Inhabitants of Scandza

  • Le Bateman
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 26, 2002
      According to Jordanes the Heruli, Thurgundians, and many others were the
      original inhabitants of Scandza. Now is it possible that most of central
      Europe who were German speaking, were all at one time inhabitants of Scandza
      would this make them all Gothic. I believe Tureville-Petre proposed the
      notion I believe in The Heroic Age of Scandinavia or his Myth and Religion
      of the North that they left Scanza and peopled what is now Central Europe;
      the Teutons came from the region of the river that bears that name etc...
      Now is this merely myth or based in someway on historical evidence. Would
      this in someway make them Gothic, and their culture evolve and change
      because of either outside or cultural influence. I do hope this does not
      sound like a foolish inquiry.
      Le Bateman
      Montgomery, Alabama