Re: Gothic names

  • Troels Brandt <trbrandt@post9.tele.dk>
    Message 1 of 49 , Feb 3 1:59 AM
      --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, <vegorov@i...> wrote:
      > Hi, Troels!
      >
      > Thank you for the exhaustive anthology regarding Hrothwulf,
      > even if my gratitude reaches you with a week delay.
      >
      > Unfortunately, the series for Hrothrik was shorter.
      > Except for Beowulf (I just reconstructed *Hrothrik from
      > Beowulf's HROTHmund + hredRIK) you mentioned Saxon's
      > Röric (Roeric) and compared this form with HraerekR
      > of the sagas as "synonymous". Identity of "Roeric" and
      > "HraerekR" is very important for me.

      Hi Vladimir

      If this is the identity you want to use, you have to be aware that
      this was based on a comparison of figures in the sagas and Gesta
      Danorum. I (and others) may have made a wrong comparison or Saxo may
      have made a mistake when he spelled the name. As already mentioned I
      did not look at this from a linguistic point of view.

      Troels

      > First, this allows me
      > to extend identifying HraithmaraR of the Roekstone
      > with Hroth-mara that is the Black sea as "Russian-sea"
      > (naturally if the supposition, BTW prompted by you, on
      > derivation of the ethnonym "Rus" from Gothic "hroth" is true).
      > Second, this corroborates my assumption that Rurik of
      > the Initial Russian Chronicle was neither "knyaz' Rurik"
      > nor "konung Roeric of Jutland/Frisland" but merely
      > a personification of Russian kagans (chacans, hacons)
      > i.e. Russian rulers, i.e. Hroth-riks. In particular,
      > the Initial Chronicle personifies the same way the Russian
      > "priestly chieftains", i.e. hölgi, as "knyaz' Oleg",
      > and the Khazar kagans as "knyaz' Kagan".
      >
      > (I realize that all this sounds for you as a drivel
      > and I have no intentions to impose on you my considerations,
      > which are far enough from Gothic problems, but believe
      > that I have some serious reasons for them, and I'm not
      > wasting your time in vain.)
      >
      > Vladimir
    • o_cossue
      Message 49 of 49 , Dec 14, 2015

        Really interesting. There are just a handful of Germanic names with an initial sigis- theme (according to Förstemann 1900: Sigisbert, Sigisfrid, Sigismeres, Sigismund, Sigistricus, Sigisvulth) I can add a Sigesgundia in Galicia in 887), but there are plenty of them with just *segi-, and also with *ses/sis- (including Galician medieval names Sisulfus, Sisericus, Sisvaldus... and Sisuldus, Sisina, Sesinus, Sisilo, Sisbertus, Sesgundia, etc.) So I think that your reasoning can be also applyied to the identification of *sis- as a variant of *sigis-.

        Now, on Rosamunda, etc, the element Maur- present in Maurila was probably taken from Latin Maurentius; Flor- in Floresindus from Florentius (flos ‘blossom’, and so 'to grow, prosper'); Cresc- in Crescemirus from Crescentius (crescere ‘to grow’); fortis in Fortesindus and Gundifortis is Latin fortis ‘strong’... So Rosamunda/Rosemudus can be related to Rosalia, Rosula or Rosina, but there are alternative Germanic etymologies (I concede that they are too many and probably too weak).

        Regards,

        Miguel Costa