[gothic-l] script/writing

  • Eric Craven
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 2, 1998
      well, one more thing...

      what about writing gothic in ascii?
      i would prefer to use
      Þþ
      instead of th
      about hv for the character for "700", i would prefer some
      one-character-solution. it may sound weird, but i think its better to
      stay as close to the original as possible... i thought about using fx.
      y, as it is not used otherwise, but this would be a far way from any
      associated shape, although it would be one letter....

      if not all list members can see thorn and áéíóú, as mat asked, we might
      have to use something else anyway....

      one more thing, would u think it a good idea to use the original gothic
      alphabet (S-Type of Codex Arg.) on a webpage, or would u prefer ascii
      (or both?). as im doing my page it would be great help to know what u
      expect...

      tx

      eric

    • René Gerritsen
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 2, 1998
        At 22:53 2-12-98 +0900, you wrote:
        >well, one more thing...
        >
        >what about writing gothic in ascii?
        >i would prefer to use
        >Þþ
        >instead of th
        >about hv for the character for "700", i would prefer some
        >one-character-solution. it may sound weird, but i think its better to
        >stay as close to the original as possible... i thought about using fx.
        >y, as it is not used otherwise, but this would be a far way from any
        >associated shape, although it would be one letter....
        >
        >if not all list members can see thorn and áéíóú, as mat asked, we might
        >have to use something else anyway....
        >
        >one more thing, would u think it a good idea to use the original gothic
        >alphabet (S-Type of Codex Arg.) on a webpage, or would u prefer ascii
        >(or both?). as im doing my page it would be great help to know what u
        >expect...
        >
        >tx
        >
        >eric

        Recently on Medtext Jim Marchand suggested that O (capital o) could be used
        for hv, since gothic - or rather: the transcription of gothic - doesn't use
        capitals, and O comes rather close to the manuscript shape of the letter.
        Some editors apparently use capital Y (capital to indicate that it's not an
        usual letter. (saiOan or saiYan; not great, but better than saiyan, I think).
        To write "th" instead of "þ" on the other hand wouldn't be a wise thing to
        do, since gothic does know -th- as -t-h- (at-haitan). The usual solution is
        writing þ (like: allaþro for allaþro); quite ugly, isn't it?
        Marchand suggests t% (allat%ro). Not pretty either, but at least much
        better. I'd say: try to use thorn.

        For a website I think ASCII is advisable; some examples in CA-type would be
        nice, but just for fun (scares people away instead of making gothic popular).

        cu

        René
      • David Salo
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 2, 1998
          >about hv for the character for "700", i would prefer some
          >one-character-solution. it may sound weird, but i think its better to
          >stay as close to the original as possible... i thought about using fx.
          >y, as it is not used otherwise, but this would be a far way from any
          >associated shape, although it would be one letter....

          Some older transcriptions (in German) used "w" for hw (or hv, if you
          prefer) and "v" for w; this is workable, if a bit confusing to those of us
          who pronounce w in English fashion! The opposite ("v" = hw, "w" = w), as
          Edward suggested, is also fine. Other solutions (y, Y, O, etc.) seem very
          bizarre to the eye. However, since Gothic is not a terribly ambiguous
          language, I think that any and all solutions will be easily understood; I
          am not sure that, just for the purposes of communication, a single standard
          is absolutely necessary.

          >one more thing, would u think it a good idea to use the original gothic
          >alphabet (S-Type of Codex Arg.) on a webpage, or would u prefer ascii
          >(or both?). as im doing my page it would be great help to know what u
          >expect...

          I think a mix is a good idea. The Gothic alphabet is very attractive,
          and more accurate than any transcription, and should be used where
          possible; but of course it would not be immediately readable to most people.

          /\ WISTR LAG WIGS RAIHTS
          \/ WRAIQS NU IST <> David Salo
          <dsalo@...> <>

        • Eric Craven
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 2, 1998
            David Salo wrote:

            > >about hv for the character for "700", i would prefer some
            > >one-character-solution. it may sound weird, but i think its better to
            > >stay as close to the original as possible... i thought about using
            > fx.
            > >y, as it is not used otherwise, but this would be a far way from any
            > >associated shape, although it would be one letter....
            >
            > Some older transcriptions (in German) used "w" for hw (or hv, if
            > you
            > prefer) and "v" for w; this is workable, if a bit confusing to those
            > of us
            > who pronounce w in English fashion! The opposite ("v" = hw, "w" = w),
            > as
            > Edward suggested, is also fine. Other solutions (y, Y, O, etc.) seem
            > very
            > bizarre to the eye. However, since Gothic is not a terribly ambiguous
            > language, I think that any and all solutions will be easily
            > understood; I
            > am not sure that, just for the purposes of communication, a single
            > standard
            > is absolutely necessary.

            well, my idea was that, if we agree now on some "standard", it would be
            easier to exchange fx databases, because , well, it would be standard
            format...
            the gothic1 font uses v for thorn and (in my modified version) y for hv,

            if we could agree one some standard, we could use the ascii text both as
            standard ascii and gothic1 text, which would be the best way i think
            (one thing, i can change the gothic1-ttf, so we can use all characters,
            except numbers and z, as the [shareware] program doesnt convert them) i
            use hexweb typograph (i think thats the name) for pfr`s (currently just
            netscape, but who wants M$ anyway ;-) [sorry, but...]

            > >one more thing, would u think it a good idea to use the original
            > gothic
            > >alphabet (S-Type of Codex Arg.) on a webpage, or would u prefer ascii
            > >(or both?). as im doing my page it would be great help to know what u
            > >expect...
            >
            > I think a mix is a good idea. The Gothic alphabet is very
            > attractive,
            > and more accurate than any transcription, and should be used where
            > possible; but of course it would not be immediately readable to most
            > people.

            thank u thank u thank u, one person who likes my idea....
            well, if we could find some common ascii/gothic encoding, it would be no
            problem to let the user choose which he prefers, just some
            javascript.... but i dont want to write everything twice, just because
            we have different encodings...
            if anyone has any further suggestions, please

            tx
            eric