[gothic-l] translations...

  • Eric Craven
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 2, 1998
      is anyone willing to help me to translate some texts about gothic
      sources and scriptures from german into english? i tried, but these are
      university books, and i cannot accurately translate them without hours
      and hours of work with a dictionary. unfortunately, i am right now in
      japan, and i have no german-english dictionary at hand, and not the time
      to do it by using fx the online dict....
      if anyone is willing to help me, plse mail...
      i began the first text, so this is vaguely what it could be like
      (without any formatting yet)

      tx a lot

      eric

    • RenĂ© Gerritsen
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 2, 1998
        At 22:39 2-12-98 +0900, you wrote:
        >is anyone willing to help me to translate some texts about gothic
        >sources and scriptures from german into english? i tried, but these are
        >university books, and i cannot accurately translate them without hours
        >and hours of work with a dictionary. unfortunately, i am right now in
        >japan, and i have no german-english dictionary at hand, and not the time
        >to do it by using fx the online dict....
        >if anyone is willing to help me, plse mail...
        >i began the first text, so this is vaguely what it could be like
        >(without any formatting yet)
        >
        >tx a lot
        >
        >eric

        <snip>

        Looks like Braune/Ebbinghaus to me. I'm afraid my English isn't all that
        well, so translating the whole lot might be out of the question. Ofcourse -
        being a "Germanist" - I'd be glad to help! So if it's only
        Braune/Ebbinghaus "Einleitung" I could see if I have a spare minute left...
        Another option: If you've got trouble with some words you can mail them to
        me, and I'll do my best. There's a risk that you'll have to "translate" my
        suggestions into "real English"... ;-)

        Cheers,

        René
      • Christian Petersen
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 2, 1998
          Dear Colleagues,
          first of all: Netscape seems to enable us to display thorn and accented
          vowels.
          Second, The Wulfila Project is, indeed, not accessable in the moment.
          Tom did not announce to shut it down when we had our last
          correspondence.
          Finally, what Braune, Helm & Ebbinghaus meant in the first sentence of
          their chapter on the Gothic language was:
          'Our knowledge of the Gothic language is limited in many respect by the
          restricted availability of written records.'
          Ebbinghaus and me always have expressed the opinion that there ARE
          Gothic remnants to be discovered, for several reasons.
          However, good luck in your project!
          Chris
        • Eric Craven
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 2, 1998
            Christian Petersen wrote:

            Dear Colleagues,
            first of all: Netscape seems to enable us to display thorn and accented
            vowels.
            so has anybody any objections to using thorn and accented vowels??
            Second, The Wulfila Project is, indeed, not accessable in the moment.
            Tom did not announce to shut it down  when we had our last
            correspondence.
            should i copy what i have left to some server?? (copyright??)
            Finally, what Braune, Helm & Ebbinghaus meant in the first sentence of
            their chapter on the Gothic language was:
            'Our knowledge of the Gothic language is limited in many respect by the
            restricted availability of written records.'
            sorry about my translation, as i said my english is not that good
            Ebbinghaus and me
            hm, sounds like u know him... do u think it would be a problem to translate parts of the book (the things about the sources and the history) (of course quoting where we got it)?
            or does anyone else know about this and copyright??
             always have expressed the opinion that there ARE
            Gothic remnants to be discovered, for several reasons.
            However, good luck in your project!
            tx, well need it

            eric

            Free Web-based e-mail groups -- www.eGroups.com