Fw: Welcome to gothic-l

  • AElfric and Ursula
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 2, 2003
      -----Original Message-----
      From: Larry Carpenter
      To: gothic-l Moderator <gothic-l-owner@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Thursday, January 02, 2003 1:46 PM
      Subject: Re: Welcome to gothic-l

      Greetings,

      Thank you for the warm welcome; this is the first Yahoo! group I have joined. As my e-mail address indicates . . . I'm half Goth. In fact I have double cousins that way. My father's sister married my mother's brother.

      I have a very strong interest in learning about the Gothic tribes and how they eventually came to the United States. Also, I would like to learn more about their strategy for battle. Apparently, in their day, they were a force to be reckoned with. Some of us are that way yet today; so the saying goes, . . . "If you hit one, you may as well have hit them all!"

      Halfgoth2

      gothic-l Moderator <gothic-l-owner@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Hails! and Welcome to the Gothic-L!

      This list is devoted to the Gothic Language as recorded by Wulfila's translations and elsewhere, but it also has interest in cultural and historical aspects. We want to exchange scholarship, information and viewpoints, and some of us perhaps attempt to "revive" the language and "reconstruct" its vocabulary

      We encourage you also, if you are so inclined, to compose email in Gothic (though admittedly few of us are very good at this). Should you, however, wish to do this, please include an English translation at the bottom of your message.

      Of course, we expect all posts to be made in a professional manner, courteous and respectful of other members, provided with citations of work when necessary and other etiquettes normal to scholarly conduct.

      Most importantly, please introduce yourself and give us an idea of your background and interests!

      Gawairthi,

      Moderator, Matthew Carver
      Moderator, Eric Craven
      Moderator, Albareiks

      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 5, 2003
        > Thank you for the warm welcome; this is the first Yahoo! group I
        have joined. As my e-mail address indicates . . . I'm half Goth. In
        fact I have double cousins that way. My father's sister married my
        mother's brother.

        I must see the evidence before I conclude that you are indeed half a
        Goth. You must be joking.

        > I have a very strong interest in learning about the Gothic
        tribes and how they eventually came to the United States.

        You must be joking. No Gothic tribes came to the United States. You
        must be aware of this.

        > Also, I would like to learn more about their strategy for
        battle. Apparently, in their day, they were a force to be reckoned
        with. Some of us are that way yet today; so the saying
        goes, . . . "If you hit one, you may as well have hit them all!"

        Now I know that you are joking. It never hurts to be lively.

        Vernon Peberty

        > Halfgoth2

        gothic-l Moderator <gothic-l-owner@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        > Hails! and Welcome to the Gothic-L!
        >
        > This list is devoted to the Gothic Language as recorded by
        Wulfila's translations and elsewhere, but it also has interest in
        cultural and historical aspects. We want to exchange scholarship,
        information and viewpoints, and some of us perhaps attempt
        to "revive" the language and "reconstruct" its vocabulary

        > We encourage you also, if you are so inclined, to compose email
        in Gothic (though admittedly few of us are very good at this). Should
        you, however, wish to do this, please include an English translation
        at the bottom of your message.

        > Of course, we expect all posts to be made in a professional
        manner, courteous and respectful of other members, provided with
        citations of work when necessary and other etiquettes normal to
        scholarly conduct.

        > Most importantly, please introduce yourself and give us an idea
        of your background and interests!

        > Gawairthi,
        >
        > Moderator, Matthew Carver
        > Moderator, Eric Craven
        > Moderator, Albareiks
        >

        > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • AElfric and Ursula
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 3, 2003
          I am a 24 year old South African student studying in Brussels, Belgium. Although I am a Biologist, I am also interested in languages, especially Gemanic languages. My mother tongue is Afrikaans and I can also speak English, Dutch, German and Sepedi.

          I am interested in learning Gothic and would like to know where I can get some more information on this. I would also like to know if there is a list with plant and animal names in Gothic. I collect lists of common names of animals, especially birds in various languages.

          Thank you very much

          Yours sincerely

          Johan

[...]

          J. Meyer