      Moderator, Albareiks